Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 589590591592593 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 7:49pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

Anyone else going to FCOs club nite?

yep Im planning on going
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote VernMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 8:04pm
VernMan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When is it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 8:10pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

tomorrow 6pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote VernMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 3:37pm
VernMan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

See you guys there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver9888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 4:06pm
Diver9888 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Do it today because tomorrow has a habit of not turning out the way you want
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boxee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:50pm
Boxee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Clearing a few rods if any of the locals are interested, cheers.

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/one-piece-rods-wgtn_topic100438.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:29am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

anyone make it to FCO? I heard there were some deals on sounder/plotters? 

Ugly as outside today...good steak and cheese pie and rig tying weather...come to think of it any weather is good for steak n cheese pies Big smile Anyone else noticed that their fishing day goes a little better if there's a pie stop on the way to launch the boat? 

Small merchant vessel sitting on anchor down the southern end of the harbour has wisely decided to let this storm pass before heading out. Hope this storm don't blow all the snaps away! Given all the E in it, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the water temp particularly if the ST convergence zone gets pushed into the strait. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:03am
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yeah I went. resisted the temptation to flex the plastic. Like the look of some of ChrisW's new jigstar products but seems like they are some way off being available. His new ultra light jigging rod looks the business.

Only came away with a couple of packs of my favourite ZMan's at the usual price so didnt have to hide anything in the garage before going through the front door/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatonut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:19am
Tomatonut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone know if I can view the chart detail on my Navionics platinum card at home on the PC.
Looks like its going to be crappy weather so I might just sit down with a drink and explore.
I thought the chart I'd bought with the new Lowrance gen 2 was crap until I found the button that said switch to Navionics chart. Christ there's a lot of detail when zoomed in.
Cheers.
Rosco
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 1:11pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure if it's possible Rosco but surely you'd be able to use the navico website to view it? I've got the platinum app on my iPhone and spend a lot of time sussing out new spots. It works v well, especially using the fish n chips.  

Some banter about epirbs in here the other other day...here's some proof how handy they can be: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9953930/Beacon-saves-the-day-for-fisherman 

Hope I never have to use mine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatonut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 3:29pm
Tomatonut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Davo,
Not sure if we work for the same crowd or not. I have a quid if that helps.
I downloaded the Navico site but it doesn't show a fraction of the detail.
Tried plugging the Platinum card into a reader and it freaked me out with warnings.
Lowrance recommend not playing about with it while the boats on dry land maybe because the transducers operating but I'd love to have a long slow look around the chart. Perfect weekend to try.
Cheers.
Rosco
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 5:06pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Could just download the LINZ charts Tomatonut? They should be essentially the same as the Navionics ones. Rumour has it Navionics make some pretty tricky firmware changes to their cards that render them unusable if plugged into a regular card reader. Or at least if you progress to actually reading the files. I think they give you the chance to back out...

They can do this because SD cards have their own microcontrollers and aren't just passive 'discs', so it sounds realistic. Otherwise everybody would be hacking and copying the things flat out.

If you do want to have a look on the Lowrance you could always turn sonar off to save the transducer from cooking itself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatonut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 5:25pm
Tomatonut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the info Mullins (Dave) isn't it. One of my workmates Woody seems to know you well.
You seem to understand this electronic stuff a lot better than me. I wasn't aware I could turn the transducer off and still use the map. I can change to demo mode but it doesn't show a fraction of what's actually on the card.
I watch your input regularly on the spears forum but alas my diving days are over after a couple of blackouts some years back. Great seeing your achievements and the depths you're doing.
Cheers.
Rosco
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danmuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:21pm
danmuss View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

Ugly as outside today...good steak and cheese pie ...come to think of it any weather is good for steak n cheese pies Big smile Anyone else noticed that their fishing day goes a little better if there's a pie stop on the way to launch the boat?

Got 11years baking under my belt bud had plenty of em LOL
A good mate/old work buddy works at Petone packies & won gold for his steak n cheese pies at the bakels pie awards earlier in the yearStar  Just sayin Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:05pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best i be checking out packies then eh Dan :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danmuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:33pm
danmuss View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sure thing Davo Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wavecrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 12:11pm
Wavecrusher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Davo,

Pie's are mandatory prior to a fish, in fact on our drive up to the three kings we made a significant investment and checked many pie shops along the way. Results (I maybe corrected) was the best pie award going to the small backery on SH1 in Waikanae and the worst to our old faithful pie shop in Wellsford - although Wellsford scoreded a extra half a point for free tomato sauce.

So where is the best pie fisho's?

and spent a few days in Cabo San Lucas last week too... didn't manage a fish (they were catching huge yellowfin and small marlin) but did get out and saw some humpbacks which was pretty cool. 2.5 hours flight from LA and well worth stop over. Found the new fishing boat as well :)

Charity donations welcome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 12:33pm
danp View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Groundswell is pumping into Titahi Bay beach this morning 6ft+ havn't seen it like this for ages.  The surfers are happy for sure...

Hopefully those swells are encouraging the Snaps to swim further south
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Glenozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 2:27pm
Glenozza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Lovely couple of hours this morning out on the yak out west. Rolling swell but very sheltered from the easterly breeze. Good to see the snaps still in close after those southerlies. A few others took the bait too - ticks, trevs, and the usual ky. These tropical cyclones seem to bring some beauty weather windows to wellie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 4:51pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So where is the best pie fisho's?

Wild Bean's peppered steak ones are not too bad
Page  <1 589590591592593 793>