3 Mile Reef

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EKO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 Mile Reef
    Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 7:26pm
EKO View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I haven�t got a depth sounder yet, what's the easiest way to find 3 mile reef outside of the harbour I want to fish the right hand side, is it buoy #4? to line up with it.

The left side out by the old woman is a pice of cake to find.
Its not about the size of your boat! "But how you use it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 8:05pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i tried to get land marks off the chart but to hard..

Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EKO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 8:54pm
EKO View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Can you upload the chart to pdf?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 9:14pm
empty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wheres 3 mile reef

what happened to the pissing man?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goneburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 9:24pm
Goneburger View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm from Whangarei, but have not fished huge amounts up there since a kid. From what I remember it's basically as it sounds, 3 miles off entrance to Whangarei harbour and I think you just take a line off the last main bouy marking entrance into the harbour. Essentially it's foul ground in deepish water and in summer can really fire up at times, but is heavily fished.  Bit like the worm beds in AKL, but different bottom obviously. Couple of Whangarei guy's on the site will probably give you much more detail..Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uffy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 10:15pm
Uffy1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

EKO,

You will find it tough without a sounder as the reef is a large area of low foul with the fish often in patches and not all over the reef.

A good place to start would be at the fairway buoy (the furthest one out - red and white) and head due south from there. Once you have gone about 800m you should start hitting the foul. It runs right across Bream Bay from there right down to the Waipu end. If you can locate a chart you will see where I mean.

There should be a few  snapper out there at this time of year and probably more than a few boats on a good day so this would help you out.

Best of luck.

Uffy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 11:01pm
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

EKO-try this for size......3 Mile Reef Chart Shown on there as #4...hope this helps.
Fishing out there has been quite sparadic lately...but there's always enough for a feedThumbs%20Up

Drop us a PM when your heading out...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puruhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2007 at 5:02am
puruhi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

just keep Mangawhai sand hills visible out from bream tail and the Ruakaka river mouth opposite andyou can,t miss it ,was there last Friday a lot of goldfish  and rats, but still got a bin full of smokers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EKO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2007 at 6:57pm
EKO View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thank you very much for the information, Im heading out early saturday morning. fingers crossed, last week with the charter operator wasnt so good as it was a dead moon, but I have been told the fishing should be on every were from Wednesday to Sunday.

Oh they are catching snaps around 7 to 9 kg at the chicks on the good days. Also I have heard  that in 14 days time the fish should be on....spwan time  lets hope.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Caillan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 9:54am
Caillan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi does any1 have a map where the 3mile reef is in whangarei please?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 1:43pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 1:54pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Skoti, you're going to give away all the secret fishing spots!

LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:29pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not my spot , so it doesn't matter Tongue LOL LOL
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:51pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fished it Saturday as drifting wasn’t producing. Plenty of pennies there. Good luck 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb