Using floats off the rocks

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using floats off the rocks
    Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 11:03am
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi guys

Does anybody use a float of some sort when fishing from the rocks? I was thinking of trying it to save some of my tackle aswell as keeping the bait out of the weed and making it easier for fish to find.

Kingfishi
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 11:39am
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Obviously balloons. But I assume your talking about lighter outfits. The deep running float rig is a goody for getting small live baits or dead baits suspended near the bottom. Effective too, as kings will often be found in that zone. I usually target JD's with that method. Also off the rocks I often fish 3 or 4 rods, and I will often put out a pilly 1 metre below the surface and set it in a holder to catch a kahawai, while I tend to other gear. Unfortunately I have found my livebaits often get hooked deep, so I'm going to start using circle hooks with that technique. I think overall you are best to strayline, and hold your rod, particularly for the snaps. This way you can 'feel' the bait when it hits the bottom, and by slowly retrieving the line you can usually avoid snags. The bait is kept active, often attracting attention, and you cover more ground.

Hope thats what you were looking for,

Cheers Mars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 12:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Mars

My usual method is to strayline. I'm using a Shimano Baitrunner spooled with 15kg for the spots I fish. I also have a Shimano BC2000 baitcaster that I'm using with 4.5kg. That's all I'll be taking with me this weekend. The TLD25 will be staying at home this time round. I've only had it in the water once so far.

Kingfishsi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 12:20pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you're after a king, I'd be packing the TLD25 first!
Good luck with the weekend.

Mars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 12:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, it was sad walking out of the house this morning, having to leave that rig behind. I'd love to have another one to leave over there. I hate having to take gear there and back on the ferry.

Kingfishsi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 1:29pm
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Kingfishi.... Soundz like you have a Great weekend planned.... All the Best mate. When it comes to using floats fishing off the rocks... I have had a lot of success..... one trip down to Tairua I was constantly getting snagged and loosing gear stray-lining.... so had a look around the rocks to see what I could use as a float..... found the top of an old polystyrene chilly bin, cut a piece off almost the size of a beer can, attached it to my surfcaster rig (set it about two meters above the bouncing bait) and wholla!!! Straight into them..... it was a very cool, practicle, cost effective, efficient thing to do as I came home that day with 12 Kawhai, 2 nice snapper.... and no bait... after fishing for about 1 1/2 hours. The thing with using that float is that I could tell as soon as something took a bite as the float would bob under the water and I was always in controll of where I was fishing......

I generally use a float when surfcasting over rough ground as it prevents you from getting snagged, and the bait drifts over a wide area... meaning that you cover more ground. You can set the float with the lenght trace that you want and therefore fish any depth you desire (within reason). Effective for Kawhai, snapper and Kingies...... or atleast that is what I have found. Generally anything can be used as a float from a piece of driftwood, poly styrene, any old little plastic container... the Berroca bottles which I keep my round sinkers in are also an ideal float.....

Good luck

Tomsta

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 2:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Tomsta

Those berroca bottles are great for puttin a bit of berley in aswell. You can use them as a sinker that way too. I've got one in my desk at work so I'll take that with me.

It's just started raining here, lucky fish don't mind getting wet, aye!

Kingfishsi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 5:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah I used to use little bottles held on by rubber bands, easy to alter the depth to clear weed etc. Piper are good fun to catch while waiting for the big one too. I used pencil floats for them. Best to keep the float as small as possible, often a fish will drop the bait if it feels too much resistance.... another good thing with bottles. you can partially fill them with water to make them less bouyant or for longer casts if need be.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grounded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 5:18pm
Grounded View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can make smaller floats from quills (plenty of seagull feathers lying around) and wine bottle corks. Strip the feathers from the quill and give it a coat or two of varnish. Cut your corks to size (makes your eyes water, eh) and drill a hole down the length. You can streamline the cork with a craft knife and a bit of sandpaper if you want to cut down the resistance.

Chris

It's a mystery to me
I was a Jerk On Line
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzkingfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2003 at 2:47pm
nzkingfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A good float for small livies can be a length of flax stalk.  pull your line into one end of the flax, and then into the other end.  When the line goes taught, the flax should pull out.

