trolling poppers

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trolling poppers
    Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 11:57pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just wondering how you connect your terminal tackle to the poppers what length of trace/swivel etc how far behind the boat and at what speed?

Thankyou
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 7:50am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Poppers can make good lures trolled at low speeds. Especially good teasers. It is often a very good ploy to cast out your popper and troll it behind the boat as you mooch along looking for surface activity or from structure to structure, you never know what may come up for a smack at it. Just have it rigged and on you popper set-up as you normally would really, why rig it any otehr way? For trolling for gamefish etc, there are better lures to use than poppers though. If you fancy a hardbody lure for gamefish, go for a Cedar plug or a Sperry lure (do they still make those BTW? Haven't seen them for yonks).
  That is, surface running hardbody lures. If you want subsurface hardbody lures, go for trembler/bibless minnows. They run great at speeds good for skirted lures, and are deadly lures on tunas, kingies etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 8:51am
Titanium
Titanium

I'm talking bout the ones you tow behind boats Ive always called them poppers or lures fifn't k now there was a real difference
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 8:55am
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I cast poppers already got heaps but I was wanting something to troll around in close to structure for kingys, was just wondering what types you guys used, speed whilst trolling etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 9:03am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by stellajigger stellajigger wrote:

Well said Chris.Y

No not really, I may need to check the use of my fishing terminology as I thought lures poppers etc were all the same well atleast they are to me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris.Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 9:39am
Chris.Y View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If lures, poppers and pushers are all the same to you then you can use what ever you wish Confused, just continue on your blissfull journey and learn the hard way.

Lures like poppers and stickbaits are not the same , $hit mate poppers and poppers are not the same, they may look like a bit of broom handle sometimes but they will still need to be used in a particular way to get the best action from them. Poppers are casting lures

Pushers ie black barts etc are trolling lures, maybe you should just troll a bucktail jig and a jethead behind you, they will catch fish too, much cheaper than using one of your many poppers 
Fly's Eye's
Hangin' out to fish!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 10:03am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Chris.Y Chris.Y wrote:

If lures, poppers and pushers are all the same to you then you can use what ever you wish Confused, just continue on your blissfull journey and learn the hard way.

Lures like poppers and stickbaits are not the same , $hit mate poppers and poppers are not the same, they may look like a bit of broom handle sometimes but they will still need to be used in a particular way to get the best action from them. Poppers are casting lures

Pushers ie black barts etc are trolling lures, maybe you should just troll a bucktail jig and a jethead behind you, they will catch fish too, much cheaper than using one of your many poppers 
I don't want to learn the hard way hence the question,asking questions IMO is how you learn or being out there doing it, so you don't cary on a blissful journey learning the hard way

So I'll look for pushers then just wanted something for kingfish and kahawai only tried it once and twice with little results hence question.

I've got lures etc I merely got my terminology wrong,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 12:13pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nomad fishing and Extreme sportsfishing ( sometimes) troll stick baits behind their boats , Nomad have caught small marlin and Ginga , kingis. So good luck . Looking at what you asked about connections etc and distance  ,you could use either the standard popper/ stickbait set up or probably use light game gear, I'd just keep letting the popper /stickbait out until it swims properly as it would depend on speed / swell etc . If it was me I'd use a sinking stickbait ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 12:16pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No Need to be hard on this young man(Forum rules)...we all start somewhere....I can remember some very uncool moments on my path to still non perfectness.Disapprove
To give you a straight answer....have a chat with your friendly local tackle store...They will give you all the advice you need and wont look down their nose at youWink
My two cents= I have trolled poppers at great barrier with great success over a certain reef...not my favoured method...prefer to cast and vary the action...Rapalla's would be a great place for you to start...cd 18 has long been the standard but the x-rap 30 is very good(more pricey) and will dive down up  to 3o feet....Check the action just out from the boat at a given speed to see what gives it the best action...Its a lazy way to target them and probably not the best method but you do cover a lot of ground and the strikes are exciting.Make sure your drag is good enough to set the hooks but not overly high.A fast moving yacht could pull it along ok.You have to guard against line twist.You can get proper swivels especially for trolling.I use a ball bearing swivel(have used coastlocks as well) and split ring at the lure and try to make sure your trace will not rub on the lip of the rapala(during the fight this can result in lost fish).For kings 80/100 leader(flouro if you are keen or mono leader) of a metre and a half would do,i use another swivel to join mainline..20/30 metres back to the side of the wash will do...If trolling two....one in closer than the other.Edge your bets...
Good luck..Like all fishing,experimenting is good fun and thats what its all about isnt it?Wink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 1:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I'm a landbased fisho don't know much about trolling behind boat, thought it would be choice to drive out to fishing grounds with a lure in tow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 4:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

(Edit: please excuse the various typos, I was in a hurry)

Ahhhh.... now it becomes much clearer. OK, like LBD2 says, trolling a CD18 rapala or some such would be a really good option for you.
Trolling surface lures, like marlin lures/ skirted lures is very very easy, they just sit behind the boat and you can go from 5-10knots and they will work.

These are marlin lures, is this what you had in mind? They will work for kingies, but are a little overkill really.

This mix of lures is some more like what you'd use for kingies etc.
The smaller "skirted" lures are good, and can run at a slightly higher speed than the hard body lures.
 The lures in the top right are "Poppers", which are really intended to be used as casting lures.
The lures in the bottom left as "bibless minnows" and also are very effective on kingies, and have the advantage of being pretty much idiot proof to troll, always tracking straight and true. The three lures in the bottom middle with the big plastic "bibs", bibbed lures, are very good as they tend to dive to a better depth, and have a more aggressive, vibrating action, and are very very good on kingifsh. Trouble with these is that they can get "out of tune" or spiral out of the water, causing tangles in your lines behind the boat, so tend to be somethnig more used by people a little more experienced in running such lures. Also they need to run at a slower speed than the bibbless and skirted lures.
however as you see they can be quite effective! ;-) That lure there is the same as the pink/white and the purple  one in the bottom middle of the pic above, so that gives you an idea of scale for some of these lures.

