Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 351352353354355 850>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 4:31pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Kahawai were working at the north end of rangi this morning. The snapper were hard to find though.
Fresh kahawai was the best bait. Came home with 4 kahawai & 2 snapper.
Kahawai is prepped ready for the smoker tomorrow morning.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 4:48pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 7:19pm
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yeah, not sure where or when just yet. I know tomorrow is out...maybe Saturday evening. Probably local too. I'll keep an eye out on the weather and water. How was the water clarity when you went out Bullet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 8:55pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Water was average but not great, approx 4m vis........could see the kahawai just below the surface feeding, see the bl##dy shags and other birds having a go at the smelly bait on the way down..........they didnt touch the SB though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 12:12pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a good session this morning. Few little snaps just on sunrise, but pretty slow. Then spotted birds and KY about a km out further so gave chase. Had a great session of jumping KY (kept 2 for the smoker released prob 6 more) and good fighting snaps to 50cm. Took home 5 snaps and let go at least another 5, all good size. Was quite knackering fighting so many ky so left to come in around 9.30 with the work ups still happening over a massive area. Orsum fun.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 3:23pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 4:03pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Must have been exciting Dan! How many more kingies did you want to catch this season! If you catch them by the tail they dont count Wink
Must have been a good day all round, hope to hear a few more good TR's today? 
This was the first really good result I've had on the Zman Opening Night, its never really worked that well in the past, but today it was far and away more attractive to both KY and Snaps. Even in the middle of the works ups the redbone, pink grubs, and NukeCh, were not getting hit as much as the ON. Must have looked like a big fat whitebait.
Was so much fun out there there this morning, I still cant get over how many fish were around after having such an ordinary start to the year up here. Hope its kicked off now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 4:17pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 7:02pm
Gold
Gold

Good result there BMY! daaaang! wish I could get up there and get amongst it, but the budget dictates otherwise...Dead keen to do an erly Sunday a.m  mission up north next month? Maybe boat that beast that smoked me a few weeks back ay...
Good haul there too Dan! 40lb kingy....I'm thinking out of town right? Mojo back and making up for lost time it seemsWink
I'm thinking NN early Sunday morning if any of you's are keen to join me?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captain Famous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 7:04pm
Captain Famous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

At Waitawa Regional Park with Telecaster this morning, on the water by around 6.30am and I had good fishing mostly on pilchard and anchovy bait for several hours. Unanchored and no drogue, just drifted out with the tide and current, no wind and very flat water for a good while. Plenty of bites and I kept 6 Snapper and 5 Jack Mackerel, put loads of smaller Snapper back. Less bites as the wind started, back on shore 10.30am. Keepers were 31cm, 32cm, 34cm, 41cm, 41cm, 51cm (51cm my personal best this year so far possibly and was taken on a hand line). I think the chunks of pilchards on sharp new-ish hooks got the best results, less so on the squid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 7:22pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 9:07pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice reports! SD I'm keen to get out next month with you.
My kahawai looked awesome before going into my new stainless steel smoker.
It came out burnt so had to throw it all away. My neighbour suggested soaking the wood chips in water first. To stop them catching alight. He soaks his chips in a 50/50 water and brandy mix for 30 mins. Guys, his smoked fish is the best!

Can anyone else recommend a solution or is my neighbour onto it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 9:59pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How long did you cook it for? Was it on the bbq flame or with meths in the dish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 11:04pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cooked it with meths - Approx 1/2 full in the dish (its a SS Smoker from the Warehouse ).
How long.....not too sure, thats why I did a half full dish so I could add more if needed.
(the instructions in the box recommend 1 full dish plus a half if required).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 11:53pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Should not have burned long enough to overcook fish with half full of meths. I put tin foil in base & put manuka chips on that, makes clean up easy. I also raise the wire mesh grate about 20mm on packers in each corner to raise the fish away from the heat a bit. Normally use smoker on old bbq for about 15 - 20 mins as I did tonight, came out spot on. Used it up at Waitawa on wed with meths, needed two lots of meths about half full, did one half then checked it & refilled the other half. That was all the meths I had with me so luckily it was just cooked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 11:59pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How did you prep fish? I leave skin & scales on & if got more then one fish slice them in half & smoke the halves with backbone in, the other halves I skin & fillet for frypan or make a curry. I normally use non iodised sea salt & either brown sugar or sweet chiili sauce. Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 12:01am
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I fished Waitawa on wed morning picked up 5 very good ky & put 1 32cm snap back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 7:18am
Gold
Gold

Thats a good result there Telecaster- mustve been fun pulling in the big one on the handline! Bullet- I have my smoker also set up on my bbq. After putting a light spread of manuka chips over the areas that get heat, I then use the lowest setting on two of the three burners only- and it works every time. That being said though, I'm not a fan of the loooong smoked ky, so this is done in 20 minutes: outside orangey brown smokey sweet goodness, contrasting with the creamy flesh inside. A cool twist is dusting a load of course ground black pepper over the fish before smoking. Hmmmmm getting hungry nowBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 9:16am
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice result there Wayne..you gotta be stoked with that.

Dan that must have got the heart pumping mate! Been ages since I've seen a good king.

I had a boat fish up in the BoI on Thursday with 'grandad and the kids'.. Got a great feed of mussels plenty of smaller snapper, no biggies, 4 KY's for the smoker. Was a beaut day. Kids loved it.

Looking forward to a return to the yak for a baitless mission anytime soon.... Enjoying the variation of fishing styles...

Legasea Legend, the rest of you should be too, $10 a month.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ocean90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 11:02am
ocean90 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sounds like everyones being doing good on the fishing plenty of action! thanks for the reports guys
Got back from a week up north waipu camping. Tuesday wens morning early mish with great conditions lots of birds ky working with the beach having surf swell rolling in all week.
Both mornings soft baiting over sand also took out squid stinky bait, good bite and snapper up too 55 we all had plenty of fresh snapper to go around.
Was good too spend a bit more time using soft baits so wanted to get evening fish in Thursday was out around 4PM drifting over over sand and patcy reef weed got onto some big ky which was funny thay stayed down low did not jump or run like thay were half asleep, let go everything as didn't need more fish.
About 5.30PM put out a gulp crazy legs jerk shad started to get big wacks one too three off it went! my drag was good fairly tight the fish ran in a straight line towards the beach and was not stopping! I grabed it out of rod holder as I watch my braid spinning off the reel fast using both thumbs now for slowing fish down but it seem like four ever to get him under control I was thinking he will find some reef soon! but stay high in the 5/6 meters lucky for me I gain some line back and my knots helled together nearly ten mins and I was over the top of him and at the same time dragging my drouge in an other mono line out of the way! just now wanted too get a look at him, strong fish to more big dives so close, as I got him side ways great looking golden snapper! reached out and got my hand near the soft bait slid fish across my lap cool approx,67cm and fat as healthy fish quickly got the soft bait out of mouth sun going down so back over the side and release he swam down too bid tail kicks good bye.
So a cool fun eveing last fish , nice camp ground friendly local as well.
Page  <1 351352353354355 850>