Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 338339340341342 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Danfili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 12:24am
Danfili View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great catch up last night at the Maniyaks Yak Attack at Puk Bay, It was great to catch up with old Kayak mates and meet new ones.
It's a great thing for the Yak fishing community may it continue and grow. My main goal for the night was to land a legal Kingfish as I am yet to do so and going by other fishing and spearfishing reports Kingfish are here in numbers.
Paddled until I came across some good sign and started Jigging , after about 5 drops I started getting solid touches and finally hooked up and it was on, massive 1st run and I was getting dragged all over the place ( after about 10 minutes we all realised it wasn't a king but I wanted some braid back).
After an hour of fighting and getting the leader to the side of the yak I ended up cutting my line as it turned out to be a monster of a Thresher (so stoked with the rod and reel)
Paddled back to a work up and Andrew and Erik hooked up straight away Rats for Erik ,  Andrew hooked up to a solid fish but a bad knot let him down Disapprove LOL .
Quickly attached a leader and Jig with a HTFU knot and got smashed on the 2nd drop , was a decent fight but it had nothing on the Thresher. Stoked to finally land my first legal King .

Photo taken by the Maniyaks
A big ups to Erik and Andrew for putting a pause on their fishing and following me around on that Thresher I have some Kingfish Vaccum sealed for you boys.

Also a big Chur to Bam and Shane and all of those that turned up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blazer60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 9:46am
Blazer60 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ripper mate, hopefully will make the next one.
Regards,
Blazer60
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 10:44am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

was going to ask how that King tasted Dan. Big smile pretty much went nearly 2 days without seeing the family after that night at Puk  lol  work -- fishing sleep work  all with no family being around. they are happy though as we have some smoked fish which i did last night. finaly got smoking fish sorted. had to keep the stick handy as my son was trying to scoff it all as soon as it came out and wanted to take it all to work today.
hope to have some more tonight as he and his friend are going out in the harbor.

and as mentioned by everyone was good to meet up with fellow yak fishers. been a while since i got out and a good shakedown cruise to test paddle fitness and my setup again. which i need to tweak a bit more. 

does anyone know where i could get lowrance FF plugs from? mine has finaly done its dash after 6 years on the yak

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote James82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:36pm
James82 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice morning on the water at puk bay for a single panny and then it was all quiet, just before heading in big school of kings swam past just under the yak a couple of times, very cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 4:02pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cost of losing a jig to thresher $25
cost of seeing Dans face with his first legal kingfish...... priceless
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 5:33pm
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice Kingie... what was the weight?Clap

I'll might try tmrw morning before heading to work

TL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote N 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 6:42am
N 10 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

heading out to Puk tonight. probably hit the water about 6pm.

Might see some of you out there.
Fish Hard or Fish OFF!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:45am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

See ya there N 10. I leave the city at 5 and past experience says ill arrive at about 6pm also. Few of us coming out I think.

Found these weird worms swimming past me in the harbour last night, grabbed 3 with my hands to see what they were:

"This species of proboscis or ribbon worm can grow to 2 metres (6 ft 7 in) in length, and lives in marine environments down to 3,590 metres (11,780 ft). This scavenger and predator is widely distributed in southern oceans."

" When the ribbon worm detects prey, muscles in the sheath around the proboscis contract, causing it to turn inside out and shooting it out of the worm's body at high speed. For some, the proboscis is coated in a sticky, toxic secretion that ensnares prey. For others, there is a sharp barb at the tip of proboscis known as the stylet, which punctures the victim while injecting toxins and digestive secretions. Either way, prey is immobilised, and is then either swallowed whole, or the insides are partially digested before being sucked out by the worm. "

Here's a pic of what I caught. That skinny bit started coming out after I took it out of the bag for the photo, and it was STICKY as, literally like glue I couldnt even get it bag in the bag easily as kept sticking to the side:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bobbafet02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 11:39am
bobbafet02 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the kayak fishing game and recently purchased an Oceanus 3 metre fishing kayak which seems to go pretty well. Have fished a couple of times in Wellington harbour off Oriental Parade with a few kahawai etc caught.  Anyone got any good tips/ spots to try in the harbour or further abroad? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 12:33pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bobbafet02 bobbafet02 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the kayak fishing game and recently purchased an Oceanus 3 metre fishing kayak which seems to go pretty well. Have fished a couple of times in Wellington harbour off Oriental Parade with a few kahawai etc caught.  Anyone got any good tips/ spots to try in the harbour or further abroad? 

Welcome to kayak fishing!

Just try different spots and you will find the fish. Evans bay has been good lately, for surfcasters especially, so would be worth a shot (was going there last night but wind decided elsewhere). Between Scorching bay and seatoun can be good too for tarakihi (and anything else really), or south coast tarakina for Blue Cod (mostly in my experience but again, anything else could be there and often teri's). I have had good days in most different areas of the harbour, the ones above as well as eastbourne side, I think often its just the right place on the right day.

