Horizontal Paravane

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horizontal Paravane
    Posted: 14 Aug 2006 at 1:28pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This diagram comes from Steve Coopers book "Shark fishing from Shore" about 1980's I think it is.

Operates on the same principle as the standard paravane, except that it runs out horizontally, Ideal for taking big baits out when there is a strong long-shore current.

Wind has no detrimental effect.

The paravane is attached to the top link of your mainline swivel.

I have tried a smaller version (about 12"x 6") and it works reasonably well, and once tuned for the conditions should get a fair distance offshore before feathering out.

Rather than the masonite, I used an offcut of perspex sheet as I was running a lighter rig at the time, but will be trying the full Monty this summer for my bitey sessions up North.

Cheers

HLD

The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!