Back to the trusty manukau

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back to the trusty manukau
    Posted: 26 Jul 2007 at 10:20pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well with a few days off and the wind keeping me off my yak, i thought i would go back to my old spot on the manukau. With a leisurely start i arrived at my spot (not the one i wanted to fish as the tide wasnt going to go out far enough for me to fish long enough at the other favoured spot Seal knows about). 4 rods (3 for gurnard and one to try for trevally) and a sp setup were all rigged one by one  and ended up looking like a stack of pins. Another lovely day on the Manukau (wind only showed up occasionally)
As the last rod was getting baited up i got my first strike of the day and in came a healthy gurnard on my brand new 4500 bait runner, actually put up a good fight and even did some aerials???? (havnt seen gurnard jump before must be the shallow water?) Fresh baits sent out and the two left rods in the picture scored 5 gurnard before the tide started to slow and everything went quite for a few hours, the fish were all holding in the same area, all caught on salted bonito. With a good feed before low tide (usually have to wait untill the incoming tide to start catching fish so was very happy!) the pressure was off, i could still actually catch fish!Big%20smileLOL
Some people may recognise this spot:
The tide eventually turned and in came a few more fish, i was aiming to double my effort but had to settle for 8 nice gurnard (no gurnard guru winners like last time but good eating all the same) Big%20smileand a nice fat kahawai but with gurnard for the table it went back  (funny i only ever get kahawai around that spot in the winter). 3 of the 4 fish on the incoming were caught on the right hand side rod and on mullet..... the one fish i did catch on the left came about a minute after putting a fresh what looked like a tiny stargazer out of one of the other gurnards guts on??? Gave up on the trevally after a while as it was too much hassle tying mussels on (that still dissapeared maybe the hooks were too big) and all that rod caught was one big log and a horse mussel shell? go figure.....
Still a good little session i don't think anyone would argue with a nice feed of gurnard when surfcasting now all thats left is to go and get some east coast snapper..... maybe next weekLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2007 at 10:25pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice feed of gurnards indeed there Deacs.

Water looks pretty shallow...how deep you reckon you were putting the baits into?

Must say I have not done much manukau fishing but would love to join ya for a day out that way when I return home mate.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2007 at 10:33pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Probly only a few meters maybe 5-6 max, basically flasher rigs (using the youvella tarakihi terrors in pink for gurnard either sinker on the bottom and a low lying rod or sinker attached to the top so it trails out the back) as soon as your cast lands you can flick the bail alarm over and it will be on the bottom or near enough, 4 ounces on the light gear 5/6 ounces on the15kg, all depends if you hitting the channel or not.
You are more than welcome to join me on an expedition when you get back these spots fire better in the winter with gurnard as you get plagued by small snapper in the summer but there are a few good pannies around aswell as Seal will attest to and its a good place to target trevally i reckon, never really done it but seal caught a few last time and in winter im sure they will be there, always plenty of action anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2007 at 11:29pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

sounds good mate! only ever caught one gurnard before Embarrassed
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2007 at 11:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Deacs, I have found a stargazer or two and some other odd fish inside bigger gurnard, the bigger ones do seem to like fish for dinner...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 6:08am
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice report DeacsThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 8:41am
SeaI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

must get out there for a gurny fish - good report!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 9:07am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You are a bum deacs.

That is all.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 9:32am
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good going  on the grunters Bro
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dirty Oar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 9:55am
Dirty Oar View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Deacs ya dorty bugger !!! good man see you have caught some fish might let you come on my boat now haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 10:14am
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers guys - JK catching gurnard is definately a fine art the amount of hours you have fished and only caught one tells the story LOL i will show you how to catch a few of them when you get back Big%20smile
Yeah smudge, i found the bigger ones had small fish and bigger crabs in them with the smaller ones only having shrimps etc in them.
Boz i am at work today and look what happens Tobez posts to go fishing, need to talk to him and want to go fishing but no i decide to come in for half a day, being a bum is where its at!!!!!!
Haha yeah Dirty Oar i decided to use hooks this time as i was after the hard fighting gurnardLOL  It seemed to work, i may try to use them on those east coast snapper now Thumbs%20Up 
Well i am only here for half a day today and am doing nothing tomorrow so when ever your ready i now have some good juju to rub off on your boat LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bait Feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 12:13pm
Bait Feeder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi deacs, what kind of sinkers are you using for the Manukau in the current? You say 4-6 OZ, are they breakaway sinkers or another shape? Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 12:23pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just normal clip on sinkers, i have used breakaways in the past but they are a bit bulky if you are putting them at the top of the flasher rig, i think they did help a little when the current was running and used on the bottom of the flasher, normally if you are using 6oz it should be heavy enough to stop it moving, or i just let it move with the tide untill it stops, you lose a little bit of length to the cast but they usually stop on the edge of the channel which is where you want it to be for the gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 5:26pm
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice effort.... i must try out there myself one of these days. Mossy bay is the only place in the manukau i have fished, and for very little results.

Still keen on hitting the westcoat/ piha area ... but the manukau is sounding more and more tempting with some nice results like that!
here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 6:59pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by deacs deacs wrote:

Cheers guys - JK catching gurnard is definately a fine art the amount of hours you have fished and only caught one tells the story LOL i will show you how to catch a few of them when you get back Big%20smile

Cheers mate lol

Must say I've never even targetted them before just happen to hook one  oneday when i was out bottom bashing for snapper!

Looking forward to the lessons mate LOL
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2007 at 2:40pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So then you havnt been to the manukau George?Confused Mozzy bay is in the kaipara LOL Will have to get you out there next time will let you know when i'm going or a trip with JK when he gets back, Boz also needs to come and see what the Manukau provides, no pressure next trip then....LOL With 4 people there are two spots that are fishable and both usually turn up the goods during the winter for gurnard.

I see Skoti did post on here (think he deleted it) that he got one in a short time, definately a bit of a patience game if you want to get a good feed but one is enough for a feed especially with the size of some of them at the moment. Big%20smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2007 at 3:27am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep that one gurnard I got on Friday was a goodie .
Perhaps not a gurnard guru winner but surely worthy of 10th Wink
I went to edit my post on Saturday but must've ended up deleting it Embarrassed
I was only there for an hour and 1/2 and most of that time was figuring out the best spots for casting to and from .
Tis a good spot indeed and will be back there for sure , better than fishing off that wharf ! !
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .