$1,000,000 marlin

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 10:11am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Obald, I think I would trade living in London for living in Northland in a heartbeat... BTW, how is your outrigger project going?

White Marlin are a grand little fish!  I don't suppose you Kiwis would give up your 200 pound stripeys for them, but they are real flyers on light tackle.  They're far stronger and faster than sailfish, and much prettier too, their fins and tail, and often their body can take on this wonderful neon blue glow that's simply gorgeous to see.  They're bold enough to attack big marlin lures and aggressive enough to strike again and again, yet real hard to hook if the hooks and tackle are too big and heavy.  They are tons of fun on up to a light 30# stand up outfit, but I don't know how you would land one in five minutes on 15 or even 20# gear fishing off a dead boat! 

cheers - dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 10:17am
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Dustin,

Outriggers - going for 18 footers on custom built 3 point base off the hard top sides - not built yet (why would you bother in September) but will send you a pic when they are done.

I'll send you a pm re something geograhical.

obald

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 12:12pm
johnangus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

White marlin are a lot of fun on light gear but believe it or not they are considered a pest in some places, especially around about now in The Azores where big blues are the target fish. A friend of mine fished tease and switch for three days ignoring every white marlin to get three 700lbs blues. He reckons the whitey's passed up could well have been in excess of a hundred! I don't know what the entry fee for the Ocean City Tournament is now but in the mid 1996 it was $750 per boat with various betting levels up to $5000. In those days to cover the board it would cost $9750 all in. Interestingly even though the tournament runs for 5 days you can only fish a maximum of 3. So if you do well in the first 3 days you could wait a nervous 48 hours awaiting the final outcome.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2003 at 7:46am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's funny but I always used to get a little miffed at those guys that feel White Marlin were a sh1t fish (I don't mean you John - please don't take offence).  Sure, most of us would rather catch a big blue, but when those are few and far between, sh1tty little Mr. Whitey has saved the day many a time.  Actually, John's observation on the size of White Marlin in the Azores got me thinking, I've been fortunate to see seen a really wide variation in size of those critters fishing at Madeira, from absolute babies of 5 pounds taken on tiny feather jigs intended to catch skipjack tuna and small dorado (incidentally these little lures get eaten by full-grown whiteys, too), to one fish that would definitely have gone over 100#s.  There seems to be a real wide size range of longbill spearfish there, too- from so small you wonder what the heck that thing is- exactly the sort of fish that Dr. Julian Pepperell would just love to dissect- all the way to real nice fish of 70# plus. 

Aah, I ramble.  BTW, on the subject of spearfish, what's the largest and smallest shortbill spearfish caught in N.Z.? 

cheers - dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2003 at 8:09am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Last season there seemed to be plenty of shortbills in the 5-10kg bracket ...mine was just a smidgeon over 12kg

The biggest caught in NZs waters was by Leonie Patterson on charter boat Tagit in 1999 and went 33.80kg which also takes out the WR women's 37kg record.

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2003 at 9:04am
johnangus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dustin, quantity 100 not 100lbs! My first ever marlin was a white from the Bahamas, I thought it was a small blue as it was 120-150lbs. From what I remember of the Azores the whites were around 40 lbs and Trevor Housby's European record was only about 70lbs or so. But that was a while ago. The only white marlin I saw in Madeira was one that fell out of a blue at the dock at Funchal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2003 at 10:21am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

John, 100 whites raised in three days, wow that's hot!  Might that blue you saw have been Kevin Nakamaru's 1,170 taken aboard the "Pesca Grossa"?  Those who saw it say that it had a whitey in its gullet.  I think the European record whitey has been bumped up to 90+ (Trevor Housby's fish dated back to 1985/1986) but I'm sure bigger will eventually be weighed in, probably either from the Azores/Madeira or from the Algarve coast of Portugal, they've got some goodsized ones there.  The nicest one I saw last year was a hefty critter that might have nudged 100#, it ate a large tube off the long rigger on 130 and had us wondering what it was for a few seconds.  It "Palm Beach Released" itself before I could get the gaff, ha ha.  There were quite a few around in that period in mid August- I sure miss fishing those feisty little guys.

cheers - dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2003 at 1:25pm
johnangus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dustin. No this was long before Kevin Nakamuru arrived, back in the mid 80's. I used to fish Brisa do Mar, Jennie Braz's boat. Russ Housby tells me its still there and hasn't changed a bit, not even the tackle!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2003 at 10:06pm
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi John, could you please say hi to Russ for me next time you see him?  I was in Ireland the same weekend Russ was passing through the UK en route to Cairns so I wasn't able to get the full and complete lowdown on how his season went in Madeira this year. 

Yes, the "Briso do Mar" is still pottering around the grounds with her oddball selection of tackle.  I believe she still runs with the same deckhand you must have fished with, too.  I've been racking my brains to remember his name but it escapes me, Fernando, maybe? 

cheers - dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2003 at 8:32am
johnangus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dustin, I didn't hear how it went for Russ but I know his Cairns partner in crime, "Bozo the Clown" wired Ghana's first grander blue a few months back. Russ wired some big blacks for me last October, I hope they have another good season, it may be their last.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2003 at 9:04am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hi ya John...

Seems you have had plenty of experience fishing for Atlantic blues and whites - how many of each have you caught and how do they compare to NZs humble striped marlin?....please post some photos of the whites you have caught as not many of us have had the pleasure of seeing what the look like!

thanks.

