Paua Recipe

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _Jimmy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 7:40am
_Jimmy_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Qaz Qaz wrote:

Sounds like you guys don't like paua? coating it in all those seasonings etc?

Clap top notch Qaz. Clap

slice thin, quick fry in equal parts butter and olive oil. 
once out eat it with a bit of aioli and good bread. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Geofinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 7:43am
Geofinz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A while back, on someone elses recommendation, I tried blanching them for 45 seconds in boiling water before shucking them. It certainly tenderises them nicely but IMHO they don't taste anywhere near as good when you cook them up later. Now I tend to chill them in the freezer for half an hour or so. 
This seems to put them to sleep so that when you shuck them them the muscle stays relaxed and they come out of the shell much more tender. Be careful not to leave them in the freezer too long otherwise, to state the obvious, they freeze and you will have to wait until they thaw before you can shuck them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 7:50am
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree about the blanching - the flavour is not so good, and I don't like the texture. As for Qaz's scallop recipe!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:32am
tom1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

shuck and braise whole in a nice light stock+ garlic and ginger and  a dash of light soy for 4-6 hrs- come out super tender.  Look at the SanFransisco Chronicles' food column on line @ SFgate.net, they often have abalone recipies when the season starts.  Wish our paua got as big as the californian reds, minimum size is 178mm/7". 

As an aside, their courts are incredibly severe on sentensing for abalone poaching, with HUGE fines and custodial sentences possible.  Unlike the soft-c$#k approach taken by our courtsAngry  You even get a US$1000 fine if caught taking an ab without a measuring caliper (which has to be of an approved type), even if it's legal size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:13am
Qaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Diver Dan Diver Dan wrote:

I agree about the blanching - the flavour is not so good, and I don't like the texture. As for Qaz's scallop recipe!!!!!!

Don't bag that scolly recipie until you have tried it , its amazing. - Hated scollys till I tried it.Big smile
http://www.gladiatormarine.co.nz/
A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shiraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:22am
shiraz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

In addition to Tom1's comment re California. I spent 1/2 day diving well north of San Fran back in '96. You have to pay a day licence of $US10 & can take only 4 abs. Don't reckon I could taste any difference to paua.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:25am
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Qaz Qaz wrote:

scollys with 4-6 in a shell with T sauce, cheese,chillie and pepper grilled under the BBQ , like a morney.
Astounding creativity Qaz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:39am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big shells and small scallops?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:42am
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Scallops with no roe? The same recipe would work for discs of stingray flap, or tofu 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 11:52am
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Never even had Paua. Need to make a plan.
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:12pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by shiraz shiraz wrote:

In addition to Tom1's comment re California. I spent 1/2 day diving well north of San Fran back in '96. You have to pay a day licence of $US10 & can take only 4 abs. Don't reckon I could taste any difference to paua.
Thats quite reasonable, when you look at the population base and I bet the fisheries authorities use the $10 a day to help the fishery. 4 7" Paua is a good feed by anyone's standards.

I wish I could remember the herbs and spices my parent's chinese neighbours use for paua.
All I can remember is it involves steaming for ages, and the paua is so tender you can cut it with the side of your fork

Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SteveByrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:38pm
SteveByrne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Diver Dan Diver Dan wrote:

I can vouch for Geofinz/Al Browns recipe - it is stunning! I also like to do my paua schnitzel style - slice the paua into thin steaks, flour, egg, breadcrumb, shallowfry in hot oil and butter, squeeze lemon over, and salt and white pepper - retro, but great!

Def try to get hold of Al Brown's book, all the Paua recipes are awesome, especially the cream of paua soup.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 1:57pm
tom1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Current limits are now 3 a day, max of 24 per year.  only reds are allowed, no pink, green or black abalone to be taken.  We are VERY lucky...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 2:33pm
Qaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea the scollys we got , we got from whangarei heads were big shells small scollys.
http://www.gladiatormarine.co.nz/
A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 2:59pm
tom1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

what's the biggest yellow-foot anyone's found?  I've seen some nice sized ones, guestimated as legal, but left,  at north cape, but would be interested to know about how big they grow?  I've only seen them in the far north, i know the size is 80+ but do they reach 100? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 3:54pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have got them to 120mm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:00pm
Seth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will let you guys in on a bit of a secret in preparing paua.  Get your fresh paua and put it in the microwave for 40 sec, 1 at a time.  Once done put straight into cold water and then you can shuck straight away with very little effort (just use your thumb and it will pop straight out).  Then give it a very light bash all over until you feel it soften.  I then cook in with a hunk of butter around 4 at a time.  Once done I set aside and in the same pot I mix up a white sauce using cream, high grade flour, salt, pepper and butter.  Once done  throw the cooked paua back in to re-heat and eat whole.  If done right they are tender enough to just use your fork to cut them. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:35pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I can cut my pauas with a fork just by beating them the old fashioned way. I thought that was just normal?
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:50pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use a knife to cut my paua. I thought that was normal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:56pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes Herby, but  can you use a fork, or a spoon, or even your credit card- if you have to use a knife to cut your paua there's a problem?
 <3
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Page  <1234>