Rigging peeler crabs

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 41south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rigging peeler crabs
    Posted: 21 May 2008 at 10:24am
41south View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi there, new to the forum - and SP fishing.

I did a quick search but didn't find an answer to this question - what is the correct/best way (or everyones favourite) to rig the Gulp 2" peeler crabs?

Many thanks
Colin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 10:38am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just put a 6/0 circle hook through the middle
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 11:52am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What he said. Some people use them on jig heads but I use them primarily on a sinker above hook set up and just drag them along when I drift the sands on my kayak. They do bloody well on gurnard but have had trevs, Kys, snapper etc, even a small shark once.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 12:01pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, sinker running down on top of hook for me too.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 1:09pm
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have had good results out West side with the 2" Peeler Crab. I fish using Synit Deepwater Rigs, that means I know which way up my worm hook is going to be sitting on the bottom. I push the hook in and back out of the bottom side of the crab so that when it is on the bottom, his bum is into the sea bed and his little claws are pointing skywards, like a crab in the defensive posture. Many fat snappers and gerbils have found their way into the bin with this set up. Haven't been able to reproduce the same results on the East side yet.
No half measures!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 10:21pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i use a running egg shaped sinker with a triple surgons knot to form a small loop then a short flouro trace to a 2/0 kl hookhooked through the crab . this stops the crab from spinning as it is pulled along. can be cast out from an anchored boat and very slowly retrieved. deadly. give it a jerk every 5m or so to puff the sand up and the snapps will beat the gurnards every time.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 41south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 9:45am
41south View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for all the replies guys Thumbs%20Up
Amateur, is the deepwater rig similar to the captains/elevator rig? Ive found the Synit web site, but there isn't any info on it that I can find (and I'm definitely a picture person Dead )

I caught a good size gurnard off the south end of Welly airport on the weekend using a standard jig head rig with a 5" Gulp squid sp. Then 10 minutes later had a nice fat Kawhai jump on the same rig. They are sure great sport on the light rig Big%20smile

Cheers
Colin.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 10:34am
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi 41south, there is a similarity with the captains rig but the Synit one has produced the results for me. Check out the thread this link takes you to. http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=23509
As you will see, the folk on here use all sorts of different rigs and they all work, I started soft baiting with Synit rigs a year ago and have never gone away from them. I think the key is to get to the bottom where the snappers are and maintain some natural looking movement. If you PM Men In Black you will be tapped directly into the Synit main artery. Thumbs%20Up
I haven't found any other form of fishing that is as exciting as catching fish on a soft bait set up, especially snappers, for me that's were its at, but I haven't hooked a kingi yet! Just wait till you get a good string pulling snappy, you'll understand what I mean.
No half measures!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:46pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I read somewhere that you should put the hook in so that the crab moves along sideways.  Sort of like below which is my shocking representation of a size 4 or 5 worm hook.  I've caught the odd fish with this set-up in the Sargeant's channel.  This would probably spin, sit upside down, etc, and if that worries you, the Synit rig would be better.  You can also get hooks with lead "keels" on them which would help overcome this problem. Smear the crab with Stimulate fish attractant every so often.  (learnt this from Betterthanwork).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 9:36am
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Exactly what I was trying to describe Far Quick, you're a smarter computer operater than I. Thumbs%20Up
No half measures!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 10:22am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

my 1st play with softies was with these crabs, I used a 7/0 gammy and threaded it side ways so the crab looked like it was having a wander, did not use any sinkers as i was only in 4m of water, had the set up on my saltfly, dam if it was not alot of fun, a slow bottom and even mid water retrieve did the damage, and on the fly they cast well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 12:10pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone used the crabs for mahimahi or albies?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 1:11pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Herby - what are you on?
Would be just the ticket for your Omaha gurnard - might try this saturday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 1:16pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Theyre about the same size as the crabs that hang onto kelp paddies, so they might be a goer for the fish that hang around the paddies?
Heard albies often have crabs in their guts too.
I dunno.
Tiras and I jumped onto a few kelp paddies over summer to see what we could spear (nothing as it turned out) anyway I swam through a patch of kelp, put my head up to talk to tiras, only for him to laugh at me because I had a bunch of those crabs running over my head.Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 2:08pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

grabs on your head and face herb, recon your looking for love in all the wrong places lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 9:05pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I rig mine with a 4/0 circle hook through the middle then above that a ball sinker which is allowed to run up/down the line. I cast it out behind the drifting boat and allow it to be dragged along while actively fishing a SP in-front of the boat.  I used it mainly on mad flats in shallow water. 

Was quite successful mid summer when the Snapper were around down here.  The only crab I had luck with was the gulp, tried a couple of other brands and only got nibbles. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 9:57pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like to dangle mine across any spearos in the area and hope that they bite!
Either that or just push any hook (circle, worm, jig head or other) through the crab and drop the thing over the side. Many a blue cod or carrot has devoured the crab lure to my gratification. I've tried rigging the crab on different angles but have not found much difference from the rigging styles. I have found that small jiggles work better than large ones with the crab baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 10:27pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

the reason i use a small hook through the bum of the crab is so that it looks as if its backing away from the snapper. i have had good sucess on the sand up to about 20m but the 5-10 m area is best. the snapper today were full of tuatua yet they grabbed the grabs no sweat. had fish for tea again tonight, yumy!!!.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2008 at 10:25pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One of my favourite SP'S I use for the Magnificent Gurnard. Hooked through the side on a 4/0 circle. Got x2 large ones today Welly south coast. These are two inch amber glow. Do they still sell the smaller ones? Perfect for Tarakihi on 1/0 circles i reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 8:44pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Cut a 2" crab in half for the terakihi?
Page  12>