AUCKLAND VIS/LATEST DIVE

Page  <1 433434435436437 472>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote spear crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:00pm
spear crazy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha have fun in the sub 2 meter viz
Axemen Spearfishing... "Putting the crap back into elite"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:04pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You never know your luck . Better than sitting here and reading about it . Only need a couple meters vis to shoot a king . Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:08pm
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The first and last time I went I had less than 1m vis lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:50pm
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

10m vis at ti point today, but apparently I didn't go far enough down the path for fish, ending the day with 2 octopus. All I saw were small fish and nothing of interest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tab47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 6:32pm
tab47 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went to the Outty yesterday with Spearcrazy. Was a nice way to kill a morning. Vis was probably 2 meters at the most, bloody fishy all the right signs but not enough vis to  work with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 7:25am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Qkrwogud Qkrwogud wrote:

10m vis at ti point today, but apparently I didn't go far enough down the path for fish

Don't bother going down the path at all- there's a lot of fish in the harbour and you'll just be walking past them, just jump in at the wharf and swim around. It seems like a long swim but it's not really.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:54am
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by herby herby wrote:

10m vis at ti point today, but apparently I didn't go far enough down the path for fish

Don't bother going down the path at all- there's a lot of fish in the harbour and you'll just be walking past them, just jump in at the wharf and swim around. It seems like a long swim but it's not really.  

I found that in large parts of the area, the water is extremely shallow to the point I could stand above the water, though it was low tide. There was a 3-5m deep area near the wharf and first set of rocks but that had about 10 guys fishing. Had a quick look around the area but all I saw was very small fish.

As I was getting out, I saw about 4 divers at the tip of the rocks before it turns around the corner. Saw 2 floats and at least one gun. I spoke to someone watching them from a distance and they said out there is where the fish are at.

This is roughly what my understanding is, I was in the green and blue area. After hearing so much chatter about Ti point I'm a bit disappointment with the two times I've been there so far, keen to try again though, probably in the red circle area.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Greenbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 10:27am
The Greenbone View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Qkrwogud,
If you want to dive Ti again you might need to prepare yourself for a swim. Round the corner from your red circle and head east along the coast. The guys that do well there (I am certainly not one of them) put in the effort and get some good fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:41pm
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is there anywhere specific along that southern coast and does tide matter? Just had a look and its at least 1.5 km long haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 3:16pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well I shot out to ti point yesturday late arvo and was welcomed with wcked vis compared to what I was expecting im guessing around 5-8 metres no fish were killed but saw a bit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 3:38pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ooohhh the wife just sent this photo from our place. 
Wouldn't be diving Whangaparaoa this week...
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 3:58pm
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking at this from my phone, what am I looking at?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 4:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Looks to me like red tide plankton bloom. this is expected this time of year. Water goes very manky and dark

should make for fireworks tonight (is really good phosphorescence usually)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 4:38pm
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the info.
Tossing up if I should check ti point again today or not.. haha I'm hoping my persistence pays off eventually..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Oceandiversity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 6:55pm
Oceandiversity View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good trip to the Barrier on Sunday with the dolphins underwater club. Plenty of crays and scallops. As the water turned to a mill pond, we had a curious seal that came to say hello on the way back, also the water got quite warm between Barrier and Little Barrier 20 degrees. (11 photos)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tylz00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 7:17pm
Tylz00 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What was the vis like blair?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Oceandiversity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 7:49pm
Oceandiversity View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

around 10 to 12 metres
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigbrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 8:27pm
bigbrett View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by herby herby wrote:

I found that in large parts of the area, the water is extremely shallow to the point I could stand above the water, though it was low tide. There was a 3-5m deep area near the wharf and first set of rocks but that had about 10 guys fishing. Had a quick look around the area but all I saw was very small fish.

As I was getting out, I saw about 4 divers at the tip of the rocks before it turns around the corner. Saw 2 floats and at least one gun. I spoke to someone watching them from a distance and they said out there is where the fish are at.

This is roughly what my understanding is, I was in the green and blue area. After hearing so much chatter about Ti point I'm a bit disappointment with the two times I've been there so far, keen to try again though, probably in the red circle area.

Mate I've seen trevally by the wharf and shot butterfish on the first point from the wharf.  If you time it right and jump in as the tide is outgoing you can let it tow you out to the point and ride the incoming tide back in - can be tough swimming back into an outgoing tide.
Also known as "Dory Rider"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 8:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

check it out now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote someone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 8:45pm
someone View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

went for a dive in whangaparoa area today, viz was about 4-5m. Couldn't get any snapper interested in kina but came across a group of 3 kingys. i think they just wanted to say hi but i misinterpreted it and shot the biggest one. 2nd kingy i've shot, 90 ish cm.
What do you do when they start swimming around you tangling you up in the line?? Gets a bit worrying.

Page  <1 433434435436437 472>