Trinidad vs Torium

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 12:53am
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

they are both good reels i have both my torrium16 has done a lot of work and has been very reliable. and it casts a unweighted bait very well. my trinidad 20 has been great so far cant fault either of them.
cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 6:31am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ill bring mine in cod and can ya see if you can sort out the problems....where are ya just fishing or something??
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 7:47am
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

no tobes i am at hooked on fishing in whangaparoa . if you need someone to fix things down that end go and see shaun at justfishin or pat the rat at auckland fishing tackle they are guns on reel repairs. i am sure that they would be able to sort out youre problems.
cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 8:21am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well.

I took my new Torium 20 out to 80 metres last Thursday to get a few Terakihi and I really liked it. I have it matched to a VIP 865 spooled with 30lb braid. Very smooth and fast. This is exactly the type of fishing I bought it for and it is perfect, I'm rapt.

PS.

We managed a dozen nice Turkeys as well

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 9:18am
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff,Naki
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 5:29pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice highspeed terakihi catcher.
cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 7:38pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pat the rat..haha... never herd that before...that might just stick.
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 7:42pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

have always called the little bugger that tobes over many years.
cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matt watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 8:29pm
matt watson View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well I've used a trinidad and I have a Torium, both sweet reels. My Torium is a 30 spooled with 50lb braid on a 15-24kg 6'6" Backbone rod - I'm wrapped with the set. I'm not sure I would pay the extra for the Trinidad I just can't fault the torium - I would say that the trinidad is balanced a bit better and maybe lighter.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 8:56pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a Torium 30 too and would also say about the only weakness is balance.  I think a narrower spool (as in speed jigger) would be an improvement.  Do they have one?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 11:46pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its just personal taste between the two and price. i like both of them so own both. i find both great work horses very reliable great drags and cast well with a high speed retrieve.
cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 8:15am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah Matt the Torium is a little heavier. Which was a concern for me, but after using it I find it's fine. Have also heard from a number of people that the TOR30 is a bit unbalanced.  A mate has both TN30 & TOR20 and he prefers the TOR20.

Can't wait to try it out on the Kapiti trip.

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nsane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2004 at 8:43pm
Nsane View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just bought a torium16...  just wondering what line i would spool on it...  still have to spool a line on my tld15 ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2004 at 9:57pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the torrium 16 and 8kg are a nice combo thats what i use on my one. run a heavier line class on youre tld.
cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapperoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 4:48pm
Snapperoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wink Check out the Alantini reel repairs site - they're both great reels and share the same flaw. The anti reverse systems occasionally fail. Apart from metal v graphite and two more bearings, they seem pretty much the same to me. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 8:42pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

wow, how did you even manage to find this thread?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 6:50am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

had anti reverse bearing fail in a torium app its very common according to local shop staff they tell me they have had few back .mind you was foolish enough to use it at ranfurlys , leave nothing to chance now twin anti reverse dogs in my kingy reels now . really really want a new trini 10 tho dunno why maybe cos they look so cool and tiny would be expensive exercise as would have to purchase a 50g or 100g rod to match as well!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 9:13am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tobez tobez wrote:

ive got a torium and the star drag keeps coming undone byits self, buggered if i know whats going on there, and  minimal movement needed to tighten it up as pat found out when i said dont move it much youll bust of, he moved the drag half a centimeter and busted off, the two non stainless washers inside the drag system have rusted and one of the bottom brace screws snapped inside the thread when i was doing it up, not even tight...dissapointed...you bet...

good drag tho and easy to cast...i would have expected more from shimano as they arent that cheap when i bought it...

Are you drag washers put in correctly ? that's normally the cause of unwinding drag when the lock washer has been put in the wrong order. the rusted drag washers would indicate no grease in the drag and that is probably your binding issue under small movements. Rust would also indicate water in the reel. so left in the gunnel holders whilst in transit or blasted with a hose to was down? be interested to hear whats the hap's Tobez 

Trini's are very nice. If you have the budget for one there definitely worth the upgrade. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 12:21am
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by hookerpuka hookerpuka wrote:

Originally posted by tobez tobez wrote:

Posted: 21 Aug 2004 at 1:15pm

ive got a torium and the star drag keeps coming undone byits self, buggered if i know whats going on there, and  minimal movement needed to tighten it up as pat found out when i said dont move it much youll bust of, he moved the drag half a centimeter and busted off, the two non stainless washers inside the drag system have rusted and one of the bottom brace screws snapped inside the thread when i was doing it up, not even tight...dissapointed...you bet...

good drag tho and easy to cast...i would have expected more from shimano as they arent that cheap when i bought it...

Posted: Yesterday at 9:13am
 Are you drag washers put in correctly ? that's normally the cause of unwinding drag when the lock washer has been put in the wrong order. the rusted drag washers would indicate no grease in the drag and that is probably your binding issue under small movements. Rust would also indicate water in the reel. so left in the gunnel holders whilst in transit or blasted with a hose to was down? be interested to hear whats the hap's Tobez 

Trini's are very nice. If you have the budget for one there definitely worth the upgrade. 

8 years ago dude.....they may still have 2 years on warrantyLOLLOL
Page  <12