North Shore Day Fishing Spots

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xcess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Shore Day Fishing Spots
    Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 6:12pm
Xcess View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi Guys

I am wanting to know some good Lowtide spots around the North Shore. Places with good drop off's as place's ive been going to are just too shallow i am wanting to go for a fish in the daytime tommorow so any help is much appreciated. I am after some KY or Snaps

Thanks

Xcess
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 6:42pm
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome to the forums Xcess as it's a great placeThumbs Up. Where have you been fishing?

I dont there is such a thing as to shallow, unless you can hop out and touch the bottom, i know of two guy's whom pulled 3 snap's over 15lb . . . from 3m,possibly less, on saturday. If you think your to shallow  ..  get a bit deeper then.
There are sooooo many spots around the North Shore it's just not funny.

The fish are in slow mode at the moment but fisho's are still havin the odd bit of luck. . . mmm luck??? maybe not ..  they've put in the time and effort to find out where and when, flooding or ebbing . ..  all the neccessary factors that contribute to maximising the chances of takin fish home. and that's my best advice to you . .  i'm  no expert but that's what i've done.

Are you LB or in a boat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 7:20pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well m8 all i can suggest is getting out and walking around all the differant ledges and beaches thats how found most of my spots and looking round   also if you do a search thru this website you should be able to pick up some spots as keenas said tho at the moment its a bit hard out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xcess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 9:06pm
Xcess View Drop Down
New User
New User

i fished off castor bay shore this morning we saw a few piper but noth much as we are talking 1 maybe 2 meters of water.. I am after some nice size ledges one the shore or maybe a bit further noth. Easy to get to places. Thanks for the posts so far. im not after anything big i just have a 8ft Daiwa Beef Stick and a Bond IX7000.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 9:25pm
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

have a gander in the 'Walk about' thread as it for LB'ers and if you use the search function or just go through the 'old' threads and post's you will come across the info your after. There a plenty of good spot's on the HBC.
When are you fishing ? . .  change of light or during the day?

If your seeing piper you need to be catching them for bait, either livies or 'cut' baits ..  they the shizzl. Castor Bay is a good start and you would possibly do well to keep trying there as like i said before, to get know ya spots one must know ya spotsThumbs Up.

Keep at it as the fishin will be on the up fron now on . .. spring is in the air!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 8:06am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Hey Xcess welcome to the forum mate

Where did you go at castor bay? did you fish off the man-made breakwater there at hightide? Better spot for dusk that one - had soem good pannies and KY from there over the years.

In terms of low tide spots check out the following...

Castor to campbells bay - between theses bays there is a massive reef system best fished over the bottom half of the tide. If you head south from campbells bay you can walk out on the rocks there and you'll see alot of kelpy reefs with the odd clear sandy patch. cast unweighted baits into the guts and can get some good snapper there. fishing can be slow at this time of year but they are there.

Army bay up whangaparoa - again head out over the bottom half of the tide. This is the right time of the year for this spot and the one above.

Hadfields - at low tide (from 2 hours b4) you can walk out to the northern most point, once around this corner there is a reasonable ledge that drops off into deeper water.

Hope that helps ya mate, on yeah dont forget ya burley!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 8:27am
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

oi . . . gezza . . .  dont give away my spots!Wink

ave ya got a job yet mate?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 8:39am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

berley up big time xcess, wherever you happen to go. and i mean big time. at least a 3kg bomb, but a 5kg would be better, and shake it up regularly to keep the flow going. as soon as it runs out then chuck the next bugger in.

berley is gooooooood  Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 8:47am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by KeenAs KeenAs wrote:

ahh i didnt even start on yours mate haha, i could type on for a fair while too as been doing that LB thing around the shore since I was a kid.

Job smob, this holiday thing is fun. Having said that had a few interviews today but yet to find the role that really lights my fire.

Too bad there aint no positions going for deckhands on womens nude fishing charters in the medditerranean haha
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 8:54am
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Originally posted by KeenAs KeenAs wrote:

Too bad there aint no positions going for deckhands on womens nude fishing charters in the medditerranean haha

That sound like a bloody good biso oppotunity to me!! let me know when you have it up and running and i'll shoot over and be your deckieThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 9:43am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Army Bay would be my choice too Xcess. You can get to the outer rocks at low tide or beforehand if you don't mind a small wade. Variety of sealife around here - rays, kahawai, snapper, piper and other baitfish.

I would try Campbells Bay too. As JK says, there is an extensive reef system and it is very weedy. The water has fairly good depth off the rocks at the southern end.

Further north, I would try the area south of Waiwera, and maybe give Pudding Island at Mahurangi a go too.

What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uffy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 11:46am
Uffy1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Xcess,

One thing I am sure all would agree on is that these sort of spots would be best fished in either the evening or very early morning. Daytime can be very unfruitful in these areas.

Uffy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote levinlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 12:52pm
levinlarge View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

Further north, I would try the area south of Waiwera, and maybe give Pudding Island at Mahurangi a go too. 

They tried the pudding on sunday with no success, in a months time it will become fruitful as well as a quick paddle to Saddle island in search for kings Big smile

I reckon all the bays in the evening have seem to prosper for me, whether it the odd snapper or loads of KY
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xcess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 3:26pm
Xcess View Drop Down
New User
New User

I went down to Browns bay point in the End just for an hour.. I liked it down there. Did not chuck any burley out just cut a few Ancovies and Pily's up. Cause a good sized KY down there but that was about it.. Man i hate seagulls. I went at 9am so a couple of hours after high. It would have been better with burley. But might give it ago in the early hours of sat or sunday with the boys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 3:30pm
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Xcess, JK is on to it for easy access, close to home with CBay to Castor Bay. Walk in from Castor and fish the drop offs and gutters, around from Cambells and do the same, seen fish to 15 lb taken out of there. Murrays Bay Wharf on morning light change top of the tide sees KYs occassional snap, kings, and JDs. plenty of piper in closer to land for fresh baits. Summer evenings crap, too many kids jumping off the wharf.

Black Rocks worth a look on change of light and easy to get to. Luck, F.T.
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 7:26pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Oh black rocks of course. Forgot about there. Use to fish there alot as a kid but more high tide than low. Definite worthy of a shot tho.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 7:56pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and then for other spots read the after work soft plastics around the bays (captain morgan briney bar) but as with all these areas could be a little hard at the moment but gives you a chance to have a look and come back in a month or two and when checking places always pays to do a low tide and high tide check if somewhere new   campbells bay for instance cant get out to the reef till about 2 1/2 hours after high