I would recommend buddying up with someone before going out the west coast if you are new to the game. Currents can get strong and conditions can get nasty fast. Plenty of people here would be happy for you to tag along i'm sure (myself included). There is also a facebook group if you aren't already on it with even more people who you may be able to arrange an outting with.

I was thinking about plimmerton tonight but with the SE wind I think I will go to pukerua so if you can make it, feel free to tag along as should be at least 4-5 of us meeting up around 6ish. Fishing has been a bit slow there lately though..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 2:17pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

well done to all the yaks getting legal kings at the moment - great fun and something I'm yet to achieve on a yak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote N 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 4:00pm
N 10 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

awesome, will be great to meet some of you dudes.

I'll be in the Purple/Aqua Escapee.
Fish Hard or Fish OFF!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Danfili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 5:56pm
Danfili View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by rudini33 rudini33 wrote:

Nice Kingie... what was the weight?Clap

16kg bro

Went out again this morning heaps of sign but it was still a bit of a slow one , when down to Wairaka Point and did some jigging got heaps of Kahawai a couple of Rats and got another king a couple of cm short from going in the rear well. came home with carrots and kahawai so I'm happy as larry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 1:16am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cool!!!!
I was today morning(Friday) also there but with the wind I didn't want to go to far out so stayed at 10m more to the right...another guy in orange yak was not far from me..but didn't look like that he was lucky...

so u must been the one who was going closer to the boats at the left side and later when I had to go u went to the right Star

I had no Snapper contact ,so I played a bit with Sofbait...when I pulled the lure up just before I wanted to give up  ,a legal Kingie hit it and was fighting very hard....he was  just a bit more than legal ...but joined me on the way home ;)
 After that I had some more contacts on a speedjig and a 60cm Kingie ...which had the assist hook in the mouth and while he was fighting another Kingie wanted to steal his catch and got hooked on the treble hook which was on the end of the jig...this one was bigger and got lost as the hook bended..

Very exciting fishing for Kingie at the moment...and all that just before work... luv it!Big smile

TL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 1:24am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Xtreams...

very interesting ur worm...but a kind of creepy ,ay ;)

Looks simular to a worm we have in Germany in the North Sea... Wattwurm
one of the best baits over there

Good luck for the weekend to everyone!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote N 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 7:55am
N 10 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey guys nice to meet some of you last night.

Fishing was a bit poor and the wind was Gnarley but was still god to get out there.

Looking forward to next time
Fish Hard or Fish OFF!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hunt&gather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 8:33am
hunt&gather View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I just got in from Raumati. Only had an hour on the water in 10m but brought home gurnard and KY for dinner. Plagued by rat kings... First world problems. First paddle in ages and was nice to get out on the yak rather than the boat for a change.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 10:51am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by John_B John_B wrote:

Originally posted by Metal Float Metal Float wrote:

sounds like you have it sussed rudini33, well done. Some lovely snaps there Danfili - maybe the yaks were doing as well as the boats yesterday or even better

undoubtedly the case. One of the big advantages of the yak is the inclination to stay out later with easier launching/retrieval and much less cleanup required.

Yep - love the wash-down for a yak John. Maybe yaks also do quite well because they fish their feet rather than heading for the horizon? I have to say that the yak lift back onto the roof rack can be an effort for a desk warrior like myself though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 8:51pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Probably going to hit pukerua bay tomorrow with my son. Anyone else going out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bobbafet02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 2:35pm
bobbafet02 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by xtreamz xtreamz wrote:

Originally posted by bobbafet02 bobbafet02 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Welcome to kayak fishing!

Just try different spots and you will find the fish. Evans bay has been good lately, for surfcasters especially, so would be worth a shot (was going there last night but wind decided elsewhere). Between Scorching bay and seatoun can be good too for tarakihi (and anything else really), or south coast tarakina for Blue Cod (mostly in my experience but again, anything else could be there and often teri's). I have had good days in most different areas of the harbour, the ones above as well as eastbourne side, I think often its just the right place on the right day.

I would recommend buddying up with someone before going out the west coast if you are new to the game. Currents can get strong and conditions can get nasty fast. Plenty of people here would be happy for you to tag along i'm sure (myself included). There is also a facebook group if you aren't already on it with even more people who you may be able to arrange an outting with.

I was thinking about plimmerton tonight but with the SE wind I think I will go to pukerua so if you can make it, feel free to tag along as should be at least 4-5 of us meeting up around 6ish. Fishing has been a bit slow there lately though..

Thanks for this Xtreamz, really good advice. I'll probably have a few more outings in the harbour over the next few weeks but will definitely keep an eye on your trips to PB etc as I'd be keen to try other spots.

Last question :) 
Do most yakkers here use a grapple anchor or sea anchor (the fabric parachute ones)?

Thanks again for the help and look forward to seeing you on the water!
Page  <1 338339340341342 380>