AUCKLAND VIS/LATEST DIVE

Page  <1 435436437438439 472>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearHori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 9:59pm
SpearHori View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Qkrwogud Qkrwogud wrote:

On the note of line tangle, how do you avoid it happening without fish? Often ends up getting wrapped around my leg while swimming..

Go buy some of wetties anti tangle line.
No more tangles around rocks or with your buddies line. Bit bulkier than the rope line but less time time mucking around with tangles.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 10:32pm
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by SpearHori SpearHori wrote:

On the note of line tangle, how do you avoid it happening without fish? Often ends up getting wrapped around my leg while swimming..

Go buy some of wetties anti tangle line.
No more tangles around rocks or with your buddies line. Bit bulkier than the rope line but less time time mucking around with tangles.

Would it help with it not tangling around myself? I did consider getting that line but I opted for the standard one because I could wind it up and only use what I need, instead of constantly dealing with a really long line all the time as I didn't wanna have different length.

Was at Ti point 6:30pm, had 3-5m visibility but only saw millions of Parore and yellow tails. Another guy came out same time as me and went home with a rat and 2 butters.
I'm probably going to go again tomorrow at an earlier time, maybe morning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote benwinza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 7:16am
benwinza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Millions of Porae? I have never seen a Porae at Ti point yet! Are you sure they were not Parore?

I had a dive there last Weds and got 3 big butters, a trev, some yellow tail and missed a big snapper :(

Happy times though. 

I am heading out on Friday on a desperate search for a Kingy. I have access to a small boat and want some advice on the best spot to go on an incoming tide for a Kingy. I still have not shot one yet and I never seem to see them. 

Any advice?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 8:46am
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by benwinza benwinza wrote:

Millions of Porae? I have never seen a Porae at Ti point yet! Are you sure they were not Parore?

Sorry you are correct, they were Parore haha

But I'm in a similar position to you, I'm keen for my first Kingy. Though I'm new to the area myself I'm told the place you wanna be is at the tip of the point where it turns east.
Was talking to someone last night who walked out with a kingy and his opinion was that no current was best
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote inspearation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 9:20am
inspearation View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I lived in Leigh last summer, the best results I got was always incoming tide, although I didn't bother joining the ratrace at Ti Point, that place gets thrashed. 

If you guys do want to dive Ti, around the markers (with a float) and the reef at the end of the walkway that extends south are the best of the bunch but the whole area can be productive (and not).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spear crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 1:11pm
spear crazy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha yeah mate kingies hate current
Axemen Spearfishing... "Putting the crap back into elite"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _Jimmy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 1:55pm
_Jimmy_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by spear crazy spear crazy wrote:

Haha yeah mate kingies hate current

Don't be silly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 2:42pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Could be a case of, can't really dive that well in strong current, hence not seeing the fish.

We found this at durvill island. On a slack tide we could get to the bottom and wait and see the kingfish. When the current was running we couldn't, and shot nothing.

Not saying they don't love current, but you can still find them without.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustcallmeDoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 9:44pm
JustcallmeDoris View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi mate, I started spearfishing only a couple of years ago (a newbie compared to the wise old hands on this forum).  Read some of their advice on this thread... 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 10:38pm
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by JustcallmeDoris JustcallmeDoris wrote:

Hi mate, I started spearfishing only a couple of years ago (a newbie compared to the wise old hands on this forum).  Read some of their advice on this thread... 

Thanks Doris, that was a good read
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 10:04am
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone got a vis report for ti or Matheson bay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 12:59pm
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just got back from Ti, 8-10m vis but a little blurry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 1:21pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kill anything?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 1:32pm
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I didn't, the buddy I was with got a jon dori, cray and a kingfish that was too small
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spear crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 7:15pm
spear crazy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Probably would have left the kingy part out
Axemen Spearfishing... "Putting the crap back into elite"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 8:09pm
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh he didn't take it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Renz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 8:20pm
Renz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Catch and release? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 8:22pm
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 8:27pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One of those lip shots aye LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 8:53pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Burley it next time, get some shark action.
Page  <1 435436437438439 472>