Lazercraft 580 sportfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote duncdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lazercraft 580 sportfish
    Posted: 20 May 2011 at 7:32pm
duncdiver View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, Im new to this forum and am chasing some info.

Im looking at buying a lazercraft 580 and would be interested in everyones opinion on 1. the build quality, 2. ride in a decent chop and 3. stability at rest etc. I have also been looking at the surtees 5.5 workmate and see a lot of info on them but not so much on the lazercraft. 

My mate has an older Lazercraft (I think around 99 to 2000, just after they changed from an 18 to 20 degree deadrise). They now have a strake in the hull and I was hoping that any owners of the 580 sportfish could give me their honest opinion of the later models 08/09.

thanks for your time
Duncan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 8:03pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Welcome to the Fishing website, lots of Surtees owners on here so you should get plenty of replies if not post on the Captain Morgan page. Can not comment on the Lazercraft as never been on one. But do own a Surtees 5.5m workmate great boat for fishing and hold there value and easy to launch and retrieve.  Surtees boats give fantastic service see there website also run a fantastic fishing comp yearly for Surtees boat owners.  Good luck with your boat hunting. 
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Force5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:08pm
Force5 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, Dont know the 580 but my old man had the 560 lazercraft, the Kerikeri dive shop had a 560 for its dive boat too a few years back which went very well with 4 pob and all the gear. I liked these two boats so much I got the 620, so I am probably biased to lazercraft. I have spent quite a bit of time on friends 5.5 surtees (very popular boat in the BOI!!) also so I can compare ride and stability. Ride would go to lazercraft no contest, very soft and straight ride whereas the 5.5 tend to ride on the chines at bit, this may be improved by keeping the ballast tank full when under way? (others may care to comment), stability at rest would  go to the surtees with the flooding ballast tank, but the 560 is not too bad. Build quality is pretty good on both boats, lazercraft fibreglass tops were a bit dodgy in some of the older models (pre 2000) but looks very good now. For me the lazercraft is a better boat but as I said I am biased. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mark Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:51pm
Mark Mac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've been on both. Lazer, no contest. Better ride, finish and looks cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 4:06pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We had a Southern Sportz 580 in our fleet for a while. Similar hull to the Lazer. Ride was great, but stability at rest was so horrible that we got rid of it. My personal opinion is that the Southern/Lazer fine entry, deep V hull shape doesn't work that well under 6.0 - 6.5m as the boat lacks enough size and weight to provide acceptable stability at rest. If you sea trial one, try doing a drift in a sloppy sea with 2 or more guys fishing on one side as you may well do in reality.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 4:35pm
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good advice from tagit. And I agree  it's very difficult to get a sub 6m alloy boat to have a reasonable ride and stability - the compromise just doesn't seem achievable in that length boat. Under 5m ally boats come back into contention for their lite weight and convenience - and over 6m they can be made to work. If I was looking at a boat in the 5.5 - 6m range I'd look very seriously at a sea nymph or haines glass boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fluffy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 6:35pm
fluffy1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Southern  and Lazer boats are made in the same factory now. I guess they are different designs but are pretty similar.
The only boat ive been on is the 605ht.
It rode really well in all conditions. Heaps of trips to barrier and channel island no probs.
But was pretty tender when jigging with a few guys on the rail.
Agree with tagit.
But its a bit of a compromise as the real stable tinnies are hard riding in the chop.
Take a few for a test and form your own conclusions.
My 2c.
Kojak Custom Rods.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 7:45pm
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats why the surtees has the ballast tank which makes a big diffrence for a alloy boat with it full its as stable as my 16ft fibreglass steadecraft was but the ride of the surtees is a lot better than my old boat with the deeper v and shape of the bow
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 8:06pm
Hurf View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

We had a Southern Sportz 580 in our fleet for a while. Similar hull to the Lazer. Ride was great, but stability at rest was so horrible that we got rid of it. My personal opinion is that the Southern/Lazer fine entry, deep V hull shape doesn't work that well under 6.0 - 6.5m as the boat lacks enough size and weight to provide acceptable stability at rest. If you sea trial one, try doing a drift in a sloppy sea with 2 or more guys fishing on one side as you may well do in reality.
Try a Stabicraft as well and yes i am baised.
THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORAL IMPROVES.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deltadreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:05pm
deltadreams View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Diver

If you can get a copy of May edition of Bay Fisher Magazine, there is a boat test for a Kingfisher 575 that might be worth a read for you, before you make your choice of boat.

Good Luck
DD.

Remember: it's not a fish until it's landed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluesignature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 10:07pm
bluesignature View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

lazer and southern are now built in the same factory but have completely different hulls the southern has more beam and a 20degree deadrise whereas the lazer has an 18 degree deadrise.i understand that in the sometime in the future the lazer will use the new gen 2 southern hull as its a newer hull design but they will still have the fibreglass insert like they do now.lazercraft was designed by gavin childs southern (gen 1) i believe was mike combs