Yamaha 225 Engine Flushing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2 REEL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha 225 Engine Flushing
    Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 8:06pm
2 REEL View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi All,

I have just recently changed my boat and now have a 2007 Yamaha F225 4 stroke outboard on it.
I was just wanting to get some expert oppinions on flushing after saltwater use.
In the past i have used earmuff's on my outboards and run them until the water comming out the prop is wharm and you cant taste the salt.
However they dont seem to want to seal that well on the yammy and just squrt water out around the muffs.
No water comes out the center of the prop or the water squrter and the engine starts to wharm up a little too much.
It also has a factory fitting on the side of the engine where you can connect the hose however it says you can not run the engine when flushing this way.
If the engine is not running and not wharming up the thermostat will be shut, will it get a good flush ?
Or can i run the muffs and the factory fitting at the same time ?

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 8:26pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just hook the hose to side attachment DONT RUN THE ENGINE turn tap on and it will flush away ,,i dont flush mine off the garden hose via muffs as there not enough psi on house supply ,,,,do a search and there a thread on engine flushing using saltaway,tanks etc 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 8:29pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do not attempt to run the engine with flush muffs, you can do damage to the water pump components and the engine will overheat.

There are two options with this engine

1- hook up the fresh water flusher on the side of the engine, tilt engine down and turn on hose.

2- get a 44 gallon or 209 litre drum and cut down to suit, (make a engine test drum) fill with water and run the motor in this drum, make sure drum is cut so the water is over the cavitation plate, this will allow the water pump to prime correctly, I like doing this as the engine is running, thermostats are open, impeller spinning giving a complete flush. Be sure to mix in Salt Free (new product) to give engine a complete flush.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2 REEL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 8:59pm
2 REEL View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was looking at salt free and salt away at the boat show in the weekend.
Do you guys feel these will make a difference even when complete flushing with fresh water is carried out?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 8:01am
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 8:14am
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes saltfree is a better product, its been proven, and a bit cheaper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 2:03pm
Carbine View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bobby73 Bobby73 wrote:

I was looking at salt free and salt away at the boat show in the weekend.
Do you guys feel these will make a difference even when complete flushing with fresh water is carried out?

For the sake of a 30$ bottle to help kill salt in your $35,000 engine i would say why not

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote back2black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 2:19pm
back2black View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Never seen the Salt Free product. Is it not as popular as the Salt Away? Does anyone have price for a litre of Salt Free...might have to give it a go once I run out of Salt Away.

I have always used the Factory setup to flush without starting motor and run freshwater first, then switching on to Salt Away until the little tank turns to clear Approx 10 - 15 mins of flushing!
Auckland Blasting Services Ltd
Multi Media Blasting - Automotive/Marine/industrial/Residential
Ph: 0225278968 ( 02BLASTYOU )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Pimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 4:03pm
Fish Pimp View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Back to Black I noted on your post you are running the saltaway through the cup until it is clear? By doing this you are washing all the concentrate from your engine. Once you have flushed and thermostats are open you only need to run the saltaway mix for approx30-40 seconds then turn off and the job is done.LEAVE AS IS until after next outing and do again.I have boat with twin engines and one cup will do both twice before it appears to watered down. IT costs so no point wasting.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote back2black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 4:23pm
back2black View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers F P i just revisited the site and read thru the directions and yes I am meant to leave the concentrate in the water jackets, so just need to run on saltaway until foam exits the bottom end. Cool so I have been wasting a lot of the good stuff.
Auckland Blasting Services Ltd
Multi Media Blasting - Automotive/Marine/industrial/Residential
Ph: 0225278968 ( 02BLASTYOU )