Who's been tying?

Page  <1 6768697071 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 11:50am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well it was in the early stages of tying creases and I'd like to think I tie them a hell of a lot better now... but here it is ... http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/tying-the-crease-fly_topic19265.html

Tying is identical AHab, just make them a bit smaller. Depends on what size Kahawai you're going for because for the better Kahawai worth casting for (2 kg plus) they eat the 4/0's as well as the Kingies.

I have changed my tying of them a lot lately. I don't use long shanks anymore, I like shorter shanks and BIG cup faces for maximum water movement, they look uglier but work better. 

www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 2:59pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's the one mate.

I've also changed a few bits as the years have gone on.
I've stuck to 34007's - 1/0 and 2/0 are excellent sizes and really give a big stir up when needed - Big ones also get a swim when conditions are right.
Another good tip is when designing that face, make it a forward cupped face rather than slanted or experiment with your own design. Sometimes that skitter is better than the bloop and vice versa.

One thing if you re-read that thread is that it's super important to get weight at the bottom of the fly. If you don't and then epoxy over it, the flies sometimes tend to swim on their sides depending on where the weight of the epoxy runs and sets to.

It's not a major disaster if the fly sits a little deeper in the water either.
As the fish rush up to attack, it's easier for them to crunch it as opposed to those super high riding jobs that tend to move away at the worst possible time....usually when the fish has the mouth open and charging forward.

If you want these things to be bullet proof, go the route of putting a mylar tubing over them and epoxying it. It's a tedious exercise, but man, they come up looking like a million bucks!
The fish don't care either way if you don't do this, so don't sweat it.
I tend to mark them with permanent markers to mimic local baitfish colours too.

Edit-
Here are some creases I tied up a week or so ago.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 5:00pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Beaut flies Kev!!

Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 5:22pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah if i was a kahawai I'd go nom-nom-nom
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:33pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Thanks Kev and Clark, useful stuff.

I have some tubing and plenty of time at the mo'.

Out of interest, Kev, how do you rate the good old 34007 Mustad? 

Tom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 10:49am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Ahab Ahab wrote:

.............Out of interest, Kev, how do you rate the good old 34007 Mustad? 

Hey Tom,

Ah mate, it's a love/hate relationship with these things.

I have literally thousands of 34007's that are the old hook before they changed to Chinese manufacturing.
Not long ago I had a dummy spit because a big snapper crunched a hook and I ended up losing it.

In having said that, they were the go to hook for many many years in salt water and some great fish were caught on them. As with most things in life, technology goes forward and better hooks get designed and made.

The hooks are fine for most species if you know the limitations of the hook and fish within them, then they don't open up. I love fishing light tippets in general - 4 and 6kg being my favourite.

The newer hooks are definitely weaker than the originals and open up - no sugar coating it.Ouch
You can also see the quality of the finish on them - almost tinny.
(I was sent some new ones just recently and did my own unscientific tests.) Connected them up to strong dacron and a set of scales and pulled in different angles to mimic the fight.
The size was 2/0 as this is my go to size really - most opened up at about 4.5 kg or thereabouts.

The older ones are fine for Kahawai and a range of other fish, but if you're hooked up to a fish of a lifetime, I would like to know I'm connected with something decent.

Everyone is going to have their own opinions, so what is good for one might not be for the other or vice versa.

34007's work great for Creasies though in my humble opinion.

What I also do like about the 34007's is that they are easily available, relatively cheap and you can put an edge on them that you'd be able to shave with.
You can also retouch them up time and again unlike the chemically sharpened hooks.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:35pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Interesting, thanks Kev.

I too started with them when they were the only hook available. I also really like how well they sharpen up. 

I know what you mean about the "tinniness" of the new ones. Not something I've used.

My current hook of choice outside those superb Mustads you sold me is the VMC Walleye. They're not dedictated fly hooks, but the eye is in line and only slightly kinked back. Very strong for the size, and not chemically sharpened.

I actually find that I can sharpen chemically sharpened hooks up OK. The sharpened area tends to rust faster than the surrounding hook, though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:40pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

clouser 2clousersa few newbie clousers so far....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 3:15pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yum!!
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 3:18pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Beaut flies, Craig! Not the work of a newbie at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 3:42pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

just been watching and copying the videos on www.intheriffle.com  a few more i want o try ....picked up some supplies from rod and reel today.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 4:35pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They'll go all right for sure!

Cool tie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 5:30pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah ,nice work buddy

Looks like abit of ya Boatbuilding eye for detail coming threw thereClap

The charteuse over white is actually my favourite Salt Fly,
Lefty Krehs Caught 90 different species of Fish on that patternCool

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 12:05am
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

a few more done.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 10:57am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Beauties, Craig- highly professional clousers. Those crazy charlies will be real snapper killers. I like that style of fly for smaller snaps. They can get the whole thing in their mouths in a single gulp, whereas the longer flies, they seem to grab at.

Keep 'em coming!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 6:21pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I've been experimenting with rabbit on articulated shanks. Going for a piper here. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:57pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

a few more for the goodies box....learning and copying...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 8:17pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

first attempt at a crab.....got some normal legs coming soon....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 8:16am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great Crab , keep fishing it once the legs have gone and you have a good looking baby flounder. I have found the baby flounder flies work really well from December onwards. Best thing I have found is to stake out a mud/sand  flat when it is really glassy and look for the tiny fee wakes as the little guys try to evade the predators, if the fish remain un spooked you can see snapper try to take them from the surface!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 8:41am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

More beaut work, Craig! I've never tied a crab or a flounder, but you've inspired me. Planning a big night at bench this eve.

After reading Nicolaj's Big Angry Fish articles about kings eating squid, I'm all keyed up to tie a few patterns, especially after what Craig W said here about big snapper being in close and eating squid. Maybe get a chance at both kings and squid-snaffling uber-snaps!

In particular, it was interesting what Nicolaj said about white squid= dead, red squid = absolutely petrified and about to be gulped down by a king. Accordingly, I now have a lot of red material to play with. I'd never thought about this before, and all my previous squid patterns were white, like I'm used to seeing squid for bait/food. Silly mistake now I think about it- all the squid I've seen in the water have been every single colour except white.
Page  <1 6768697071 123>