Rash

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazy Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 8:55am
Crazy Cuda View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've now dispensed with using lube altogether. I've found that water on its own works fine. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gundry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:00am
Gundry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use a Anti Bacterial and Anti Septic Hand wash for lube and I have never got a rash and I always clean it after use with fresh water and I make sure the inside Open cell drys properly and have never had a problem.  On another note how is your diving going mez??
Winter is Meh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:27am
Mez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey mate,

The divings going good!
Thanks for your help the other day am a crap load more confident now adays.

Shot a couple of blue mao mao, and gathered a feed of muscles during a trip to coromandel recently, was very pleased i managed to get rid of some of the stuff i was struggling with the last tiime we were in the pool.

Breath hold still sucks though, i have a bottom time of 5 -1 0 secs at 5 - 6 metres of water, and i still have a problem equalizing, and i am wondering if its because of the pressure built up inside my hood.

But yea its definately goign well, thank goodness because i was starting to get alittle annoyed at my inability to dive!

But after spending a good few hours in the water i can now dive freely and easily.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 10:40am
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Ergo_Rapido Ergo_Rapido wrote:

Sorry for hijacking but I suppose this is similar... Anyone get any problems with wetsuit rubbing behind the knees? This is only after longish dives, 5-6+ hours in the wetsuit... any ideas how to stop it happening or reduce it?

Yep had this with both of my wetsuit legs.  I put it down to not a propper fit as I have chicken legs.  And it only happens after 6 hours swimming like you.  Not too sure how to prevent it, but I have grown use to it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ergo_Rapido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 4:47pm
Ergo_Rapido View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hmm, I suppose it must be our exceptional in-water endurance that must be the real problem then aye Rusky Wink
Chuck Norris will never have a heart attack. His heart isn't nearly foolish enough to attack him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 5:40pm
dscotch View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Paul G Paul G wrote:

Rinse your suit after diving and dry your suit in the sun.
Try aqueous cream for lube. It is great and cheap. Buy it in tubs from the chemist.

+1
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MC hammerhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 11:15pm
MC hammerhead View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I saw some nadalube at farmlands today I was about to buy some until I noticed it said keep away from skin may cause irritation and it also contained a chemical which is a spermicide.. Do you find it alright to use Nick? anyone else give it the ok?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JAKE D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:58am
JAKE D View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Ergo_Rapido Ergo_Rapido wrote:

Sorry for hijacking but I suppose this is similar... Anyone get any problems with wetsuit rubbing behind the knees? This is only after longish dives, 5-6+ hours in the wetsuit... any ideas how to stop it happening or reduce it?
this used to happen to me and it was because my suit was to baggy around the legs so there was lots of friction=rash
i fixed it by rubbing vasaline on the back of my legs to decrease friction, and its not water souluble so it stays on during the dive. or you could do what we do in downhill to stop chaffing from our knee pads and thats to wear a a bit of lycra around our knees then put the knee pads over the top...i guess the same could be used for diving
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 1:47pm
spearbean View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I just use a little palmolive dishwashing liquid with water, no rash on me, maybe "its tough on dishes soft on skin"....ha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote oldfela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 3:56pm
oldfela View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by spearbean spearbean wrote:

I just use a little palmolive dishwashing liquid with water, no rash on me, maybe "its tough on dishes soft on skin"....ha
I use to but yellow food colouring  in the vet lube so it didn,t look like water ,and a mate thought we were using dish liquid ,so started using sunlight as a lube end up taking all the skin off his nutts and oldfela ,very painfullLOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 4:01pm
spearbean View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

baahahahaha, I only use the blue stuff, as thats what the mrs buys at the shop. Thanks for the tip, ill stay away from that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 9:04pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Originally posted by Crazy Cuda Crazy Cuda wrote:

I've now dispensed with using lube altogether. I've found that water on its own works fine. 

+1. Haven't used lube for years, nor have any of the folk I dive with regularly and none experience skin problems whereas previously they were common.
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 9:37pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

+1 on that.
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ergo_Rapido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 10:17pm
Ergo_Rapido View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

And you're using open cell suits presumably?
Chuck Norris will never have a heart attack. His heart isn't nearly foolish enough to attack him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 10:29pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

roger. All brands, cheap or otherwise, they're much the same. The less crap you seal against your body for 6 hours the better. If you piss in your suit, that's no good for your skin so either get a scupper or scissor your long johns into waist highs and just leak by pulling up your jacket and lowering your....you get the drift. But soap/ detergent/ lube is bad-no question.
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:40pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by long john long john wrote:

roger. All brands, cheap or otherwise, they're much the same. The less crap you seal against your body for 6 hours the better. If you piss in your suit, that's no good for your skin so either get a scupper or scissor your long johns into waist highs and just leak by pulling up your jacket and lowering your....you get the drift. But soap/ detergent/ lube is bad-no question.
I always use lube and have no problems. Pissing in my suit is only a problem for others! I find chafing mainly happens when your suit gets a bit older. As was said previously, rubbing vaseline in behind your knees if you know you are having a big day works. I tend to use shampoo/conditioner for lube 'cos it leaves my hair shiny and glossy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Azazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:36pm
Azazel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As I don't have the haircare concerns that DD has for his extensive pelt, I'm moving in the 'no lube' direction too - especially over summer. I've got some anti-rash stuff that works pretty well, but I figure if I can avoid it altogether, then why wouldn't I?

Getting into your suit in the water works best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:47pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My new freediving suit has a nylon inner lining - put it on dry, very nice.

It's 1.5mm so wouldn't use that one for spearfishing but my girlfriend has a 3mm in the same style (nylon inner, smooth outer) and reckons it's great.

For the lube-required suits, I tend not to get any skin problems when I use conditioner. Main thing seems to be to dry the suit after each dive to prevent anything growing on it. A couple of my suits would go on with just water but the smoothies wouldn't. How are those leg hairs Chris?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Azazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 3:31pm
Azazel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mullins Mullins wrote:

How are those leg hairs Chris?
Thinning noticeably.

Putting on a 3mm smoothie completely dry isn't something I'd recommend wholehartedly, but it is possible!
Page  <12