Daiwa

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chopsticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 6:59pm
chopsticks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The whole Shimano vs Daiwa thing is quite dumb as they both have their respective models that may be superior to one another. They also have models that are similar in performance and reliability. For example, a Saltiga reel is better machined than a Trinidad. However the Trinidads are silky smooth under load and rarely give any trouble which is true also of the Saltigas. Because the Trinidad uses more stamped parts than a Saltiga doesn't make it less of a reel if those parts functions perfectly and reliably.

The way to find out if your reel is up to it is to use it.

CONFIDENCE: The feeling you have before fully understanding the situation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 8:03pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks good Tom go thrash Shyte out of it bro - Simple Approve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 8:18pm
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yepApprove
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 8:33pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think daiwa have a better range of high end spinning reels than shimano and it would be great to see them on the shelves of shops..the certate is amazing for the coin when compared to the new model 4000 stella at $950..the aussies have alot more choice in spinning reels...hopefully we will get them over here

2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 9:05pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

dont think anyone is saying one reel is better than another chopsticks as has been mentioned most perform fine, some of us cant afford the huge money of a stella, saltilist etc etc,
does anyone remember gone fishing a few years back when Grahame Sinclair got a nice marlin on a penn 950ss spin fisher? but at this time from what you read you would think the reels are no good,
 flash and pricey is not always where its at
then there was the guy in the fishing news who got a stripy on a silstar spinning reel on the west coast, no right in wrong with what we use, just looks better when we post on TAS lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 9:59pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Use it and give it death. I used a TLD15 for ages until I had enough saved up for the OJ4K.

I tried and tried to get a good jigging combo for less than $700, but then realized in that time I'd spend about $400 on jigs.... no point tryin to keep it cheap, jigging aint cheap

On the daiwa brand issue, I really tossed up getting another bigger saltiga and even the 600gm although it looks kinda gay to me. The only reason I went with the OJ in the end was cause so many others used them and they were proven. If the same had been shown by kiwis using the salty I'da gone that way without a second thought. Not a follower just didn't want to go out on a limb and buy some expensive crap that wouldn't cut it.
Does/has anybody used the OH Saltigas for heavy jigging duties?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 10:17pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The heaviest Saliga is the 40.  It is a little small for HD use and the drags are much less.   than OJ.  Handle arm is also short.  Its still a very good reel but the OJ IMO is better for HD jigging.  The OJ superiority is borne out by the numbers of kiwis buying them.   If Daiwa made an OJ equivalent it would be OK.  I've only seen photos of the new 600gm and don't consider it an OJ equivalent.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 11:21pm
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

part's availability is a bit of an issue for Daiwa in 5 years time you wont be able to get parts for your Daiwa, as they just dont carry them on when new models come out.
I dont buy Shamino because of marketing skams ,for me it's just a better product.

Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chopsticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 1:13am
Platinum
Platinum

Cam, parts are always available from one of the huge online US reel parts suppilers - although that is definitely not a next day proposition.

Chris is right regarding the drag on the Saltiga overheads. The SA 40, SA 50 and SA 30T all have the same drag which is about 14 kgs when tweaked. The drag washers on these reels are much smaller than those of the larger Trinidad 40N, 40 and 50 which use the same drag washers as the OJ 4000/5000 reels (the OJ 4000P/5000P drag washers are 2 mm smaller in diameter). The Japanese domestic Saltiga Z40 which is designed for jigging is basically a Saltiga SA 30T with a much longer handle, however it still uses the same drag as that reel.

Jimijig uses a little Salty SA 20 which has even less drag than the above to good effect on his JM PS150.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chopsticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 1:17am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

dont think anyone is saying one reel is better than another chopsticks ........

Actually BA, several people were saying just that. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 9:37am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by chopsticks chopsticks wrote:

Jimijig uses a little Salty SA 20 which has even less drag than the above to good effect on his JM PS150.

