How to cook Kingfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to cook Kingfish
    Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 7:20pm
Mr Boat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, My husband caught a kingfish recently which we gutted and put in the freezer whole.  The thing is now I need to know how to cook it? Size steaks to cut it into and also do we cut it into steaks while it is frozen or do we thaw it first.  Main one we need to know about is how to cook and and how long?  ( We have friends  coming on Friday night for dinner and we were hoping to cook it up then)  Thanks Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 7:31pm
rocko View Drop Down

Have look through the Kitchen forum for recipie ideas... I rekon just season with sea salt/pepper pan sear/grill  to seal in the juices ad  dash lemon juices serve with salad...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 7:37pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

try cooking it in tomatoe sauce, leave it in steaks and dont over cook it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 1:46pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cook steaks on medium heat on an electric frying pan with ****loads of finely chopped garlic and butter - I like to make steaks about 2cm thick and give them about 3  minutes each side. Worst thing you can do is overcook it and dry it out. You can peel the flesh away from the backbone while it's cooking to see how cooked it is

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mark Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 1:58pm
Mark Edwards View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We prefer to not steak kingfish, it dries out more when cooking, cut it into chunks or medallions and then marinate in soy sauce, garlic, ginger etc etc, all the usual suspects, then cook really quick on a hot plate....Epic does a good dish with seasame oil, brown sugar etc and cooks it the same...
so basically take the meat off the bone and then cut into fillets/medallion type things, dont overcook it....can also breadcrumb it, have it raw as well, if it has been frozen whole or in large chunks then it is still ok to have raw......dont throw away the backbone, cut into pieces at the joints and then fry in egg and breadcrumbs....
smoke the wings
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 2:05pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I chunk mine into big cubes, sear in hot oil in wok with a big of ginger, remove all. Then do a stir fry Thai or curry veggies, put fish back in before serving, onto rice. Fresh coriander all over once on plate.
Delicious nutritious.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _Jimmy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 2:07pm
_Jimmy_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

don't steak it.

if you want to pan fry, cut it in manageable size peices.  if that means slicing the filet in half again so it is thinner then do that.    the main problem is people trying to cook peices too big too hot for too long..    

entree,  try slicing it into very thin stips,  then put it into a batter that you would usually use for whitebait fritters.  make some small fritters bit of garlic, bit of parsley. squeeze lemon. Yum.

if i have lots of people to feed i will bake it,   asian style.   if you lay the fillet on some bok choy on a sheet of tin foil,  load it up with heaps of garlic, lots of ginger, light soy, chinese vinegar, seasame oil.  then close up the foil and bake at 200, for about 25min for 1.5-2kg. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 2:43pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

By the sounds of it I'm doing it all wrong and there is something wrong with my tastebuds, maybe it's viral as everyone that I serve it to seems to have poor tastebuds too - ignore what I said Wink

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 3:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fresh sashimi would have been best....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 3:52pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 3:53pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Slice into strips and tempura. Best fish I've ever eaten.
'Badger on the other hand, he's basically a bum'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 5:44pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If you have a look in "The Kitchen" forum, about page 5, you will find a recipe called the "Best baked fish recipe in the world" by Levcat. I have tried this recipe with various types of fish both fresh and frozen, but one of the best I made was with frozen vacuum packed kingfish. I prefer a mix of coriander and vietnamese mint, wheras my wife prefers just coriander. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed!!!
WinkBig smileWink
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 5:52pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cut off the pieces from the gills along the belly line.....The belly area is oily and tender.....the best part of the fish in my eyes.....Cut fillets 10-15 mm thick and even about the size of your hand....Dip in flour,dip in egg,dip in coarse(Pams) breadcrumbs.....cook in oil for about 3 to 4 minutes turning once only......dry on paper towel and then sprinkle some salt......tartar sauce and lemon slice on the side....Go by the breadcrumbs colour...brown nicely but do not burn.....when  you can stick your fork through it...its done...dont over cook.........Yummy..For me and the family its the best crumbed fish....only thing better is raw kingi fresh with wasabi and soy sauce.....enjoy
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 5:53pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by _Jimmy_ _Jimmy_ wrote:

]

don't steak it.

if you want to pan fry, cut it in manageable size peices.  if that means slicing the filet in half again so it is thinner then do that.    the main problem is people trying to cook peices too big too hot for too long..    

entree,  try slicing it into very thin stips,  then put it into a batter that you would usually use for whitebait fritters.  make some small fritters bit of garlic, bit of parsley. squeeze lemon. Yum.

if i have lots of people to feed i will bake it,   asian style.   if you lay the fillet on some bok choy on a sheet of tin foil,  load it up with heaps of garlic, lots of ginger, light soy, chinese vinegar, seasame oil.  then close up the foil and bake at 200, for about 25min for 1.5-2kg. 

That sounds yummyWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JonnyBlaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 8:42am
JonnyBlaze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agree with all those who said don't steak it.  Fillet it for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yellow tail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 10:56am
yellow tail View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by _Jimmy_ _Jimmy_ wrote:

]

don't steak it.

then after bakeing it put some crispy shallots, toasted coconut and sesame seeds on top with baby coriander to garnish.......... maybe alittle avo oil.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 9:56pm
Mr Boat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks everyone. 
Well I cooked it up in two different methods so people could try it and it went down a treat.  Some of it we steaked and I cooked it in butter and garlic and the rest we filleted and put it in flour, egg and breadcrumbs.  They loved both but personaly for me I prefered the fillets found the steaks to strong.  So Thanks everyone for your help and happy fishing.  Star