Banks Peninsula

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaveSnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banks Peninsula
    Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 7:36am
DaveSnake View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey, I'm thinking of heading out Banks Peninsula ways this weekend. Anyone got any advice on where to start. I was thinking of having a look at or near Le Bons Bay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 8:07am
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

boat or shorey?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 9:27am
bluefox_13 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Get some practice in at home before you go out.... But on a blindfold, load your gun and wander round your house. should be pretty similar to the conditions your likely to experience....
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaveSnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 5:10pm
DaveSnake View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah just a shore dive R Jack.
I'm being optimistic about vis bluefox
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 5:17pm
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

vis might be right on sunday. will be better early on next week. Paul B might have some good shore dive spots for you, I'm normally in my tin machine (15HP of pure mayhem).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Besty. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 5:50pm
Besty. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dave you snake, you've got a few easterly winds this weekend so you're prob not all that flash for lebons.
I've shore dived hickory, easy walk down to the beach, maybe about 5 minutes, perhaps 10. Dived the right side and bumped into butters and paua. Odd big moki and plenty of small ones around. Haven't crayed that right side but have via boat on the left. Ideally you are hanging out for those W or NW winds that should be hitting chch nowish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 5:53pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dave, I will slip thet knife in the letterbox for you..
Do you want a sheath too?
G
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Besty. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 5:53pm
Besty. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

keep a body board in the car - just go with water ever is happening would be a decent plan.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaveSnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 6:02pm
DaveSnake View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Paul B Paul B wrote:

Ideally you are hanging out for those W or NW winds that should be hitting chch nowish.

Been checking out the swell map. Expecting a NW on Saturday, will probably be looking at heading out on Sunday.
Cheers for the advice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 6:10pm
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah mate sunday should be good. I'm going out then as well, if the dive buddy pikes on me there might be a spot in the tin machine :) he's umming and ahing at the moment, will let you know if he bails.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaveSnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 7:08pm
DaveSnake View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sounds good. Keep me posted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 10:10am
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

sorry, he seems keen. I'm mildly gutted because last time he came out we spent AGES trying to get him equalising and so on. another time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaveSnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 11:16am
DaveSnake View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No worries mate. Might try Hickory on Sunday then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 9:15pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good luck Dave...
That knife is still in the letterbox for you
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaveSnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 6:57pm
DaveSnake View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

SIGH!!  After putting a reasonable dent in my whiskey collection last night it was a late start. Convinced myself it was all part of my master plan! Packed the car with my dive gear and strapped in the missus and the dog for good measure and it was off to Hickory Bay. 
decending the gravel rd to the bay I was excited to see the sunshining on some dark blue water. Got to the car park and wtf? Dogs not allowed on this beach signs all over the place. Damn. After a bit of swearing decided I'd drive around to the next bay and have a look at that. So down to Le Bons Bay. No anti K9 signs so suited up and jumped in.... Shoulda stayed at home.  If I squinted real hard I could just make out the flopper on the end of my spear. Oh well maybe I could get a feed of paua.  There are thousands of paua at Le Bons bay, too bad they are ALL undersize! The biggest one I found was about 3mm under and I was tempted, but after a brief wrestle with my conscience decided to let them lie and learn my lesson. 
The question I have is how fast do paua grow?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 10:36pm
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

my biologist mate says they grow slower and not as big around banks, something in the water? I asked him if he was talking **** and he said no, seriously. not sure how reliable that is though...

I went in from peraki, got some good crays. vis a milky 3 at the start of the day, 4-5 at the end. loads of big blue moki cruising around for some reason, but I didn't bother shooting any. loads of dolphins around as well, didn't shoot them either.