Wellington Yakkers

Page  123 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wellington Yakkers
    Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 3:44pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Everyone

Is there a kayak fishing club in Wellington at all or is it just a loose community and every one just gets together on a casual basis to go fishing when they can?

I have heard that the canoe and kayak yakity yak club is looking at forming a fishing section

any comments anyone

regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Welsh Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 9:15pm
Welsh Wizard View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there Erik

Your question is one that I have been wondering about also.

I am a recent convert from landbased to kayak fishing and I have been amazed at the improvements in my catch rate (both volume and quality) compared to what I was picking up surfcasting.

As a novice to this branch of the sport, I would welcome the opportunity to meet and fish with more experienced kayakers.  There must be more people than just me and Erik wetting a line from a piece of floating plastic !!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Markus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 8:15pm
Markus View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi Erik,

I have been thinking along the same lines - we should have a club formed in Wellington for a yak fishing club as I think there would be plenty of interest and would be a cool way of meeting like-mined people.

I'm not sure whether the canoe & kayak yakkity yak club would be the answer as they are not independent, and their focus is more in touring rather than fishing. That's only my opinion anyway.

I reckon the Wellys should get together for a chat and progress the matter further  - over a BBQ & a few beers maybe!

Regards, Mark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 8:51pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good idea Welly guys... Thumbs%20Up

Hurry up and get a club together so that you can put up a team to contest the Club Team Trophy prize at the Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic up here in the "Naki" on the 21st & 22nd April 2007.

New Zealands first kayak-only open fishing contest! Clap Clap

PM Naki man or email [email protected] if you want to get in early on an Entry Form and copy of the Rules & Regs. The actual contest website will be online soon with all the relevant details and information.

DogFish

I only fish on days ending with a "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2007 at 12:29pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

this sounds like a goer.

anyone interested in getting a team together to go a win a comp????
only 7 weeks to get it organised

transportation
accomodation
sustenance
refreshments

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2007 at 8:53pm
mrcar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Guys -- put me in as part of ya club idea and I am sure Sooshee would be party to the idea as well plus others I seen lurking here on the board.
Nut out a time and place for a BBQ or what ever and we will be their..

Weather wise this coming Sunday may be the cats pajama's for a fishing meet as well as I here it could be just a light breeze around that day.

PM  ed Naki man today (as we only now check emails etc on Friday's Sat etc) to send us some entry forms for the comp.
I can take up a max of three others including the yaks and gear on my car and yak trailer with camping cookers and maybe small chillar.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2007 at 12:11am
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did someone say BBQ? Sounds like a good idea! Where? When?

Plimmerton this Sunday afternoon for a fish anyone?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Welsh Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2007 at 3:49pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,

I am planning to go out on Sunday afternoon (if I can get time off from the Fishing Permission Officer (the wife!!) into Pukeurua Bay chasing snapper & gurnard. 

Went out there over the sand about a month ago and caught 5 snapper, 3 gurnard, several kahawai and loads of spotty sharks.

Tried fishing the reefy areas 2 weeks ago and caught loads of tiny reef fish and blue cod, but I did manage a 47cm blue cod on a softbait (yum).

If anyone sees a blue/white ocean river yak bobbing about on Sunday, feel free to paddle over and say hi !

Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2007 at 10:26pm
mrcar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thinking Plimmerton tomorrow at 11.00 out on water as high tide is expected about then.... and maybe bite time at 1.15 pm if it follows that around 1.30 am is official M bite time.

Welcome to the forum Welsh Wizard - may see you out eh! and others to..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2007 at 11:12pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mrcar mrcar wrote:

Thinking Plimmerton tomorrow at 11.00 .

May see you there then Big%20smile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Welsh Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2007 at 7:22pm
Bronze
Bronze

Did anyone have any joy on their weekend forays?

I only managed a few hours in the afternoon/evening on Sunday out of Pukerua Bay.

Spiny dogs in plague proportions - with every hooked fish, I could see another two following it up to the surface.  There must have been hundreds of them down there.  Tried a few different spots on the sand but just could not avoid them.

Also had 3 big congers and a few small blueys and other assorted small stuff.

Do you guys often get pestered by dogfish along this stretch of coast?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2007 at 8:34pm
tawa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hello people, I  live in wgtn & are  keen to catch up for a fish sometime. Hv met a few yaks off Scorching Bay/Seatoun but always keen out try out new spots & find where they are hiding.cheers Tawa

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2007 at 8:53pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Welsh Wizard Welsh Wizard wrote:

Did anyone have any joy on their weekend forays?

I only managed a few hours in the afternoon/evening on Sunday out of Pukerua Bay.

Spiny dogs in plague proportions - with every hooked fish, I could see another two following it up to the surface.  There must have been hundreds of them down there.  Tried a few different spots on the sand but just could not avoid them.

Also had 3 big congers and a few small blueys and other assorted small stuff.

Do you guys often get pestered by dogfish along this stretch of coast?

Yep, check out the Wellington Report thread.  There were no spiny dogs where I was fishing in Plimmerton. What baits were you using?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Welsh Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2007 at 8:11am
Bronze
Bronze

I was using pillies & squid with a kina/shellfish burley.  Even managed to catch a dog on a nuclear chicken softbait !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2007 at 9:17pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi guys

looks like i drew the short straw and had to work on the weekend. looks like it will be more of the same for a while as well. Oh well some one has to do it i suppose.
been reading up on these sps
and got a few bits and pieces through the week to see how they go (once i get some time off that is)

where in welly are you all???

regards   Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2007 at 1:07pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All
 information with regards to forming a club for the wellington Kayakers.

I have had a PM from Naki Man explaining how they came about. and is willing to forward club rules etc if required

I have also emailed the NZACA for details on clubs and or rules requirements Etc for setting up.
so will hear back in due course

with regards to getting together and seeing where people are at maybe one night after work in welly if you want. have to be at the end of a week as i am busy mon,tues nights

I have the forms for the taranaki comp as well so if we can get a team or two to go up that would be cool

Regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2007 at 1:40pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Guys,
I'm another welly yakker. Do most of my yak fishing/spearfishing/divign off Welly South Coast and am always keen on missions. Please let me know if a club is formed as I could be a starter. Have been catching quite a bit of blue cod, gurnard and tera's lately but alas no snapper. Any tips or spots would be appreciated. I fish Breaker Bay quite a bit.
Cheers
Davo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2007 at 8:09pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hiya Davo, have you fished Barett's reef before? I've seen it on a map and recall it being about 1km out from Breaker Bay. May be a possible groper spot perhaps???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2007 at 4:00pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Sooshee. Yes I have fished there and all round there quite a bit (it's straight in front of my house). Never heard of any groper there. Plenty of other fish though. Can be fun with the ferrys going past real close!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2007 at 7:23pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All

have been in touch with the wellington surfcasting and angling club and they are interested in getting a kayak section going. they havent yet as they dont have the numbers (only 2 yak fishers)

I will let you all know if we go any further

regards Erik
Page  123 380>