Telescopic Fishing Rod

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Telescopic Fishing Rod
    Posted: 27 May 2006 at 4:17pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Next febuary I am planning to spend several weeks in fiordland fishing isolated rivers for sea run trout, and a bit of fishing from the shore of the fiords. Because i am tramping in, weight and bulk must be kept low.

Any advice/experiences on telescopic rods would be great because I have never used them before. Also on reels, line to bring.   

I am thinking of taking two rods in, a 6 feet long spinning rod. Maybe something like this from Okuma or this from dawia

and something slightly more substantail for the salt water fishing, maybe something like this from Kilwell

Any advice/suggestions on what to take would be great. Would like to spend less then $300.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2006 at 4:10pm
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Militaris,

I tried a few telescopic rods several years ago and found they were very poor, they may be better nowadays with better technology but really not sure. I went for compact 4 piece rod sfrom both Shimano and Daiwa I still have my Daiwa heartland rod and it is a geat performer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2006 at 9:26pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would have to agree, that most of the telescopic rods I look at on trademe or in the local stores are poor quality. Shimano have a few nice looking ones in europe, but postage almost doubles the cost.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jontyjfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 9:48am
jontyjfoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I bought a Shimano ISO(rock) fishing rod in japan NZD90.00 worth. Great quality - design to catch small herrings under a float. Extends out to 14 1/2 feet long! I use it to catch snapper off the rocks - best fish to date was 5 pounds but it is very light and very sporting!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 10:15am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got a telescopic surfcaster which has been relegated to the never to be used again pile somewhere in the deepest, darkest reaches of the shed or maybe even the garden.

To allow for the sections to slide into each other they are very thin in diameter and the main problem I had was with the guides constantly going out of alignment when extended.

For ease of transport, I'd go for a 3 or even 4 piece rod instead.

Good luck!
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 10:26am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

I've got a four piece from Kilwell - its only in the lightweight category 2 - 4 kg. But I've had it for many years, its been totally reliable, and the action is not too bad. It does have slight hard spots in the joins.

Si's point about the giudes going out of alignment can be an issue with the rod, but the Kilwell is a fibreglass-fibreglass male/female join and if I push them firmly together they are OK and the guides stay aligned with the occasional tweek.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:43pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One of the bug-bears I find with the available telescopic rods in NZ is that that the guides seem to be too evenly spaced out, which means that they cast horribly and the top section of the rod don't loaded properly when fighting a fish. Most also don't seem to come with guides that can be easily replaced as well.

However as jontyjfoo has alluded too, telescopic rods (both conventional and "reel-less" fishing pole types) have a big following in Japan. As some of these command astronomically high prices, I would expect them to be of better quality and performance. I've come across a telescopic fishing pole which costs $6000+!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JonnyBlaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 8:34am
JonnyBlaze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Shimano do some cheap ones here called Technium, and a better graphite one called the x plorer.  Its got a very slim profile for a tele rod.  I know a few guys using them for shallow water snapper fishing as well as trout.  Could be the go.

The ones in Japan are out of this world, 22ft tele rods.  Must help them making the fish look bigger! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote levinlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 10:05am
levinlarge View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Quote: Originally posted by JonnyBlaze on 31 May 2006

The ones in Japan are out of this world, 22ft tele rods.  Must help them making the fish look bigger! 

Billy Ho, fishing with the japanese dude, may not have been a telescopic bu that again was a 22fter, and managed to handle little kingis, so much leverage!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jontyjfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 1:29pm
jontyjfoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

As above my model Shimano is the Holiday XT ISO #22236.   It is 103 cm long  (4.45m when extended) and weights 205grams.  It is designed  to cast up to 2 oz.  85% carbon.  Blank diameter tip 1.5mm and base 20mm.