Trinidad vs Torium

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trinidad vs Torium
    Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 7:35am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thinking of a bit of TAS therapy at the boat show. Is the extra $$$ for a Trinidad worth it when compared to a Torium.

I want a reel to fish in 50 - 120 metres with 15kg braid. Fast retreive and light.

Looking at a size 16. Know the Trini has an adjustable clicker, but as we don't do much straylining down here don't consider it important. What are the other differences between the two.

Cheers.

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 9:18am
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Naki,hi,having the Trinidad 30 and the Tekota 800 (big bro. of the Torium)the diff. is the quality,as the vast diff.in the cost of each reel indicates.I'd rather have the Trinidad,anyday,tho both have the Dartanium drag stuff,it's a quality thing... Ask any tackle shop salesguy,and they will tell you the same thing as well, if they're honesti'm sure. Although the Tekota has a level wind,the 'innards' can't be of the same quality,these newer Toriums and Tekotas were made to copy,sort of, the Trinidads,and to keep the cost down. Also regarding the ballbearing adverts for reels,"It has 6 ballbearings", if they were made of aircraft quality,(as in the much dearer reels generally),the reel would maybe only need 4....same thing again,quality of these,you wont get aircraft grade ballbearings in any cheaper reels,i wouldn't think,and adds to the cost,obviously,still nice reels the Toriums etc,don't get me wrong, but as i always say,'Let the cost tell you the quality', tho there may be a few things out there ,that this wont always ring true to. And it applies to most products of any sort,anywhere... ya get what ya pay for... as i say just my humble opinion....  i stand to be corrected,but thats how i see it....Jim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 10:01am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Save your money ... buy a Penn.
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 11:36am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nah mate BP uses those and I don't want to catch the Chairman effect.
President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 12:15pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Naki- BLOODY NICE!!!
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 6:58pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MXL Avet or LX Avet.  Kills them dead.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 7:29pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I bought a Torium 30 for speed jigging. Found the reel a bit off balance when cranking even with the rod wedged firmly under the armpit which is odd seeing as thats what it's designed for. Beefy drag and lighting retrieve, feels very solid but not my favorite bit of kit. No idea what the trinidads are like. Also the bit a about it casting poppers like a dream 100yds+ is questionable. For years I've surfcasted with overheads no probs but this is a pig to cast (unless the spool is tightened right up - not great.) Admitedly I've spooled the thing right up with some nylon backing behind the braid which doesn't help make casting easy.

Just my thoughts - it might yet grow on me with a different rod combo and maybe respooling.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 3:32pm
stew View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Jim

I wouldnt say the Torium is exactly cheap ! For the price you would expect a good reel.

stew

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 5:06pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stew,hi,if you compare their price against the equivalent sized Trinidad model,you'll know there is a vast difference in cost,but as i said,they are still a good real,and compared to other brands of similar design,aren't cheap in themselves,but are still alot cheaper than the Trinidads, thats what i meant Stew...cheers  Jim 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Strawberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 5:18pm
Strawberry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i ight be biased cause i sell tackle but i personnaly think you will be disappointed if you by a torium have sold a couple to reel good mates and now feel like a c#*@ because thye have craped them selves they are certainly not as good as a trindad but then again they  are a lot dearer

strawberry

a very strange fruit

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 6:26pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ygwypf
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 6:31pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pgsznsg hgtsm sjnmd.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 6:55pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i people have a torrium 16 reel that i have used since september last year have caught five snapper over 10kgs on it since that time with many others cant fault it drag is like the day i got it casts well and i dont really look after it that well. its not my favourite reel but it has done a lot of work in that time. the only problem i have had with it is the clicker craped it self first time when a large red grabbed a large bait. theirs a lot of great reels on the market today its just trial and error to get one that suits youre budget and style of fishing.
cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 8:49pm
Woody View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting reading. I liked the look of the Torrium, dont really need anymore reels at the moment. Still TAS does take over when you go browsing through tackle stores.

Cheers Woody

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murrayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 6:24pm
murrayt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Check out http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com ,try the tackle forum before you dust serious money on a Trinidad. Torium is aluminium diecast, left sideplate graphite. Trinidad forged aluminium, left sideplate stamped alloy. Drags and gears are the same.

The US long range fishers have hammered these reels with heavyweight braid and you don't hear of many problems (bar some with the new ARB's which both reels have I think). I think you pay a heap extra for a pretty gold finish (which I've found less durable than the Toriums) and not much else.   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2004 at 7:30am
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't agree with that, the Torium are a product,made to fill the mid range quality offerings for this type of reel,whereas the Trinidad,are a one piece machined top quality reel with better innards,in them,i have a Trinidad 30 and a Tekato 800,like chalk and cheese, no way would the Toriums match up to the quality of the same similar model of the Trinidad,hence the huge price difference.Now that to me alone tells me which is the better reel,any honest salesguy or serviceman,will tell you this is true,why would all the  fishos around the world, many old hands at the game,and know which quality product and brand names are,buy a Trinidad, for that dosh,and not choose a Torium or Tekato,at say half price,of these Trinidads and save money,if they are as you are saying, virtually the one and the same reel,but the costly one is because of it's gold colouring?.... Doubt it ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2004 at 12:44pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The TN's are way smoother than their cloned brother. The toriums will still hold together on snapper.
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2004 at 1:15pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ive got a torium and the star drag keeps coming undone byits self, buggered if i know whats going on there, and  minimal movement needed to tighten it up as pat found out when i said dont move it much youll bust of, he moved the drag half a centimeter and busted off, the two non stainless washers inside the drag system have rusted and one of the bottom brace screws snapped inside the thread when i was doing it up, not even tight...dissapointed...you bet...

good drag tho and easy to cast...i would have expected more from shimano as they arent that cheap when i bought it...

Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2004 at 4:26pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

tobes yeah,i can't understand Shimano making a reel like that,and as you've pointed out a couple of faults, and Strawberry's post about some faults his mates ones got, further up this thread,dosen't exactly praise them either,i wouldn't really want  one, knowing that about them,bad lapse of judgement by Mr Shimano,better put some plasters on my Tekato 800, just in case it throws a wobbly...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scarpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 11:26pm
scarpie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Actually the opinion from many of the guys on the Allcoast board is that the Torium is a very good reel.  Some guys are actually selling their Trinidads at a big loss in order to replace them with Toriums!  Some are adament that the internals are the same, others say they are better!  A few guys report stronger drags on the Torium and have to have them. 

Tempting reel at a good price.  I don't regard it as a casting reel either, too heavy spool.

don't cloud the issue with facts!
Page  12>