Spearfishing in the Dunedin

Page  <1 3637383940 60>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 1:58pm
iSi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Might go for a swim at Karitane after work if anyone is keen. 0272124492.

Not holding my breath for great vis but you never know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brad101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 6:29pm
brad101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i usually go out there, at the cattle stop. it isn't too fishy there but i'm usually more after kina than anything else. you can also get down through a walkway a bit before there. a small road pulls off the main one, easy enough to spot as it has big white guard typed fences along each side of the entrance (to the road). i went past the boat ramp this time, along the road that goes around the point a bit further. the next pull in area there had a small track down to the sea.

giving it a rest for the day, though ill be back out for the week end. good luck!

vis was between 3 and 6 where i was, though boat ramp back was really clean. i could see everything clearly, right down to the bottom, from on the hill. hopefully karitane is clean enough for you too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 9:30pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've dived the boat ramp a few times as it is usually quite dirty. If it is clean, it is very productive as not too many people dive it. Got Paua, Crays, butters, cod trumpeter, butters there. If you don't see anything, just try other spots, up or down. Always cod in the gullies, but you sometimes have to burly. I shoot wrasse or Kina for burley. Trumpeter often show up in mid water. A flasher attracts them too.
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 7:28am
iSi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good info, thanks.

Karitane Vis was surprisingly OK, mostly around 3m. Lots of wee cod and a few trumpeter lurking about among the usual crowd which was good to see. Took 3 good cod and a leatherjacket.

Also had a chat to the chap who runs the new fishing / freediving / spearfishing shop in town, he's got a reasonable amount of gear in there and intends to run freedive courses and possibly the odd spearfishing trip. Nice to have a bit of gear available locally.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brad101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:37am
brad101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

where abouts is that iSi? as nice as the Dive Otago staff are, their shop is ridiculously overpriced. was going to have a look at probably shag point today, go hunt out some crays if im lucky!

any one got a vis update?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chalkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 7:13am
chalkeye View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's on Moray place, just up the road from the new Rialto cinema.
float like a crowbar, sting like a bee
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brad101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:45am
brad101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

best way to burley with a fish? i shot a cod a few mm under legal yesterday so i tried to use it as burley but it didnt bring a whole lot in.  i just cut its guts open and sort of shredded it a little bit. do you have to cut it into pieces?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 12:27pm
Platinum
Platinum

In gullies, sandy bottom and just cut it in small pieces without adding bits of yourself to the mix 😊always good to place it on a spot that you can observe without being spotted. I like to do at least 2 or 3 spots, revisiting the first one after the last one, and so forth. The biggest problem is to find the spots here in the south with the lack of viz.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 5:33pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If you hold a fish upside down by the head in your left hand and kind of slice off shreds of its guts down to its tail you can make a nice burlei. This way you get long skinny bits of fish with a bit of guts mixed in, and you mostly miss cutting yourself.
Do or do not. There is no try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brad101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 12:46am
brad101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

do you guys do it on the bottom, or on the surface and let it sink?  still such an amateur! (i have never even seen one of those flashers you spoke about phil
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spaceships Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 6:27am
spaceships View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was out at karitane yesterday evening. Crossed waikouaiti bay and went north along the coast for a bit. huge weed areas, vis must have been 5mplus easy. Wind switched direction and ramped up so got nasty chop on really fast sadly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 12:08pm
Toyz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was out by the heads of the peninsula snooping around for my first ever dive down here lastnight. Vis was 3-5m's most likely, shot some butters but saw a few decent moki that I spooked before I could shot... 
Pretty new to this spearing game so all part of learning I guess.

If you ever see a 4.0 blackdog out on the water please feel free to say hi!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 12:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

Apparently Black head has good viz, unfortunately the resident Hooker was hungry, taking all the fish off a float...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YoungGun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 7:41pm
YoungGun View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Headed out to blackhead earlier today looking around with a few mates. Vis was good between 4-6m but got churned up later towards the end of the dive. saw a few moki but most were to small, managed to get 1 decent one. a few butters out deeper but didn't manage to shoot them. still pretty new to this so it is all the learning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 7:56am
Platinum
Platinum

Good one! It's all about being out there...and getting afeed. You'll learn each dive. I'm still learning, after 47years. I started when I was 16, in 1968 😊
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 11:12am
iSi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Karitane was nice yesterday 3-4m of visibility, 0 swell, we were planning on heading down the coast a bit for a look but bad timing with tides meant we couldn't really take the boat out. Swam out from the beach with my brother who shot his first fish and I got a couple of cod and butters.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 2:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Going to give Moeraki a go first thing tomorrow, as the swell map looks good with morning high tide. Have not been there for ages...hope the viz is OK - I will post in the afternoon with report. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:44pm
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good luck Phil.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 8:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

Had a great dive. Water was warmish and viz was variable, from about 6-8 meter. We hit the water at about 8 and came out at 10. We had 11 butters, 6 Moki and 6 Paua between two of us. The swell was not too bad, but there was a good current ensuring a good workout.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brad101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 9:13pm
brad101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i went out to shag pt today, hoping to get around the point and check for crays. swell was hitting from that side so i just went out to the stairway. vis was great! 8-12m. shot a few cod, all ripped themselves off the spear! devastated. spear was bent so head shots just werent happening.

on the way in i shot a 6 butters. 4 of which were really good size. 4 paua and a doz kina to fill the bag. 
Page  <1 3637383940 60>