boat names

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat names
    Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 8:20am
empty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

whats the opinion is it bad luck to change a boats name.

inever liked the name of mine when i brought it and am thinking of changing it

what happened to the pissing man?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jack Sprat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 8:43am
Jack Sprat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah mate, I changed my boat's name. A boats name needs to fit the personality of the new owner as well as the personality of the boat.

My boat's old name was Doh boy..I didn't get that, and now it's called Shipmate..ooh aarh!, just like me, a wannabe pirate!

As for bad luck?, I hope not, I obey all of the rules of the sea, no bananas, never shoot an albatros and all of that.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 10:31am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

See Jacko the banana's have nothing to do with your bad luck (as per other thread). Very very bad luck to change a boat name.

Thats one thing I would never never do

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 10:34am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just cant change the name of my Boat (" Paradise") although I dont like it at all. My last boat was named "The Kitchen" as I always promised my wife I would get the kitchen before the boat... so I had it named before I picked it up. My next boat will be "Blind Cow" but only if it has not already got a name.
Jacko...learn from your post on "yellow" things and change the name back.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote inkjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2003 at 5:43am
inkjet View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I always thought it was only bad luck to change a boats name if it was a female name
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GrahamT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2003 at 9:26am
GrahamT View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've  changed  two baots  names.

One  when I bought it  was  Brown Eye

The  other  was  soixante neuf   ( froggy for 69)

No bad  luck befall me  ( it  would  have  from  swmbo) if  I had  kept  the names

Graham T

I prefer Parkinson to Alzheimer - I'd rather spill my beer than forget to drink it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BOATMAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2003 at 3:23pm
BOATMAD View Drop Down
New User
New User

changing your boats and having bad luck is alot of rot in my opinion,if your a person that beleives in that sort of thing then you'll never feel safe anywhere, especially out at sea.so change it to what you like after all its only 1-2mm of paint on the side of your boat,and while your out fishing next time takes some bananas and see if you stop catching fish bet you don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2003 at 5:08pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hey boatmad...welcom
next time your intermate with your wife try and call her by another name and see what happens or try eating bananas in the middle of it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2003 at 6:52pm
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jeeze Barry, sounds like fun,do you speak from experience??

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2003 at 10:30pm
Trenta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

One of my buddies asked his old man about the new tinny he bought, conversation went kinda like this:

Son: What are you going to call the boat?

Dad: I think I will call it the Lady Marge, after your mother

Son: Why is that?

Dad: Because then I know it will never go down on me!

Yah!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2003 at 12:50am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am sure if you perform some appropriate ceremony, like re-painting, re-christening the boat, shanging the name shouldbe fine. Me, I wouldn't but hey, Superheroes have always been super stitious!

Cheers, Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2003 at 7:07am
Spina View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Howdy Stu how it all going all good?,Do you know why bananas are supposed to be bad luck on a boat?.

Well in the old days before they had any sort of cooling on ships,all the fresh veges and fruit had to be stored for along time.

Now the humble banana when ripening lets of a gass that makes other fruit rippen very quickly,and it didnt seem to matter where on the boat the bananas were stored, All the other fruit ripened and went rotten very fast.

So thats how the humble old banana got such a bad reputation on board ships and long haul boats,

A suggestion, if you are buying a second hand boat get the previous owner to remove the name and maybe keep it for there new boat,or save it for a rainy day, then the new owner wont have a problem with what to do with the old name when he wants to give his shiny new mistress the name he has chosen for her. Cheers Spins.

if ya dont stir the burley bucket all ya get is lumps. 

Dont waste your time trying to give me a hard time being in politics teaches one very quickly how to turn a deaf eye and a blind ear!
wheres my glasses cant find my hearing aids without them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2003 at 2:03pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spina,

I did just that with my boat, the previous owner removed the name for his new boat so in effect I bought an un-named boat, no bad luck so far.

I went ape when a mate brought along some bananas, I turned to look at the trim angle of the motor and to my horror there he was scoffing his second banana with the skin of the first sat on the baitboard      ..........aaaaaaggghghhhh. We had one of the best fishing days ever ?? whats all that about then eh !

Cheers

AC

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 12:01pm
Snapatak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi there, My boat's name is HAKUNA MATATA. Which translates into, "Hello, how are you, welcome, have a nice day". This is Africaan's.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 12:38pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What does that mean in Maori Snapatak?
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2003 at 12:17pm
Snapatak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi kingfishsi, Good only knows, but I bet it's worth 6 figure's.