Paua Recipe

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote B1g_Pun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paua Recipe
    Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 5:24pm
B1g_Pun View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Whats your favourite way to eat paua?

Being from Auckland I dont get to hit them that often so I have never really tried experiementing too much. Just the basic fritters with a bit of sweet chilli and mustard thrown in for good measure.

Also looking at buying myself a mincer before my next trip south, what should I be looking for?

Will something like this do the trick?

"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" William Shakespeare
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 5:48pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

UJ's world famous dish of paua awesome:

• Shuck paua and observe their gender. The gender is not important but makes you sound knowledgeable.
  • Slice the flesh as thinly as possible, along the length of the animal. I like it about 1-1.2mm thick
  • In a pot heat butter, ground black pepper and a dash of nampla (fish sauce). Once that is all hot add Kiatia Fire chille sauce, that is the only chille to use BTW (Qaz told me)
  • Add the sliced paua to the hot butter and brown it slightly using a wooden spatula
  • Add some green Thai curry paste and a dash of soy sauce
  • Simmer away for a bit longer and then add untold chopped onion. I like one small onion per paua
  • After a few minutes turn the stove right down and add cream, jut covering the flesh
  • Simmer that hooch for a few more minutes then eat it and drink the cream
  • It rules (Herb's mate LJ told me) and is best served with at least 6 beers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote B1g_Pun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 5:52pm
B1g_Pun View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers UJ sounds mint. Do you slice up the skirt as well or do you ditch that and just eat the body? I have mates that wont eat the skirt but personally I really enjoy it.

How do you tell gender BTW?
"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" William Shakespeare
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 6:23pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use the skirt and think (much like the head of a fish) that is where the best taste is. Geofinz discards the skirt as it it a bit tough and messes with his dentures

Female paua have a pale blue/green sex organ, males white.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Geofinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:03pm
Geofinz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I use a fitter recipe that contains diced red onion, garlic, chopped coriander and basil (fresh), sweet chilli sauce, salt and pepper out of Al Brown's NZ seafood cookbook Go Fish.

Don't want to risk any copyright issues Disapprove by posting the recipe but if you are looking for the definitive NZ seafood cookbook then Go Fish is worth a look.

I'm also keen on thinly sliced and quickly sauted with garlic and red onion or alternatively with soy sauce and fresh ginger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:09pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Arent Paua gastropods, and hence hermaphrodites?

Anyway,
In my opinion a paua pattie is a sin,
Here are a couple of recipes...
1) Get a good sized Paua and criss cross it with a knife and rub in oyster or chilli sauce, pepper, crushed garlic and leave for a few hours
Then fry in butter for 4 or 5 min either side and slice thin and enjoy.

2) Steak your Paua and mix in a bowl with crushed ginger for a bit
Flour, egg then breadcrumb
Fry till golden brown

simple but good

Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troy Tempest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:19pm
Troy Tempest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cut paua thin, marinade in olive oil, crushed garlic, coriander and chilli flakes for a few hours  Flash fry and put in sandwiches (thick, white bread!) for lunch.
Alternatively, use the same mix and make a pasta sauce with a fried onion and tin of diced tomatoes get it up to temperature and throw in the fried paua at the last minute and serve on whatever pasta you fancy for dinner.
·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>
.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>

Just quietly getting on with it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Geofinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:25pm
Geofinz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by felixx felixx wrote:

In my opinion a paua pattie is a sin,
So did I Felixx until I tried Al Brown's recipe to see if the kids liked it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:45pm
Qaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like you guys don't like paua? coating it in all those seasonings etc?
http://www.gladiatormarine.co.nz/
A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:49pm
Ces View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

so, do you eat everything un-seasoned qaz?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:56pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Unseasoned Cat?

Qazic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JAKE D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 8:22pm
JAKE D View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by felixx felixx wrote:

Arent Paua gastropods, and hence hermaphrodites?

paua have the ability to be either male or female.
they are technically polygamy, so in a colony of paua there will be a few males to "service" the many females, if one of these males is killed then one of the existing females will switch to be a male.

its similar to the sandagers wrasse where all juviniles are females and the most dominant of these turns male and breeds with the rest of the population in a specific area
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 9:05pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can vouch for Geofinz/Al Browns recipe - it is stunning! I also like to do my paua schnitzel style - slice the paua into thin steaks, flour, egg, breadcrumb, shallowfry in hot oil and butter, squeeze lemon over, and salt and white pepper - retro, but great!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 9:12pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did the Al brown recipe "Sauteed Paua Slivers with Fried Potatoes & Preserved Lemon & Tarragon Butter" two weeks ago.

All I can say is that its the best paua ive ever had, not that ive eaten much of the snail varietys.  Not tough which I thought was a myth when people say its like butter in their mouth when taking a bite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 9:18pm
xport View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Qaz Qaz wrote:

Sounds like you guys don't like paua? cating it in all those seasonings etc?

Have to agree with that............Paua, onions & butter on the bbq Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kinabal Lector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 9:18pm
Kinabal Lector View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

bash it and have whole steaks is the best. cut into strips and cook for awesome sushi.

but make sure you eat the gut raw when you shuck it its all time good, and Im not taking the piss Im serious.
But after eating them every week of most of my life id say whole paua tenderised in between a rag to avoid the neighbours getting shot all you catch.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearfisher916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 10:04pm
spearfisher916 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I shuck em then leave them on ice overnight in the fridge.
Next day they get a quick bash between a teatowel, sliced thin (skirts and all of course) and fried for 30sec in butter with finely chopped red onion, little bit of garlic, grated ginger and a dash of finely chopped chilli.
Squeeze over a lemon then eat while steaming.

BTW, I used to just slice and eat same day, but found the stay in the fridge overnight with a bash really does soften them to perfection.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 10:05pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Qaz Qaz wrote:

Sounds like you guys don't like paua? cating it in all those seasonings etc?
You have a point Qaz, but when you cook fish, or paua, or chicken or whatever, sometimes its great to have a variety. I remember being served roast lamb with garlic and rosemary for the first time many many years ago, and thinking, why have they spoiled this lamb?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 11:21pm
Qaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In all honestly , Im like you guys as well , I season everything I eat from the sea...

I only eat teraki (which is a pain because I've never shot any) scollys and crays. Never had paua...
I even season scollys with 4-6 in a shell with T sauce, cheese,chillie and pepper grilled under the BBQ , like a morney.

Mint Wink
http://www.gladiatormarine.co.nz/
A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:02am
The Jackal View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Drop the Paua in the pot while cooking crays for 60 seconds. 

Shuck then cook the paua whole on the bbq with some coat and cook for 2-3 mins.

Cut into steaks then serve with chilli sauce.. yum
Page  123 4>