Big Perch

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Perch
    Posted: 01 Jun 2009 at 7:07pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone out  there target Perch or get them as a bycatch while Flyfishing theres been some good ones landed at Pupuke lately by the coarse anglers as well as trout on maggots.

I caught some beautys while spinning off the bank at Ototoa over the weekend along with one hen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 4:30pm
Toad2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yea i target perch. catch them with squidgies, tobys and flies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 3:15pm
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm not sure what qualifies as a big perch...but this guy was a fairly chunky number - caught this morning on a black and gold toby at Pupuke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 7:35pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one JamesD thats a good one they have been rumoured to go double figures in the South Island but the biggest I have heard of was 8pound from Lake Kereta.(Where fishiong is now banned)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 7:40pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used to instruct diving in Lake pupuke and we went in off the wharf by the pumphouse.About 50 metres off the wharf to the righ there is a buoy,at the bottom of that always saw plenty of perch about teh same as the one jamesd has caught.Often hand feed them and on night dives you woudl not believ the numbers of perch we often saw.There are some blimmin big salmon in there as well,we once saw a dead one that was a good 90 cm.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 5:53am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 10:02am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Going hard.... Salmon in Pupuke....really?

I've seen plenty of big perch in Pupuke (best area is between Carmel and Milford Primary) whilst spearfishing.
Kereta and Ototoa have a pretty big average size
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 4:11pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I visited the Mahurangi Technical Institute a wee while back and saw their Perch farm in full swing.  The biggest one they had was 2.4kg, but apparantly the record stands at 6kg for NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 9:19pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

I visited the Mahurangi Technical Institute a wee while back and saw their Perch farm in full swing.  The biggest one they had was 2.4kg, but apparantly the record stands at 6kg for NZ.
Are,nt those ones a different species "Silver Perch" for cleaning up after Grass Carp and eating plankton etc.?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 8:25am
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nope. 100% Perch. 

Heres a picture, coudn't get any in focus as they were quite active:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 4:33pm
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Where was the massive perch caught Lemmy? what a monster!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote arjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 11:17am
arjay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Woah!!! Where abouts in Northland are good spots for Perch Lemmy???
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 9:46pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not to keen to reveal locations online sorry,but any of the dune lakes on the West Coast contain big Perch just no one targets them specifically.
Big Perch eat big baits and some of the best ones have fallen to ledgered Dead baits preferably "freshly killed"Perch or trout up to 2 pounds at night.
During the Day live baits and lures are more productive but most Big Perch Anglers just use the day as a bait catching time and concentrate their efforts to coincide with the nocturnal activitys of the big boys who have been swimming New Zealands lakes since the 1800,s reaching 12lb to 13lb.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote arjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 9:53pm
arjay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that lemmy - I just like perch but prefer using lures. Biggest so far probably around 3-4lb actually from turtle lake in hamilton before they cleaned it out  but might try for some jumbos up north after seeing that pic. staggering Shocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 10:37am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks Lemmy fair enough about not revealing locations but i think you gave given us enough general info! so Steve when are we going? LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 11:01am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Also i often wonder why more people don't target Perch? they are a good eating fish from clean water and can be caught on similar methods to the current soft baiting craze with Snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 1:14pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I disagree Simon.  They taste like rubbish and dont have the firm texture and lack size to make a satisfying meal.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote arjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 1:37pm
arjay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cam is playing cricket all weekend - had a good frost today - hope that doesn't put the brakes on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 2:32pm
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

I disagree Simon.  They taste like rubbish and dont have the firm texture and lack size to make a satisfying meal.

im going to try one anyway and see what they are like... even if they are crap I'm still keen as to land a biggie on light gear. I guess the yellow perch they catch in the states are a lot different eating wise?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 2:33pm
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by arjay arjay wrote:

Cam is playing cricket all weekend - had a good frost today - hope that doesn't put the brakes on.

nah Perch are one of the few coarse fish you can still catch in winter... ive been out at Hamilton lake during the middle of winter freezing my ass off and caught heaps.
Page  123 5>