Panga Boats

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nvstg8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Panga Boats
    Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 5:19pm
nvstg8r View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There is a very positive Boat review on the Panga in the June issue of Trade A Boat for those interested in this remarkable and economical little fishing vessel. Three of us got the limit the morning this photo was taken of 35/40 cm snapper in  less than an hour and a half off Ponui Island. Jeez we are lucky having such  great fishing resources such as the Waitemata.Thumbs Up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crazyeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 5:46pm
crazyeddy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Once you own one of these panga boats you never look back, apparently it is the worlds most popular and tested  boat, made for catching fish, easy to launch , versatile and economical to run.
By the way that shot is awesome! I bet you can only take shots like that of a panga boat!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote awawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 1:05am
awawa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

spam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:00am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spam-ish perhaps, but none the less to an extent true. Panga type boats.... yamaha longboats or whatever you want to call them, are the number one boat in the islands for sure. They look odd to our eyes as they are so long and skinny, but that waterline length makes them incredibly stable, and very fuel efficient... or at least, they need smaller horsepower to push them along than a similarly sized "normal" boat would need.
Their load carrying capacity is amazing as well.......
.... you see boats loaded like this all the time in the islands.
They certainly are comfortable thru a reasonable chop, as their length "connects the dots" of all the chopped wave-tops. However, they don't have a lot of gunnel height, so they do tend to be somewhat wet, which here in NZ with our cold weather and water is a definite drawback.
Personally for here in NZ, I would not want one. At least, not for use in open waters too much. If I were to be operating in more enclosed areas, like the hauraki gulf/waitemata harbour etc, where you are closer to home and can usually find your way in sheltered waters....well, yes, that'd be OK I guess.
Oh, and a boat that size above, a 22ftr, they are usually powered by a tiller steer 40hp. If you were looking for a boat to fish harbours etc with a limited horsepower budget...well, you'd be pushed to find a more capable boat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Huggybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:44am
Huggybear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Now that's a cool pic CA Thumbs Up! I count about 31 people on that boat which would be about 6-7m long?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Huggybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:48am
Huggybear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That sounds like a great trip in a great boat nvstg8r. Sound like you're chuffed with your toy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nvstg8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 10:40am
nvstg8r View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Jimmy Spithill (r) and his mate Aaron Toresen

It sure was a great morning Huggybear, and this last summer gone I just had a ball out there in the Gulf. I took out Jimmy Spithill (Oracle Helmsman) one morning and he had the best days fishing in his life he reckoned  and has since shipped to NZ his 18ft Yamaha (an Aussie built Panga) to fish here during his American Cup breaks. 

Heres Jimmy driving his other boat - but must say that I personally found it a bit hard drift fishing with softbaits around the rocks in this one and preferred my Panga Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Damo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 11:02am
Damo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah the low freeboard is a major down fall. good river or lake boats though for sure

www.charterconnection.co.nz
Facebook: Diversity-Fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crazyeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 12:44pm
crazyeddy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

When anchored because of its shallow draft the PANGA does not rock as much as a deep V-hull boat  does, the deep V-hull needs the higher gunnels otherwise it would be scooping in every second wave that would come in from the side, on top of that the deck of the PANGA is selfdraining, lower gunnels save weight, makes it a lot easyer to land that big fish and divers can easely enter the PANGA from the sides..... Higher sided pangas are available. for the recreational fisherman handrails are optional....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Landlocked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 3:59pm
Landlocked View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was that photo taken in the Motihue Channel CA????? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 5:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

:-) Yeah, out by A-bouy in the rangi channel.
Not :-)
Up in the Solomon Islands... and those boats often carry loads that size or larger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nvstg8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 7:05pm
nvstg8r View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I will say this CA, they are great for picking up birds too Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nvstg8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 7:54pm
nvstg8r View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I tell you what these Mexicans know how to launch a Panga boat - I thought I was rough on my boat !! LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Damo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:27pm
Damo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do you guys do a higher side panga or just the low slung one?

www.charterconnection.co.nz
Facebook: Diversity-Fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:37pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A mate of mine has a 26ft Panga, hes had it for a bit over 2 years. I have spent around 350hours at the wheel on it and having nothing but good this to say about it except in Winter make sure you have warm clothing!.

Its a very soft ride due to the length and narrow entry, the only time it get a bit hairy is when youre trolling along the side of a large rolling swell with a nasty wind behind it. Its also suprisingly dry too, been all over the place in it. West Coast over the Manukau bar, up North out of Toots, everywhere in the Hauraki, Entire of North and Eastern Coromandel and Cuvier Island and beyond. Aldermans and Mayor and well out the back gamefishing.

A very very good boat for the money.

It raises fish too....

This boat is just perfect for any jigging / topwater casting fisherman and is been a bloody good boat to gamefish out of. The only thing which lets it down with gamefishing is its height. Would be great if we could sit up on the roof to watch the lures.... maybe next Summer. 

Josh

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:49pm
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice looking boat that Josh, It has far higher sides than a traditional Panga ( which is good in my opinion).
Having owned a 7m Yamaha Longboat (Panga) I would say yes they are easily driven and have a nice ride in moderate chop, but the true pangas have a large planing pad in the aft so they dont have much of a  rear V which can make them a little hard riding in the rough, also the low sides can take a bit of getting used to.
Me and A mate bought our one in Whitianga, Boat, 40hp motor, 15hp aux and on a trailer for $3500 off trade me.
Have to say I laughed my ass off the first time I saw one adveertised on tarde me for 20k
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nvstg8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 10:19pm
nvstg8r View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think you can get a high sided one here,  havent seen one one but heard the importer can get them
?? . Mine is a low sided and I find it OK mind you I always wear a life jacket just in case that big Kingi wants to pull me in Smile.  Put a photo up Panga would like to see your one and hey, sounds like  great buy !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 10:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

For that money, I would have snapped it up too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote awawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 1:55am
awawa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Stu....not being critical of the boats themselves - absolutely no flies on this design. Born n raised in the tropics myself so super familiar with them...but yeah still "spam-ish" as u say. Seeing as everyone has been decent enough to focus on the positive - everything good everyone has said about these boats is true. And yes a side swell with some wind behind it can ocassionally give u the willies. Foam filled hull with scuppers takes care of any water over the top - yes they can be wet, and in the tropics its not such an issue except on really long rides when the boat is chokka, and then even the locals start to get a bit cold. The Hauraki Gulf and Bay Of Islands  is perfect for this boat. An option on some kinda shelter would be great tho - to cater to the NZ market. At least something for a cupla dudes to get outa the wind and rain when straylining for the moochers in winter. Ive considered this boat for a long time myself but lack the parking space for a 20ft+ version. Would love to plonk my 4stroke on a monster version tho - make for a pretty cheap days long range exploring. Oh yeah installing quality handrails over some or all of the gunnel provides good thigh support when playing a fish - takes care of the low sides issue. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 8:48am
Titanium
Titanium

When idling over the thought of getting one myself, the side rails were a must-have for me too :-) Preferably with clears run around them as well to keep off a bit more breeze and spray.