Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 388389390391392 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 12:26pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by snapperdapper snapperdapper wrote:

Tele- I was out there with Wayne on Sunday morning trying to raise a bite from the fish we could see on the sounder. Only ended up getting a small trev, 2 commercial size snaps Wink ky which also went back. Mint day, crap fishing
My sounder is broken at the moment so I just focused on the edges of the reefs, lost 3 new jigheads at $3 a pop. The air was blue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 4:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DutchFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 11:44pm
DutchFish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out this morning to one of my close by spots in the bays! Beautiful morning out there, caught around half a dozen 20-25cm snappers sadly no keepers, and finished of with a nice 30cm gurnard :) My first gurnard ever luckily legal too!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ocean90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 4:13pm
ocean90 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good one dutchfish those gurnards are tasty aye.
Ground baiting muppet? you mean breaking up pilles etc around while drifting.

Looks like weather turning too poo!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 4:38pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captain Famous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 5:32pm
Captain Famous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yesterday morning out at Army Bay with Telecaster, fishing just after 7am I think it was. Great conditions, calm and sunny. Anchored up not too far from the rocks and reefs. Burley flowing from just under the kayak, baited with pilchard and squid. Too many small Snapper - stopped counting at 22! Closest to a keeper escaped being on the menu at 29.5cm. No bait fish caught and my gear and technique didn't produce the casting needed to tempt Kahawai, nor did trolling the lure. Also lost 2 x ledger rigs. Very clear water, so at least it was interesting to see the terrain down there and all the Kina although not able to spot fish easily from above, is it? A big round zero catch for me, so thanks Tele for donating some Kahawai..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 9:03pm
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When I started reading your post about all the under sized fish captain famous, my first thoughts were if you were using ledger rigs. then you answered my question a couple of sentences afterwards..

Seriously..throw your ledger rigs away. All they do is catch/kill undersized snapper. Only a trawler does this better.

For snapper fishing in less than 20 meters, use a light line with no sinker or maybe a 1/4 ounce maximum. The aim is to get the bait to just sit on the bottom. Cast your bait and forget about it. I often don't bother with a trace, just a hook on the end of a mainline. You will still catch a few undersized fish but nothing like a ledger rig does... 

Legasea Legend, the rest of you should be too, $10 a month.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captain Famous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 11:27pm
Captain Famous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Plow, I had no idea on ledger rigs being magnets for undersize fish. Why is that? 

I often use a variety of rigs and will may have a ledger, a stray line on a very light weight and a sabiki set with 3 hooks (max) in the water to see what works and what's biting. But never had such a high count of undersize fish as last Sunday, ever. I wish I'd taken more notice of how the rigs were performing and I may have worked it out. I'll leave the ledgers out of the mix for a while and use single hook as you recommend and hopefully be reporting back with some good results. That's the good thing about forums like this to get info from those that know. Thanks! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 8:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 8:53am
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Totally Dan-  This weekend was the first in a long time that the weather kept me ashore. Yeah, lots of flu going around atm Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pizzaeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 5:16pm
pizzaeater View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Am in for wednesday if weather holds... Too early for Roheet point?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 5:38pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pizzaeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 6:36pm
pizzaeater View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah, my guess is that school may not have made it there yet.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 6:47pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 10:38am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Would the comm's be lurking around that area this time of the year?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:31pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm off for a paddle tomorrow I think
Ñ need of some fresh snapper might head to orere
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 12:41pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Going to head to Orere on friday morning for a quick dash if any one is keen
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 1:46pm
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Making me jealous GG. Here I am stuck in town on the first calm day in ages Cry  Good luck out there- I have fished it once and it treated me very well that day...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 4:18pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 4:38pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

haha matters not if they hide from the fish finder as long as the hook finds their mouths.
Page  <1 388389390391392 849>