Advice for those starting out

Page  <1 115116117118119 126>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pixie Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 1:54pm
Pixie Z View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Definitely helps when diving certain areas to keep fish away from other predators. Having dived a few years in Wellington I never once had issues, but living now in Dunedin I have either seals, sealions or seven gill sharks try and take my fish at least once every two or three dives. I'd love to get one of these for down here to keep my fish out of reach but as a poor student I can't afford to spend $350 or so on a plat. Thinking of trying to build my own.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 2:58pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheap solution - boogy board with a catch bag on top, and a foam noodle cable tied around the edge of it. Light and simple. Not so good for a super long swim, but anything else is fins. Light too
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 7:13pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've had one of those for about 3 years now. Works well. I added a handle on the left rear as I found it difficult to get the fish in whilst trying to open the lid. I carry it inverted on an old external frame backpack, sans the bag, secured with tiedowns. I've carried it up the hill from Moeraki with 16kg of fish and a wet wetsuit and gear, so it works well as a backpack. I took it on the Rakuira tramp, after mounting detachable kayak wheels. It handled the sand well, but not the 100s if not 1000s of steps😡. So, money well spent for the peace of mind.
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alex Kri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 9:04pm
Alex Kri View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys for your responses! Just bought one. Will see how it work on practice :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AE25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 5:57pm
AE25 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Did the OH freedive course in weekend. 
Improved static breath hold from 3.15 to 4.00 on the first day.  2nd day I bombed out at 2.15!  WTF?  not sure what was different.. maybe just alarmed that I knew i wasn't going to beat my pb, as unusually I had lung burn and lung contractions early at 2mins and it just went to custard after that?  did feel like i was blushing by that stage and the breath up was a little rushed.  mind games raising my heart rate?

Improved my freedive depth from 7m to 23m.  stopped short of the 25m platform due to equalisation.  Lake Pupuke was pretty cold tho.  Not quite sure what exactly im doing wrong at depth.  initially it was mask squeeze interrupting my equalisation around 15m.  but once i'd mastered that i think i was descending faster than my ability to equalise around the 20m mark.  Not quite getting the frenzel to work at depth maybe.   I now have a blood spot on my eye ball due to the mask squeeze i think.  I enjoyed diving for depth..  but much more practice required! don't think i'll ever feel comfortable holding breath though.

Felt i've learnt what's needed to be a safe diver and how to train for better breath hold.  but mixed feelings about value for money at $425 when a 4 day PADI open water scuba course was $300 at PD.  In saying that, I don't think i would've ever learned that same practical lessons or as quickly just by googling freediving etc.  and I guess pushing your boundaries with experienced divers at hand is the invaluable part.  Particularly liked John as an instructor.

Oh and to my surprise the 2nd day i was able to swim freestyle for 8 laps or so (in 25m pool) as a warm down..  when prior to this course i'd be exhausted after 2 laps. Geek

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigbrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 7:02pm
bigbrett View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

4 day PADI course for $300??! Must be a grab one special or something.
Also known as "Dory Rider"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Newsmurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 7:23pm
Newsmurf View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff AE25! 
That course is far from a waste of money. 
I wouldn't rule out doing it for a second time one day.
I'd rather dive than breathe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AE25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 12:35am
AE25 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by bigbrett bigbrett wrote:

4 day PADI course for $300??! Must be a grab one special or something.
signed up at the boat show in may so i guess it was a show special compared to their 'deals' page. http://www.performancediver.co.nz/courses/courses_g1.php  but they then offered a referral promo where anyone referred could do it for $280.  maybe only the cold season? website advertised std price is $549.  meh, no tanks needed now :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 2:55pm
Toyz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys, looking at getting my first gun and saw these for pretty cheap http://wildblue.co.nz/shop/Spearguns++Parts/Spearguns/Vertex+SG53+100.html
anyone have any experience with these?

Or Anyone have any feedback or advice in buying a first gun?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swartie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 4:01pm
Swartie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a Vertex SG50, it was ok to begin with but I decided to get something with more power, as a beginner I noticed it was a bit too underpowered (watched the spear bounce off a few butterfish)

got an RA 120 haven't looked back, I never take the vertex out any more and keep it as a spare for friends if they need. 

I would say rather spend the money and get a decent gun to begin with as you will be purchasing one later on 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 6:41pm
Toyz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So an RA scorpia 90 or 100 maybe a better option then?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:45pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Toyz Toyz wrote:

So an RA scorpia 90 or 100 maybe a better option then?

Some guys don't like to use anything under 110cm for kings, especially with a single 16mm rubber. 
I have a 110cm Sparid and use it with a single 20mm rubber and its quite nice. 
I found a 120cm quite difficult to bring back when i started out, but that was all technique. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 12:30am
Toyz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ha I dont think I'll be spearing kingi's anytime soon, I'm down in Dunedin so Blue cod, moki and trumpeter are the go to here. 

Its pretty kelpie so I'm thinking a 90...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Greenbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 7:31am
The Greenbone View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So after doing this for a while, I'm still awful at spearing snapper. I intend to make some modest gains in this area. I'm not after trophies... Just a couple of succulent wee customers for the pan.

I always dive with a buddy and try to keep an eye on them from the surface. So on that note, how do those of you more successful than myself go snapper snooping when diving one up one down? Can it be done?

What sort of depths would you be hitting if specifically targeting snaps with a buddy? Any tips would be grand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigbrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 1:06pm
bigbrett View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Burley - it's hard enough snooping on your own trying not to make noise but even harder when there's two people making noise
Also known as "Dory Rider"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 7:10pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

90 is the way to go down here. A bigger gun gets tangled in weed and kelp and is more difficult to bring to bear. I've only used my 120 in the north of the SI and NI missions over the last 3.5 years. Scored a Kingi last weekend in Auckland. Just had the last of the steaks last night...

Going to give Shag a go tomorrow.

Originally posted by Toyz Toyz wrote:

Ha I dont think I'll be spearing kingi's anytime soon, I'm down in Dunedin so Blue cod, moki and trumpeter are the go to here. 

Its pretty kelpie so I'm thinking a 90...
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swartie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 5:06pm
Swartie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ah, then that changes things, obviously a 120 is harder to move round underwater, i would say dont get a gun that is underpowered. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pixie Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 12:47am
Pixie Z View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you're diving Dunedin a 90 or 100 is definitely the way to go. I use a 100cm wettie hybrid down here & love it. I also dive a lot around Wellington & the 100 is great for most stuff up there too. Have got a bigger gun for kingis.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustcallmeDoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 8:06am
JustcallmeDoris View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When I first started out I got my gear from Mike at Oceanhunter. I was going to get a 100 or 110... But Mike explained that shooting distance is a function of gun length (I really didn't have a clue). His next words have come true so many times... "Even with a 120, you'll wish you had more distance". Having said that, when I buy a second gun, it's a toss up between a 140 to have a crack at a really big kingy, or a 90, for convenient fun while on holiday...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 9:50am
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got a 95 with reverse mech (gives you ± 5cm more band stretch at reduced overall length) and it's the perfect length around Wellington (or further down south for that matter). You'll have to weigh between how often you come across a Kingie and/or Butterfish, Tarakihi, Moki, etc.
Page  <1 115116117118119 126>