Poppers also catch kingies, obviously, you will have seen a lot of pics here of that I am sure...
... although this was obviously used as a cast lure, not trolled.

If I were you, looking for a nice, easy to tow lure for kingies and or big kahawai..... hmmmm... I tihnk a tuna-bullet style lure, that looks like a small fish or squid skipping along behind your boat....
somethnig like this, rigged on say about 2.5m of 150lb nylon trace, and a 7/0 stainless game hook in the tail of the skirt, would be the easiest and probably the most prouctive lure you could use, with the benefit of being deadly on small tunas like skippies and albacores as well if you run across a school of these. Yellwfin too... they really will take anything.

A couple of good kingfish sized minnows would be a couple like these (below). The top is an Elliots Mackerel Mauler, don't know if you'll find them anymore though, butsuch bibless minnows as these are a great size and action for kingies at pretty much any speed. The bottom lure is a yo-zuri  hydro-magnum (I think), anotehr really nice lure in that I have always found these to troll easily straight from the box, whereas otehr types often require some rather skilled tuning to get them to swim well.

what I do not like about such lures is that they come rigged with trable hooks... and trebles are dynamite on any fish... so if you are likely ot be releasing any, please, don't use trebles, they chew a fishes face to pieces, it is not a good look and their survival odds arepretty damn low ater being hooked on these types of lures.

These are a pile of different skirted lures, all Black Magic ones, those down the right hand side are what I'd suggest ofr kingi trolling and tunas. Those on the left are marlin lures.

Hope this is a little help,
 cheers, Stu.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 7:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Geez that is a mean collection there stu and great info for this dood...havent seen a mac mauler for a long time...have one hiding around somewhere....might have to dig it out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 7:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Thanks a bunch mate your post has cleared everything up now I'm really looking forward to getting out and hopefully being alot more successfull will have to hit the tackle shop now and load up on some gear and look at a popper rod/reel for these bad boys U have quite a few different options to try now thanks alot Captain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 8:03pm
marx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Chris.Y Chris.Y wrote:

Trolling poppers? wtf???? man up boy!! poppers are for casting not trolling Disapprove

Soft plastics are for casting but they work well for trolling. So much for kiwi ingenuity Confused

We don't need anymore daft hero wanna-bes that can't give reasonable answers to peoples questions.
Science for the mind and Art for the soul.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 8:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah cheers Marx held back but thought He was a dickhead, Like I said newbie to poppering I'm a Landbase guy If your ever in the walk about section you will see I take plenty of guys out of there experienced and newbies I treat them equally and like to help. Put 2 guys on to there PB's just  last weekend Its good to help people, I like hearing other peoples experiences thats how we learn don't know anyone who does this style of fishing but would be keen to tag along.

Might have to see the blokes up at top catch whangaparoa there always super helpful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 9:27pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I remember Nomad fishing in Auz troll some sitck bait and poppers caught some black marlin.
Have look at their website and hope that will help you.
http://www.nomadtackle.com/nsatackle_riggingvid_stickbaitcasttroll.htm

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 11:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Yeeha :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 11:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

Trolling is really very much an under utilised means of catching fish here in NZ. A few years ago with a yank mate out here I spent a few days trolling bibbed minnows around the rocks around whitianga. Apart from kings and kahawai, we got some nice snapper too! It was interesting, and idd work quite well really, it is just that pootling along a 5kn seemed to take forever to get anywhere! :-) Great way to scope out the seafloor on the sounder though.
Trolling such lures...preferably with single hooks like assist hooks on the loops instead of split-rings  and trebles... would be a very easy way to get some fishing newbies into kingfish. It is not quite as "Hands-on" as jigging or poppering etc, but for those unversed in catching anything, it is a very nice way to hook into a fish of a lifetime. Also makes for easier boating for people who may be sensitive to being bounced about over waves at higher speed, travelling along at only 5-6knots :-)
I recently posted a pic of a bunch of Strike Pro lures I picked up,

including some very nice 5inch bibbed minnows (like that one bottom left corner) that I am also hoping to use casting around schools of surface fish...and in the tropics (and Norfolk Is in feb) at schools of tuna.... there really is a lot of fun to be had trying lures other than the more traditonal ones we use here in NZ.
cheers,
Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 11:58pm
Titanium
Titanium

Capt....Did some trolling with a mate last summer at that speed and found it heavy on fuel consumption...That was the biggest downside for us....But it would be great for yachties though a!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 9:01am
Titanium
Titanium

It was nice having the 4stroke to just idle along, but it does use a bit of gas, I agree. However, for smaller boats used to trolling for trout etc, I think it'd be pretty cost effective. We were trolling pretty slow, as I was using real deep diving lures, like around 3-4knots tops, so we were not pushing too much water. It is when you try trolling (in my boat at least) at higher speeds like towards 8-10knots that the boat starts to get right on the edge of planing, and that does indeed suck up a lot of juice!
It was a nice way to while away an afternoon, slowly ticking around Cuvier one day... saw some very interesting water there I had not had time to check out before when zizzing past en route to The Spots. Must get back there this summer to check them out again I think.
Yachties.... don't start me on yachties! :-)
Page  12>