Bull Sharks in New Zealand?

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bull Sharks in New Zealand?
    Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 11:27pm
Trenta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey team,

It has been a long time since I posted on this forum, but to break my silence, I wanted to ask if and in fact why there are no Bull Sharks in New Zealand?

I know there was a report of one being caught out of the Kapiti region?  a couple of years ago, but I think this turned out to the a bronze whaler??

I guess my question is, if they are globally widespread, and even so close as in the canals of the Gold Coast, then why arent they in New Zealand?  Australia, Americas, Africa, why not little ol New Zealand?

It is a good thing they are not in NZ, as they are a very aggressive shark....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 11:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

yepp we dont need those huas Trent..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 11:41pm
Mr Plastic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yea they swim up waterways even into fresh water and will eat your kids in a flash. very angry beasts!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 11:43pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

how the hell are you mate???

i am glad as hell we havent had any confrontations with these buggers, the Gt Whites are chickens compared to Bulls when it comes to tasting your limbs....  
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 12:00am
Trenta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Eric, I am all good thanks! 

There have been a lot of documentaries here in the UK recently on Bull Sharks, which got me thinking about why they are not in New Zealand, especially being in such close prosximity to the ones in OZ.

Majorly aggressive shark that one!  But whats to stop them crossing the ditch? 

Dont get me wrong, I dont want them in NZ at all, but more curious as to why they are not there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 12:12am
random View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

water temperature.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Beak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 8:26am
Beak View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I heard that they don't come because of the high New Zealand dollar, way cheaper to holiday in Thailand! Apparently they also buy their All Black rugby jerseys online! ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaeo Fella bay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 9:42am
Kaeo Fella bay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hahahahahaha crack up...

To be honest I'm going to buy my jersey online (sorry mate off topic)
Need to throw a line in the fish tank just to remember what it feels like
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Methesda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 10:00am
Methesda View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great Whites ate them all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 10:36am
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's my one fear that the Bull will make a move here, if they do bye bye property prices at Omaha.

It's too cold, how ever bronzies are from the same family as bulls.

The thing is we get tigers swimming around out wide, but no bulls yet they (very) generally speaking frequent the same water temps.

Both of them scare the jeebus out of me from a being in the water point of view.  But if they do move in then I wouldn't hesitate to tick them of my list of target species.  Have been pondering a trip to Oz to go get them as well.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 11:05am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One caught apparently off D'urville island back in 2006 (not sure if it was ratified or confirmed 100% though).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 11:08am
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Does anyone have a contact at Te Papa?

That would answer it
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 11:38am
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just imagine them swimming up the Waikato river.Would be great fun to target off the Tuakau bridge.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 12:25pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What makes you think bronzies are not already swimming upstream?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 12:38pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I know they are,but don"t know just quite how far.Hooked one at Quarry Point just upstream from Port Waikato once on a live kahawai.Seen a guy when I was carp fishing down at Huntly who was using a catfish as a livie for sharks.Don"t think he got any though......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aaron32987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 12:44pm
Aaron32987 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Zambizi Zambizi wrote:

It's my one fear that the Bull will make a move here, if they do bye bye property prices at Omaha.

The thing is we get tigers swimming around out wide, but no bulls yet they (very) generally speaking frequent the same water temps.

Both of them scare the jeebus out of me from a being in the water point of view.  But if they do move in then I wouldn't hesitate to tick them of my list of target species.  Have been pondering a trip to Oz to go get them as well.

The bull shark, Carcharhinus leucas, also known as Zambezi shark...

didn't know that till now!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 12:51pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah had that account name a bit before this one, just forgot the emai address and password for it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 1:06pm
mjl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Zambizi Zambizi wrote:

Tigers are pelagic bulls are not.
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. " Hunter S. Thompson
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 1:07pm
Standard Deluxe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We should be more concerned with whats eating them when they try and cross the ditch... :p
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 1:07pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Explains it, thanks dude.
Page  123 5>