$1,000,000 marlin

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $1,000,000 marlin
    Posted: 23 Aug 2003 at 9:36pm
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Been wandering around 'The Hull Truth' again and chanced across the results of The White Marlin Open recently fished out of Ocean City, Maryland.

The white marlin section was won by a certain Doug Remsberg with a fish of 78.5 lb (35.6 kg). Doug walked off with US$ 1,303,965. I knew there was serious money in American comps but that is absurd. No wonder they tool around the ocean with three humungous outboards on anything that floats.

obald

PS I won a T shirt at Houhora last year - and for a much bigger fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2003 at 12:23am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

and we think $10.000nz is pretty cool .......

WoW odald that's one hell of a prize for a marlin......

just go's to show how much Recreational folk thinks a Marlin is worth to them..... when a commercial guy only gets 2 to 3 bucks a kilo for that same fish.......

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2003 at 12:23am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I once won a hat....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2003 at 10:49am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I won the 2000 west coaster for a marlin of 129kg and got $500
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2003 at 8:50pm
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

some of those contests are ridiculous.  i saw a picture in bluewater when they were yet again offering 1st division powerball lotto amounts for prizes. all the boats were buetifull and huge but they were fishing no more than a mile off the coast for sails in flat calm seas. no small boats? my point how much would the entry fees be?

b.m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Damo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 7:16am
Damo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hows the state of the Bass fishing in the States. Man! those guys pin some big money prizes for landing pannies. Massive sponsorship deals and promotions too. That's what you get when 10% of the 100 million population fish eh.

I won a hat once too Smudge.

Damo

www.charterconnection.co.nz
Facebook: Diversity-Fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Strawberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 11:54am
Strawberry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its a amazing to watch bass master on espn and to see the crowds they get to a weigh in they could fill eden park just to watch people weigh a 5lb bass in and the crowd goes wild

strawberry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 12:30pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On a motor bike news group, That Ive just been reading, a guy has just been telling everybody about the 2 lb bass he caught, wow, thats not even a kg. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Montague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 6:20pm
Peter Montague View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The big money is slowly comming downunder, if you checkout the World Billfish Series news page in our latest issue http://www.billfish.tv/download_issue.html     Lizard Is is the latest Aussie comp to form part of the WBS circuit - most of the US comps that form part of the circut eg Bisbees Black and Blue etc are up to 2 million. So Im sure as the popularity grows for the downunder part of the circuit so will the prize money.

Strawberry we recently had footage aired on TV here of the Carp tournaments in the UK now they had a man made lake, grand stand (full of spectators) and full on sports commentators TV radio everything for carp !! personally i think watching the grass grow would be more entertaining than carp

click here to get a copy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 7:02pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

smudge mate fancy a jaunt to the USA...

Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2003 at 4:18pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

holy cow, i just watched some gamefishing action on espn and those yanks are nuts man, tags to the guts...if it makes you feel any better barrie the ladies shimano busted at exactly the same spot as yours mate! im sure they wouldnt want that on TV
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2003 at 4:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yep .. lets go bust some yanks tobes.... I need a new hat. Psssst some fresh pillies would go down a treat for the KK

Damo, they say that 10% of fishermen catch 90% of the fish, well by my reckoning 2% of fishermen win 100% of the hats ... you and I may well be the Fishing Elite of this world.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2003 at 7:48pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

your wish is my command, fresh pilchards comin back with me on the wednesday before the contest, wil 4 day olds suffice?....i shall share my two new additions to the hat collection as well as im feeling lucky tonight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Damo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2003 at 7:41am
Damo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smudge me ole mate - you have made my day. All glory aside though, I did have to earn my hat.

Damian

www.charterconnection.co.nz
Facebook: Diversity-Fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2003 at 8:35am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

this thread has got me thinking....yeah I know...hard to believe!

I would estimate the total cash value of wins I have had personally or as part of a team in fishing comps would be close to the 10k mark - perhaps a smidgeon more.

5k of whiteware at the Whakatane YFT comp certainly helped.

Oh yeah I have also won a cap.....a nice Black Magic one at that!........So Smudge and Damo you are both in good company!

I say bring on the BIG MONEY comps
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2003 at 8:55am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I havnt won any caps but I did win a black magic beannie. Does this put me in the 2% Smudge ?

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Andrew@work Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2003 at 12:36pm
Andrew@work View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I seem to remember winning a comp once...I'm sure Smudge will remember that one.....and Joseph.......I think our prize was.........pride!!!!
Yet to reach the lofty heights of caps or beanies.....one day........perhaps Sept 20th ehh Smudge after all I am going out with a cap winning skipper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2003 at 11:36am
johnangus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Ocean City White Marlin Open began in 1974 with 52 boats now 30 years later regulary sees 250 boats entered. The 3 day tournament begins at 0530 each day with fishing commencing 0830 and ending 1530. The 3 hour difference at the start is because the grounds are at least 50 miles straight out or over 70 miles to the Wilmington Canyon in the north off the coast of New Jersey and nearly 80 miles to the NOrfolk Canyon off the coast of Virginia circa 100 miles to the south. The 100 fathom drop off runs straight up the coast and falls rapidly away beyond 500 fathoms. White marlin have to weigh 65lbs to qualify and as 70 lbs is a big fish most are tagged. Blue marlin have to weigh 300lbs, tuna 40lbs, wahooand dolphin 20lbs and sharks 100lbs. Standard tackle is 15/20lbs, trolled ballyhoo the bait and at 5 knots you don't cover much ground in the 7 hour fishing day. Blues run up to 500 lbs with some 700 plus, the Maryland record is 962 lbs with a few granders reported in Carolina further south. Fishing is found around the eddies caused by the cold Labrador current coming down from the north meeting the Gulf Stream coming up from the south. In the Light tackle tournament where each boat has a designated observer, the angler has to fight the fish from a dead boat and to get max points has to catch fish within 5 minutes. 100 points for under five mins down to 5 points for more than twenty.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 8:23am
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Well that's certainly very different from Houhora. Thanks for that fascinating insight johnangus - from Northland??

obald

PS Kerren, how come all our overseas correspondants live in Northland? I've looked all over Kaeo for Dustin and can't find a gamefishing chinese lawyer anywhere.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 8:51am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Obald

I think you will find "johnangus" does indeed hail from Northland.....have a look at the below results.

"1st Marlin of the Season Weighed:
��� 22.12.02 - G de Latour - 94.40 kg - Whangarei Deep Sea Anglers Club

1st Marlin of the Season Tagged:
��� 13.01.03 - Jane Hargen - BOI Swordfish Club

Saul Trophy - Most Tagged Game Fish)
��� 58 fish - John Angus - Whangaroa Big Gamefish Club

Lord Norrie Gold Cup - Heaviest Striped Marlin
��� 184.70 kg - Zane Roderick - Tauranga Gamefishing Club

Fisherman of the Year - Heaviest Game Fish)
��� 377.90 kg - Selwyn Eden - Mako - Mt Maunganui Sportfishing Club

The Peter & Noeline Short Memorial Trophy - most tagged billfish
��� 50 fish - John Angus - Whangaroa Big Gamefish Club"

But you are right, we really must have a list of international destinations to choose from....thanks for your input mate!!

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Page  12>