Spearfishing in the Dunedin

Page  123 60>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Harley11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spearfishing in the Dunedin
    Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 7:31am
Harley11 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anybody know of any good places to go spearfishing in Dunedin? Going down there next week... keen tohave a look..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 10:36am
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Black rock, just over the hill from St Claire.  Just walk north from the parking area and swim off the rocks - Butter/blue cod abundant.  Most of the other spots is off shore at the islands - Green Isaland white island.  Shag bay and Karetane is also good, but about an hour's drive to the north.  Call me 07 576 0460
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Harley11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 10:07pm
Harley11 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that... You go there alot?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 10:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

Used to - in Tauranga now, but I stilll have some buddies that would take you out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Louis Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 10:23pm
Louis Brown View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone know of a regular Moana pool FREEDIVING meet-up, training group or the like in Dunedin? For people wanting to improve their spearfishing, kaimoana gathering, training for something else and keen for some social atmosphere.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 8:06am
Platinum
Platinum

It's called underwater hockey! :) On Thursdays and Sundays. If you ever come up north, I'm in Oamaru now. Dived Moeraki lighthouse yesterday and got a good haul of green bone, moki and paua. Would have been better if I did not have to spend 40 minutes retrieving my RA out of the kelp! Water was clean and warm, but that could have just been the new 7.5mm top! Saw heaps of kahawai and quite good sized salmon in schools. Contact kelvin Milne as he is organizing the SI champs for the 4Th Feb. pm me and I will forward you the details.
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Harley11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 1:09pm
Harley11 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Murdering beach, just north of Aramoana is a good spot for Blue Moki and Butters. A very popular surf beach so you would have to wait for the right conditions. Managed to dive there about 2 years ago and saw big schools of blue moki. Just a matter of picking out the big ones. Amazing sight with the butters flying around as well. Dive to the left at Murdering by the point which leads around to Long Beach. Great spot and lots of fun. Provided there is no swell like the day I went out, the vis was 8-10 metres and very fishy. Hope this helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 2:00pm
Platinum
Platinum

I was successful recently at Shag Point, just before the gate, to the left,, though the little picnic area. Just have a swim. Also out of the jetty, to those rocks, about 200m out, or if you have a boat, to Danger reef, about two ks out. Viz is amazing right now and I might try the Moeraki light house again tonight, if I can get rid of this stupid headache! Anyone keen? 021 026 26667.
Philip
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Louis Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 10:51pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah, surfed Murderers a couple of times. Schools of Moki sound pretty epic.

I am free from this weekend until end of month ...anyone ever been to the barkers comp off D'Urville at end of month?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Louis Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 10:29pm
Bronze
Bronze

underwater hockey dunedin 4;30pm moana pool this sunday for those keen.

anyone got a line on the good spots for water conditions this friday/ saturday?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 11:01pm
The Jackal View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by louisbrown louisbrown wrote:

Yeah, surfed Murderers a couple of times. Schools of Moki sound pretty epic.

I am free from this weekend until end of month ...anyone ever been to the barkers comp off D'Urville at end of month?

Great fun mate - Get your self up there

Can't be scared of a drink though....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Louis Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 11:43pm
Bronze
Bronze

Nice. Do you have any of the details? I have no idea..

regards to dunedin, when are you down these ways?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Louis Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 11:43pm
Bronze
Bronze

last message in response to the jackal
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 12:06am
Platinum
Platinum

Um never. I live in Oz but from Chch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 12:07am
Platinum
Platinum

Have a look on the Canterbury thread for the info. Brax will sort you out if you PM him
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote northbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 7:54pm
northbound View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi there,

Not in Dunedin anymore but as for some spots to free dive there were a few spots we used to frequent down there while at uni.
Aramoana usually a good spot as is protected by the weather, shot some good size moiki and butters at various points along the left side of the spit. If you go through the kelp out a bit deeper is ur best bet,
Cape Saunders also a great spot particularly for Paua and crays but also plenty of cod there too.
And karatane also good when divsble plenty of fish just try different points around the peninsula
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote northbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 7:55pm
northbound View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

^right side of spit I mean
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 8:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

Soooo annoyed! Just returned from an attempt to the Moeraki lighthouse but the road was closed due to a crash, so picnic on the lounge floor. There is always tomorrow, but everything is ready and packed!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 8:05pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Philip, you are whinging. 
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Louis Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 8:09pm
Bronze
Bronze

Nice. Just spoke to a friendly chap at oceanhunter Mike and he mentioned Brighton as well...forgot about that, but got some good karma as the stomping ground of poet james k baxter. 
Page  123 60>