Best hooks for Macskippy lures

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best hooks for Macskippy lures
    Posted: 08 Sep 2006 at 9:12pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm getting ready to rig up several 4"  MacSkippy lures and have never settled on the best hook. My thoughs are, as big a hook as possible that won't affect the action.
I have some Gamakatsu SL8s that look the biz, especially with some zinc tape on the shaft. Have used  some SWF stainless jobbies but, although they feel sharp and don't rust, I seem to drop a lot.
What do you guys use?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2006 at 10:52pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Try the Gammie O'shaughnessy hook Roy.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bitie2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2006 at 1:25pm
bitie2000 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I always try and use a large gauge hook in my skippy lures. These are better holding as the thinner gauge hooks tend to be more like a knife and cut there way out, The fat hooks hold so much better!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dead Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2006 at 4:16pm
Dead Ant View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Roy,
   I picked up some barbless stainless jobbies last year from Gourocks.  Run well and make dehooking them real easy.
   Cheers
        DA
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2006 at 7:58am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Roy
I use small double hooks like the one commerical guy's use for tuna trolling. I find they hold much better than single hooks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2006 at 9:02am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I was going to rig my McSkippys with those double hooks but have deceided to try those light guage hooks that Odin at fish crazy is importing as they are light weight and I hope they wont restrict the lures movement too much.
They are also reasonably large and just look right for the job to me. Time will tell if they pull as bitee2000 sugestsConfused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bitie2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2006 at 11:56am
bitie2000 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What i forgot to say is...
If you are catching skippy's for bait for bottom fishing then double hooks are the go. You can use heavier line weight and just crank them in no worries.
If you want them for livebaits then single's do less damage and your bait will survive longer. Doubles just do too much damage. The best hooks i have found are the gami and owner livebait hooks they have a nice short shank and good open gape. The short shank is good as there is less movement in the fishes mouth compared to one with a long shank.

As for hook size effecting the action of the lure i wouldn't worry too much about that with skippy's. Jeez they bite the swivels running through the water and they don't have alot of action to them.

Most hooks will catch fish but the main reason you pull hooks is more on the tackle you are using.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2006 at 8:25pm
Ski View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i ran single hooks the first season i tried macskippies then changed to doubles(like a treble hook but just 2)the skippies do quite often drop off with the single quite soft jaws.they tend to be fistey little buggers at the back of the boattricky to gaff and netting is not really much of an option specially if the boat is still moving forward.having a double hook allows you to just haulem out of the drink but as mentioned above they can make a bit of a mess of the mouth if livbaiting. but whats wrong with a bit of a blood trail!!!the double doesnt seem to effect they way they swim either
yamaha reliability
senator stability
shimano superiority
the rest is up to the fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2006 at 7:37am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have the doubles as well. Good solid hook ups
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2006 at 7:45pm
odin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Roy
Try some of our 'KiwiBlue' 9/0 Livebait alloy hooks. They are O'Shaunessy design made from an alloy that is lightweight, hard, and almost impossible to bend. We are the only ones using this space age alloy for the production of hooks. Because of their light weight they will not affect the action of your lure as either a single or double rig. You will need a diamond file to sharpen them but they are plenty sharp from the packet. They have taken 2 Marlin that I know about so no worries there.
WS Lawries have stocks at present & I think that Hunts Sports also have stock.
Drop me a PM with your address &  will chuck a pack of samples in the post for you.
cheers
odin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 7:20am
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good old double hooks do the job well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 5:43pm
odin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Your samples are in the post Roy. Look forward to hearing how you go with them.
Cheers
odin