Braid to Nylon Knot(The Best to use?)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hooka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braid to Nylon Knot(The Best to use?)
    Posted: 24 Mar 2003 at 8:23pm
Hooka View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi there;

Am having trouble finding a good knot to tie Braid to nylon.Using 20lb Spider to 15lb nylon.Any ideas guys?

Have tried the Allbright knot but it eventually slips out,and have used the Uni knot(Doubled over)but find it cuts through the nylon.or breaks if you strike too hard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve(Hooka)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dead Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2003 at 11:56pm
Dead Ant View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hooka,

I'm a big braid fan but haven't found any knots that work to join nylon traces with any luck.  I lost a good kingy that took a snapper bait when a double Uni-knot parted .  Since then I've given up trying and have reverted to swivels.  I think most people know the limitations of these so I'm keen to see if anybody's got any bright ideas.

Cheers

Dead Ant

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2003 at 6:16am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

try
www.braidproducts.com
there is a knots section in there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2003 at 8:57pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have braid with mono top-shot on my game reels. My method is to use a 3 metre sleeve of hollow braid into which I insert 1.5 metres of the braid and mono. The stuff I use is 80 lb braid and the Jerry Brown website says that the minimum mono size is 20 lb for this braid. The join is very smooth and 100%. I phoned Jerry and ordered over the phone. ring early ( during cheap rates).

http://www.jerry-brown-industries.com/old_welcome.html

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2003 at 6:12am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great site...very helpful
thanx Fishb8
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barapoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2003 at 11:52am
Barapoi View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hooka

You should use an Improved Allbright - which is a normal allbright, but you take the tag end of the braid and tie a lock knot around the main braid line.

I have got a couple of pictures of it, which I can email you if you want

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hooka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2003 at 9:27pm
Hooka View Drop Down
New User
New User

Thanks guys.Sorry for taking so long to reply.Blimen site would`nt let me in.Kept saying my Username and password were wrong.Quite a rigmaroll to get back in here.

Yes to you Barapoi,id like to see a photo.I`m using the All bright knot now,and ended up whip finishing it with my Fly tying gear to try and lock it on.Will see how it holds on my next adventure out.Hopefully this weekend.

Thanks to all the others.Love this site huh?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dead Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2003 at 3:38pm
Dead Ant View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey hooka,
    Didn't have time to perfect the knots suggested for the Furuno so in the end I tied a 7/0 with a lumo bead straight on to the braid. Desperation prevailed and a 2.1kg Kahawai came up. Don't know if this is just a fluke but I did note that fly lines are usually visible and it doesn't stop them.
   Cheers
        DA
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GrahamT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2003 at 7:08pm
GrahamT View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've found  that a uni to uni knot  hase worked  well   especially when top shotting. (ie  nylon  on inside of spool under the braid)  It only occasionally has to come into play .

Do I assume that you are talking a light trace at the end of the braid?  In that case  I would still recommend a swivel.

I prefer Parkinson to Alzheimer - I'd rather spill my beer than forget to drink it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2003 at 11:30pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I tie a bimimi twist in the braid then use the double to tie a 20 turn albright knot with the mono.  I finish off the albright knot with a couple of half hitches then a 5 turn half hitch where I carefully wind back the 5 turns to end up with a clean termination where the tag end is locked by the 5 turn knot.

I finish off by applying Pliobond all over the finished knot to ensure a smooth knot.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hooka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2003 at 6:54am
Hooka1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.I have a few knots to play with now.Next rainy day i`ll be into it.

I`m using the nylon as a shock trace on top of the Braid.

12lb nylon to 20lb Braid(Really thin braid to)I`m finding the Braid is actually cutting through the nylon if i hit em too hard on the strike.

Thx again guys!