I always use baloons for live-bait, but you are welcome to use the above advice.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2003 at 2:55pm
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds interesting NZkingfisher. Have you had any luck with that method?

Kingfishsi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2003 at 3:20pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

yeah i like where your coming from to nzkingfisher be great for Squid and jack macs but i think any big livie would pull it down, but if used to keep your bait suspended above the weeds then it would be fine only thing would be can it handle being cast and not fly off......

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2003 at 3:24pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For small liveys, I always have with me a few of the smaller water bomb balloons. Small ballons cause less stress on a weak baitfish and have less surface area for an onshore breeze to work on.

Mars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2003 at 3:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Mars, that sounds like an excellent way to go. I've never thought of using them. Nothing more frustrating than your livebait being blown again inshore.

Kingfishsi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2003 at 4:04pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kingfishsi,
                   Yeah they work real well for macks, mullet and the like. As well as standard balloon rigs, I also incorporate it into a deep running float rig off the rocks. JDs and kings are suckers for a deep run livey, although you lose some control. The only problems with the smaller balloons is a thinner membrane which can pop on the rocks, or when you blow it up, or even just in the sun. But then you get that with standard balloons too. Still, its not as though it happens consistently to cause constant grief, so I'll continue to use them when suitable.

Mars

PS: Before blowing up your regular balloons, always try to take into account the size/species /condition of your livey, and also the prevailing sea conditions. Experience will tell you appropriate sizes. And when live baits are at a premium, you get real good at it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 10:05pm
Toad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My problem with casting floats is the stopper knot. The knot catches on the tip guide. I've put a bigger hard chrome tip guide on, and it helps a bit. The situation is: you're casting + you want your bait to sit a few metres deep, a fixed float cannot be used. So you use a float that slides up the line until it hits a stopper knot or small section of soft tubing that the line has been looped through. I like the tubing becos it's nice + easy, but with heavy baits it is not strong enough and slips up the line. Any suggestions?

One bad thing is the number of live bait (?) balloons washing up on the coast.   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 10:53pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Toad

I have found putting a small bead above the float helps overcome this problem. You can usually get a bead with an eye small enough that it will slide on the line but not over the stopper knot. You do need to check it after a retrieve because a solid bite will often jam the bead against the knot. If you are in Auckland, try Spotlight stores or the $2 shops for cheap beads.

Cheers

Keith

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 10:44am
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Toad,
               I understand your problem. Another along similar lines is when using a DEEP running float. The stopper knot may be many metres up your mainline, and on a threadline reel, the line slipping off the spool can catch on the tag ends of the stopper as it still lies underneath on the spool. Very frustrating when it catches, and embarrassing to boot! I prefer stopper knots over tubing, as theyre less bulky. By using the beads that Keith suggests, allows you to scale down the size of the stopper (by using a lighter mono to tie it). This helps and also by keeping the tag ends as short as you dare! I dont like using glue or the like to smooth it out, as its a temporary position that can vary alot in a days fishing.
Using these techniques will help towards a smoother cast, but always be wary of the possibility it may still catch. Anyone got any other ideas?

Mars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2003 at 9:43pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Here you go guys have a look at some of the stuff in here, you might even buy some of it to try, but most of all this guy is a thinker like you........ 

http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/information.html

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2003 at 10:42pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i have tried having a very small sliding hook, keeper hook style, and using one that has an eye size just big enough to slide on the line. it will stop at any knot or bit of shrink tubing you put on. the thing i like about this is you always have a few different sizes of hook in the tackle box and can find one to fit the diameter of line you need. then i hook the rim of the balloon onto the sliding hook. it usually breaks off when you get a bite and i am too feeble fingered to mess around tying cotton.

another guy i watched fished for kingies off the rocks put a dozen or so kernels of corn inside his balloon. i asked what for and he said the noise attracts the fish. i looked skeptical so he rolled the balloon side to side for me and it is quite loud. never tried it though. might do.

Page  12>