Who's been tying?

Page  <1 7071727374 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 10:23pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Ahab Ahab wrote:

I had a crack at a big red squid.

O'shea likey!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 7:31am
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome flies Shaun - as per usual!!
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 4:33pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The HFKC [Harbour Flat Kingy Candy]
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 5:37pm
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OOOH thats nice!
Nearly time.
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 5:44pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

The HFKC [Harbour Flat Kingy Candy]

Yerp, they'll eat that!
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 7:58pm
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Those HFKC flies are useless on large, feisty kingies... you better send them here and I'll use them for 2lb trout...    ...Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:22pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip,
that patterns been tested and approved with a no questions eat last summer

Ive just fine tunned it a bit, biggest change being the use of a #6 Hook
My orgiinal tys were on a #2, and I think I was pretty lucky to get away with it when I look at the Wire gauge,
Especially now im on The Predator 11 weight im expecting to be able to put a far bit more pressure on a fish.
would suck toloose a fish to a bent hook[Learnt that the hard way a few times in Aitutaki].
Man im itching to go fishing,
as soon as this weather sorts itself out, my workplace is going to be one man down,
FBF AWOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

WTF? Seriously Bro, I fish flies very similar to that and never in less than 4/0, most often in 6/0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 5:12pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah serious,
told ya I was lucky to get away with it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 7:51am
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Christmas decorations are for sale at the Warehouse! Beer  Party  Thumbs Up

There's a type of crinkly flash that looks very much like lateral scale - I've seen it in a very light gold and red.  There's also holographic silver flash, and a nice pearl.  $3 a hank.  The strands are wider than flashabou, but very usable.

There's also little packets of shredded mylar in various colours, including a really nice pearl.  It looks a bit like coarse angelina fibres.  You can use individual strands as a delicate flash material, or tie a clump around the hook and brush out etc.  Cool stuff. 
I've seen it in gold, pearl, red, copper.  $3 for a good handful of the stuff. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:32am
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great tip!!
Thanks heaps Rudy Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weemandan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:53am
Weemandan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I can vouch for the fine shredded pearl flash stuff, have a packet and tied a few with it, liooks good and great for plumping up the body of baitfish flies.
The thicker pearl flash stuff looks awesome as the stripe down a piper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 12:05pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good news about the Chrissie decorations Rudy, that's how I got started down this enlightened path. I bought 3 200m spools of narrow ribbon for tying Worthington's Worms, and it looks like it will last the rest of my life. Cost, $6.

I always feel a slight twinge of guilt about buying stuff away from my local tackle suppliers. As I get more and more experienced, I tie fewer flies better, so spending more on top quality stuff is not such a big issue.

I actually have a strict fishing budget (accountant wife!), which I ensure all gets spent at the fly shop. Outside of this, I can spend at the junk shops and it gets allocated to "miscellaneous".

Thanks for the reminder!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

Several years ago i went mental in a warehouse sale and bought $15.00 worth of flytying material. I am still trying to find ways to use it all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 6:26am
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yep unless you have specific fly in mind when you buy the stuff most likely not going to use it. i have purchased a lot of cheap materials from the wharehouse and spotlight over the years and now its just collecting dust.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 7:24am
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Several years ago I went mental in a fly shop sale and bought $15 worth of fly tying material. 

I am still trying to find ways to use it all.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:27am
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

LOL  Tongue  Send the spare stuff over to me Rudy, I'll help ya get rid of it...!
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:35am
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ask Clark and nympho - they seems to buy stuff they don't use.   Wink 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:30pm
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I think that kind of material is the best option when you want to tie massive feather duster size flies for kings/pike/anything big and don't want to use 3 packets of 10$ material on each...

Then I agree that for small flies you're often better off using stuff from the flyshop.

Also great for making draft/test of new ideas when you begin I reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 2:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

New Hat, New Rod, Newly tied Flare Tail Deceiver.... 
Page  <1 7071727374 123>