kaipara harbour

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -diesel- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kaipara harbour
    Posted: 17 May 2003 at 11:10pm
-diesel- View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Me and some mates are going for a trip on the Kaipara harbour in a couple of weeks.  I haven't been there for about twenty years, can't remember much. Heard it's pretty damn rough when it wants to be. Anyone been out there lately?

Cheers, Diesel.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1000PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2003 at 12:52am
1000PA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I presume you're going from Hellinsville, Parakai or Shelly Beach wharf?

On the usual launches its about 3-4hrs steaming out to the graveyard. Expect some big snapper, shark, eagle rays and kahawai. Make sure you've got about a minimum of 1kg, yes 1kg of lead for the bottom. It may only be 21m deep but there's a heck of a rip at the entrance.

You'll be amazed at the fishing there and the day will be a treasured memory forever. The sights are great and the cruise enjoyable. Its only lumpy for the last 45min or so and then again when the tide changes to go out.

Ross

Fishing-4-all-NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2003 at 2:43pm
pland View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Diesel

Article in the latest NZ Fishing World covers most of the issues, but as Ross has said make sure you have lots of lead - 16-20oz sinkers at least.

If all the lines are drifting out the back and the Kahawai hit , mates can quickly become enemies. 

Pland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2003 at 4:31pm
Cbmack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi diesel and all

I fish The Kaipara a lot my nearest waterway. Like they all say if your going to the Graveyard you need lots of weight. I fished there many a time on a range of different boats, Most I know use heavy line and up to 1lb sinkers.

The best fishing I ever saw was done with a hand line about [150lb] 2 traces and a block of lead about 6lb. He would chuck it over then abuse every one on the boat, Go back and pull in 2 good fish. If anyone went out on a charter with Swampy They would know what I Mean. I don�t take my boat to the graveyard [not yet] but find a few good spots around for a feed. Hope fully out there tomorrow.

cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2003 at 5:35pm
Dio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Diesel 

I would recomend if going to the Kaipara Graveyard to go with a group of boats as we do.The graveyard is a unforgiving place with strong currents,it can be very good for snapper fishing but some times it s plauged by sharks. We launch our boats from the south head lagoon it is a 30 minute run from there to the graveyard. If yor keen on a trip there throw us a line.

Dio

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2003 at 9:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yep. I fished there a bit about 10 years ago. You can bet that you still need a selection of 16 to 24 oz sinkers if fishing the graveyard. Use decent sinkers not a whole loe of odd shaped weights that will spin around. Keep your rir simple and dont dick around with light gear. Braid could be worth a shot if you're rich. A decent sturdy reel and rod would be the way to go. You dont want too many on the boat and you do need to fish with guys that know what they are doing and can keep in touch with their gear and the bottom.

Dont bother with burley. Great place for Kahawai Trevs and Gurnard at this time of the year.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2003 at 9:27pm
HBC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Still on the Kaipara Harbour  (???)

Going upto Whakapirau...(not sure if it's part of the Kaipara Harbour) for the Queen B'Day weekend.  Any idea's on what the fishing's like ??  Have access to a 15hp ...dingy . Any advice will be gladly accepted..

Cheers

Salty

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2003 at 4:24pm
Cbmack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Salty.

Whakapirau is part of the Kaipara, I launch from there, try going down to the funnel on a good day,  Or try around the fist point going down river their is a concret slab on the left bank [remains of a building just above high tide].  Its gets to about 60ft deep in very close need about 4 or 5 oz sinkers depending on the tide

Might see you. Ill be on the Red Mac.

cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2003 at 4:40pm
HBC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for that Cbmack,

Hope the weather god's are kind.

Will keep a look out for you.

thanks

Salty

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -diesel- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2003 at 6:30pm
-diesel- View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks everyone for your comments.

We're going out on the "Lady Bess" which is the boat in the article that "pland" mentioned earlier. Sounds like it'll be a good experience. I'd better start sorting out a decent mould for the jumbo sinkers we're going to need.

I'll tell you all how it went when we come back (going June 1st).

Cheers, diesel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2003 at 7:30pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Diesel, the other good thing out there is that the buggers will still eat ya bait from 20 years ago . Not very fussy in these parts. SQUID.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1000PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2003 at 8:25pm
1000PA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

-diesel- If you haven't time for a mold for sinkers them may I make a suggestion.

Cut a few lengths of say 25+mm concrete reinforcing steel rod about 250mm long. That should weigh around 100oz or so. Make them from 40mm+ steel and you'll be about the right weight for the graveyard. Just a quick thought. If lost or taken with a shark hook-up then theres no great loss as they will be cheap and they'll rust away eventually.

Ross

Fishing-4-all-NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -diesel- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2003 at 8:21pm
-diesel- View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well, we went out on the "Lady Bess" on Sunday.  Our first stop was good, we were all getting bites and a few fish came aboard,  a promising start to the day.  After a few moves and a lot of waiting our day drew to an end with that first spot providing the most action. As a bunch of novice Kaipara fisho's a bit of input from the skipper would have been appreciated (he spent the day up they front of the boat and caught better fish than anyone else!)or maybe if there was a deckhand on the boat we may have been given a few hints on how to increase our chances. The day ended with a total of 16 fish being taken home by our group of 12. The skipper said we came at the wrong time of year (could have warned us). The general feedback from the group was mixed, a few having a great time, a couple who had fished the Kaipara enjoyed the day but were unimpressed by the spots saying that  we could have done better, the rest either didn't catch fish or caught 1 or 2 and said it wasn't what they expected. As for me, I love fishing no matter what, I think things could have been better but  at least I got to experience the mighty Kaipara harbour....

Diesel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2003 at 11:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Sounds like a classic case of ...BAD SKIPPER!! Advice for his clients is what he should be doing... you are paying for his time. I dont begrudge a skipper having a fish, but they shouldnt fish at the expense of those paying his wages.

It is a harbour that really needs the right approach ..no messing around with light gear or messing around with presentation... big heavy stuff over the side.... I went out regularly on the harbour ..I think i said that earlier ...I never had a day as slow as that obviously was. Sometimes the skippers dont like to travel too far and spend too much on gas.  Could have been other factors though ... everyone has a  bad day at some stage ... but when it is like that you expect the skipper to work his hardest. Look up the other charters out there and see if you can find a skipper called Reg Thirkettle. I think he still skippers a boat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1000PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2003 at 8:35am
1000PA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's a poity the Hunetai has moved from the Kaipara to the Waitemata. It was the best boat by far, the crew help out and they ensure you have a wicked day.

I'm very glad that you like the Kaipara, it sounds like you had a bad day, with a bad skipper. A few words to friends will make all the difference when they go booking their trips!

Come back to the Kaipara, even if you join us with our boats to know where to go, with the safety of a group.

Ross

Fishing-4-all-NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2003 at 12:27pm
Cbmack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Diesel and all

Sorry to hear your report about the Lady Bess I have been out on her quite a bit in the past I even was the deck hand at the odd time. Over the past years the fishing went from tops { all landing good fish 5/6lbers } to the last trip out we had to move around and only  brought back a feed each, The bit about the skipper is true, never been with him Swampy was skipper then and he went out of his way to get fish for everyone. He fished all the time just left his hand line in helped and abused [in fun] everyone then would pull up his fish and start over again. He would only take 1 home the rest he gave to anyone that hadent done so good.

cheers