Yea that, and what others said prompted me to get the SA15 for my 200 a while back. After usin that I was leaning towards getting one of the bigger for my heavy set up (the 30T,40 or 50) because I love the lil 15. I bought mine for a light jigging set up on the kayak but after a to many bust offs its being retired to use on mates boats for bottom fishing and if theres only small kingies around. I've been told that all the saltigas OH models have the same max drag pressure but I'm not sure, my little 15 can pull 11-11.8kgs on the scales though.... Sure thats no OJ but neither was the price tag so I think its still pretty good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 9:57am
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by ChrisW ChrisW wrote:

The heaviest Saliga is the 40.  It is a little small for HD use and the drags are much less.   than OJ.  Handle arm is also short.  Its still a very good reel but the OJ IMO is better for HD jigging.  The OJ superiority is borne out by the numbers of kiwis buying them.   If Daiwa made an OJ equivalent it would be OK.  I've only seen photos of the new 600gm and don't consider it an OJ equivalent.

Your right chris its size (600gm) is about the same as saltiga 40 but drag is 13-15kgs standard but it is a very good PE 3-5 reel they also make a mugen also a 40 size reel. If daiwa nz have access to the world range of reels why do we never see them? its a givin that shimano is the prominant reel in NZ as in my opinion daiwa are not doing thier prducts justice by stocking only the bottom to middle end of thier range. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotowarriors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 11:26am
Rotowarriors View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm confusedWacko, I own a Penn, a Shimano, an Okuma(don't Laugh) a Daiwa and soon an Avet and all have served their purpose well so far. ie none have exploded on a fish.

I would really like to give this Jigging a bash, but if you're saying that the only viable option is a OJ4P then its out of my range, but if I'm not jiggin at the 3 Kings or Banks is it really necessary to have that serious gear. Arent' most Kingi's caught around 15-25kg

Wouldn't the Pro Gear 30,Saltists and the like be up to the majority of kiwi Kings. Can someone gis a list of what we should be looking at and what we should avoid
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 11:46am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Roto I have the oc30 and its more than enough for the kings around here. I havent been busted off by a king  since october and have landed some 200+ kings on it since then.
A guy I fish with also jigs with a saltist40 and has not had any problems either.
Unless your fishing in area's where monsters are likely to lurk then there is no point in using a reel that is clearly overkill.

Penn torque, Daiwa saltist/saltiga/sealine, shimano torium/trini/oc will all do the job with ease but unless you are going to be using the top gear on a regular basis then it is just a waste of money IMO

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotowarriors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 11:58am
Rotowarriors View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Big Ups to Mozz for a clear concise answerClapClapClapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chopsticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 1:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Badfish Badfish wrote:

I've been told that all the saltigas OH models have the same max drag pressure ......

Daiwa rate all their Saltiga O/H models as having the same drag and it's simply not true. The largest drags are found on the SA 40, SA 50, SA 30T and Z40. They come standard with about 10 kgs of drag but can be increased marginally to around 12-14kgs.

The Saltiga SA 15, SA 20, SA 30. Z20 and Z30 all use the same drag and come standard with about 8 kgs but can be tweaked to give around 10-12kgs of drag.

Mozz is on the money when he says the OC 30, Saltist 30T, larger Toriums, Penn Torques etc. all make good jigging reels. They're well matched to rods like the JM 350 and it's smaller brothers. They all could do with a longer handle but they still work. I personally think that the OC30 is the pick of them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 2:30pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rotowarriors Rotowarriors wrote:

I'm confusedWacko, I own a Penn, a Shimano, an Okuma(don't Laugh) a Daiwa and soon an Avet and all have served their purpose well so far. ie none have exploded on a fish.

I would really like to give this Jigging a bash, but if you're saying that the only viable option is a OJ4P then its out of my range, but if I'm not jiggin at the 3 Kings or Banks is it really necessary to have that serious gear. Arent' most Kingi's caught around 15-25kg

Wouldn't the Pro Gear 30,Saltists and the like be up to the majority of kiwi Kings. Can someone gis a list of what we should be looking at and what we should avoid
RW i used a saltist 30 for a while and it does good ,It wont last day after day jigging but it dose the job and for about $350 you cant complain. HAS ANYONE GOT SALTIGA 15 for saleQuestion 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 3:18pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll sell ya mine for $700 I'm helpfull I know. You should be able to land one for just over $400 if you can't find a 2nd hander though...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 3:25pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Swap you 5 rods and reels for your saltiga
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 3:48pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats kinda funny cause I sold 5 rods and reels to buy it. Thanks for the offer but no sale, it was my first really nice reel and I love it, the more expensive OJ might be in the collection now but the Salty is just tu meke and I'd only want another one if I got rid of this one.
Page  <1234>