Top of the South Posts

Page  123 159>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top of the South Posts
    Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 8:31pm
SpearoMike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, i thought since there is more and more of us from the Top of the South that its time to start a thread rather than flicking through the CHC one as we do. So lets see if we can maintain one!

So, today went for a splash (after work) at a close but slightly known place to Nelson. Swell map said flat, well i can tell you it was not even close. I would say at best there would have been some rollers at around 1mtr. Myself and Bokken plus a newby went out. Feel sorry for the newby in these sorts of conditions.

Water temp was very warm, so much so i was getting sweat in my eyes. Viz was a hazy 4 to 5 mtrs, not even close to the 10mtrs earlier in the week.

Hard going with the swell and current pumping made it hard work getting even 100 mtrs off shore.

Bokken went down about 30min before we arrive and dropped a burley. So by the time we made it there, heaps and small snapper. The slightly larger ones (maybe legal) were off like a flash. Lots of too small Moki, blue cod and a few goat fish (red mullet).  Swam past a not bad Trev but gun was pointing the wrong way. First one i have seen in these waters.

After about 40min of feeling a little cageyDead, we called it a day. Managed to get 3 butters in the end, so not all hope was lost (very close though) Would have had another but fell for the 'shooting line wrapped around the reel on the gun' trick.
So, water is very warm. Kingfish will be in very soon if not already.

Not the most thrilling outing but better than the alternative.
Mike Thumbs Up

here fishy fishy.......... ><(((((º> ............><(((((º>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote h20boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 8:54pm
h20boy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good on ya for getting it started man, I also went out for a dive today. I had to do a job down tennyson inlet figured there wasn't gonna be much fish life but just needed to get in the water. Water was damn near tropical, saw a couple of tiny kawhai and a heap of spottys but thats about it. All in all pretty sad trip but at least I got wetWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:15pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, lets hope there is a few posts to keep it going. I know there is more and more of us floating around now.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bokken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:17pm
bokken View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yes certainly came crashing back to earth after yesterdays effort. can't believe how rough and windy it was out there. there was not a breath of wind at my house when I got home. david was not completely turned off by the events of the day, so I'll have to take him else soon. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troy Tempest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:20pm
Troy Tempest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh crap...
Kaikoura.  Top of the south or Canterbury.

More politics!!!
·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>
.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>

Just quietly getting on with it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Should i answer like a politican too? Well its a bit of both really!

Well, i think its closer to us but i am sure the CHC guys would see it their way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bokken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:45pm
bokken View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I propose a nostalgic journey though yesteryear by upoloading a few pics or stories of great dives had. er.... like showing what the area has to offer sort of thing.

me first.

boulder bank last summer, note the absence of knife in holster

first cray successfully extracted from its hole. luckily turned out to be of legal size. port underwood last summer.

boulderbank kingie

a hard drive crash I had means I don't have any older ones to share, so I'll redux yesterdays effort out of hori bay in this thread.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Benno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:52pm
Benno View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looks like primo scenery down there... good efforts dudes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:55pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by SperoMike SperoMike wrote:

Should i answer like a politican too? Well its a bit of both really!

Well, i think its closer to us but i am sure the CHC guys would see it their way.

Kaikoura is clearly part of the Marlborough Province so it belongs to us. But we do not really need their kind polluting this thread so kai trips would probably be shared between the threads.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote h20boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 10:22pm
h20boy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice pics, some good catches there, heres some of mine from the last few dives.

Me and a mate got these just out of Okiwi Bay

And they tasted awesome recipe care of NZ Spearo.

Compliments of kaikoura 49cm i thought it was the biggest of the trip then my mate brought out a 52cm Angry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 11:29pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK How about north of the kaikoura peninsula belongs to this thread, or else we will only hear about grumpy farmers and XXL Crays at Banks Peninsula in the Canterbury thread Wacko
We plan to go stay at my sister's at clarence over xmas (ish), will look forward to being able to post in this thread too
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 8:06am
Platinum
Platinum

good one felix, just to confuse us all. How abouts if you live in the TOP OF THE SOUTH you post in here, if you CHC guys want to put things in then cool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:07am
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by SperoMike SperoMike wrote:

good one felix, just to confuse us all. How abouts i you live in the TOP OF THE SOUTH you post in here, if you CHC guys want to put things in then cool.
except for if you dive on a tuesday or a month with an R in it, then we put it in the wellington vis report?? Is that confusing enough?Ouch
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troy Tempest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:17am
Troy Tempest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Or just post it in both threads for twice the skiting!! 
·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>
.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>

Just quietly getting on with it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 3:41pm
mustang View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So what happens if you live in Ch Ch but have a dive in TOTS and actually catch something? Like when I camp at Totaranui and get a few fish? Let's face it, half of Nelson and Tasman becomes Cantabrians over the Christmas New Year anywayWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seabreeze1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 5:48pm
seabreeze1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

excellent,good to see someone keen to show there effort of the day,being a newbie hope
to add some pic soon fingers crossed,nice to see a tots thread didnt think there were many
guys this way hard to tell through the ch ch clang,also if anyones keen to help
out a beginer and show how its all done just p.m myself ,can head out any time any day........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 7:10pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mustang mustang wrote:

So what happens if you live in Ch Ch but have a dive in TOTS and actually catch something? Like when I camp at Totaranui and get a few fish? Let's face it, half of Nelson and Tasman becomes Cantabrians over the Christmas New Year anywayWink

True but lets not make this to complicated aye! Hows about just posting where your heart calls you too.

If i dive in Auckland i am still going to Post in here, its all about seeing what people in our region are getting up to, should they be diving in Top of the South or Stewart Island/BOI.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:07pm
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Haven't been for a dive for a few weeks Cry

Need to get out soon tho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Febster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:36pm
Febster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey good to see a top of the south thread! im going too the boulder bank tomorrow (sunday) just before low tide is anyone else keen too come ive only just started so preety new too diving.
cheerz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote h20boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 10:22pm
h20boy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Could be keen what times low tide.

Page  123 159>