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2003 at 9:52am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh man, Kerren, New Zealand's humble striped marlin, what do you mean??  I'd give my left bollock (well maybe not- just speaking metaphorically) to live in the land of 200+ pound Striped Marlin.  Drool, drool, drool! 

John; good to read your posts, you've been round the block, that's for sure.  Fishing the Azores, and Madeira on the Briso back in the eighties, you must have seen some amazing fishing. 

cheers dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2003 at 1:30pm
johnangus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kerren most of the places I fished were at times when the marlin were not around but before I came to NZ I had caught a few small blues and whites in the Carribean and Bahamas. There is no replacement for a blue marlin that's why they call them Ferraris but then when it comes to stripies there's none to beat what we get here. Matt will tell you we were lucky to get a lot of big striped marlin this year but there is no comparison to a blue going ballistic and I would suggest at the risk of being contentious, that the NZ blue marlin if you are lucky to hook one, fights harder and more frantically than the one found in more tropical climes. Dustin I have seen more amazing bill-fishing in NZ than anywhere else, the grass ain't necessarily greener abroad and NZ has consistently performed for decades. On top of that some of the techniques used elsewhere don't sit too well with me. Anyway there is nowhere else to get a world class broadbill, nor striped marlin, nor mako, nor Yellowtail Kingfish and if I ever tire of catching them buggers I'll go back to the Tarpon in the Florida or maybe NZ's absolute favourite---------- carp fishing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2003 at 2:04pm
johnangus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Responding to you guys got me thinking about the quality of fishing in NZ even though it is a painfully short short season. According to my calculations that big broadie that Jerry Garrett got was probably the ninth biggest ever caught on rod and line and the first fish over 800lbs caught outside of Chile and also the first 800lbs fish for 50 years. In fact in the top twenty only one other was caught outside Chile and that was Murray Hansens. Everyone knows that there are much bigger broadbill out there and Matt has certainly tangled with a few of them. Back in the Chile days they had to almost rely on a fish being wrapped up, entangled or severely hooked in order to get it to the boat and in fact the world record 1182lbs was hooked in the dorsal wrapped up in the wire leader and was boated after only 1 hour 55 mins. Seemingly 55mins of fight and 1 hour to gaff it and get it aboard. Lucky I guess? I dunno. The Tuna Club had release buttons for tuna and marlin but not for swords. "Whoever releases broadbill, ha, ha". Well I guess most of the big ones just release themselves!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2003 at 7:48am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

John, interesting observation about NZ blue marlin fighting harder than other places, I've heard that argument backwards so to speak, some folks think that Madeiran blues don't fight so hard, and so the experts say, it's because of the cooler water.  I tend to think the so-called wimpy Madeiran blue phenomenon is probably because of expert boat handling and correctly applied, correctly sized tackle, if one wants to get into 4/5 hour marathon fights, it's entirely possible.  All that being said; Russ thought the Ghana blues scrapped harder than Madeiran ones, and he'd caught enough of both to know.

cheers- dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2003 at 8:17am
johnangus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm sure you are right but the picture is clouded by the fact that here (until this coming season) nobody used 130lb gear. It will interesting to see if it makes a difference although stripeys on 130 is mean and only the rich skippers are going to step up to the heavy gear and hopefully only for swords. The blues are too few to target and I know guys here think you can't tease and switch a blue. Talking of fight times, Alfred Glassell Jnr, the Black record holder and one of the Cabo Blanco founders never went more than 3 hours on a caught fish including big swords. What did those guys know that we don't? Perhaps we should all go back to choking them on a big double-hooked dead bait and leave the lures at home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2003 at 6:32am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah, the days of wooden rods and iron men!  Personally, though I'm sure that statement was true to a certain extent, I'm not totally convinced the oldtimers were as disadvantaged by the tackle they used, which was without doubt an enormous hassle to keep in good nick, but I'm sure worked pretty effectively when it was.  Line class selected for big fish was normally heavy, the standard seems to have been linen line in 39 thread (about 130# class), and I'm sure that non stretch linen line could really put the hurt on a fish, with rods to match.  Reels included the two speed Fin Nor, which had been around since 1933.   As for angling technique and boat handling, guys like Glassell, Lerner and Farrington caught literally hundreds of really big fish, swordfish, marlin and giant tuna- I've never read anything Glassell wrote but I've read Farrington and found it amazing that so much of what he had to say about not only fighting a fish but general angling technique still holds true after over 50 years.  They weren't just heavy tackle experts, Farrington recommended that white marlin should ideally be fished with down to six thread (20# class).  He at least did go for over 3 hours on at least two fish, a grander class black (fought for the last couple of hours with a reel with a busted anti-reverse) and a foul hooked swordfish, and I wonder whether any of the fish Glassell lost took him over three hours.  Boat handling, well, in places like Chile and Peru, it might have been iffy at first, but the same anglers fished in the eastern Atlantic where skippers like Gifford had figured out how to boat bluefin tuna in the Bahamas in fast time with aggressive boat handling and heavy drag as early as the 1940s.  There were a lot of fish to practice on in those days, so many fish that the numbers they speak of seem almost incredible to today's reader, it's not at all surprising that top anglers and skippers got real good at fighting them.

cheers- dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2003 at 8:38am
johnangus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dustin, Glassell apparantly lost a Chilean broadbill after four and three quarter hours, supposedly his longest fight.

Page  <12