Storage sorted

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Storage sorted
    Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 3:05pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, before I start a small confession. I'm one of those people who likes to have everything organised, in my workshop my tools have to be in their place, on the boat I have little marked up storage containers for different sized sinkers -so if I want a 4oz sinker I can just put my hand straight on one. And all my fishing rigs are stored wrapped round pieces of cardboard in individual plastic bags. I wasn't really happy with all my fly tying stuff storage, having tried various tubs and boxes. I decided I wanted a roll top desk that I could keep everything in, and just close when I wasn't using it to keep everything out of the way. So, for the huge investment of $25 on trademe here's my new fly tying bench

Plenty of room for all my feathers, fur and stuff

And the desk slides out to make a workbench

Looking at the weather forecast I think I'll be giving it a test this weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 3:54pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice mate -

I'm in the same boat at the moment and looking at getting something made quite possibly.
Those old sewing cabinets with the roll doors certainly are popular as a work station though.

Not sure if you've been on the web and looked at some of the brilliant tying benches guys have made. Some pretty innovative cookies out there.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 4:03pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin James Kevin James wrote:

Not sure if you've been on the web and looked at some of the brilliant tying benches guys have made. Some pretty innovative cookies out there.

No, not me. I haven't spent ages trawling through photo's of other peoples fly tying benches
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 9:06pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice one, Kevin!

I was poised to buy something similar myself, but got distracted. My desk looks like a bloody bomb hit it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 7:37am
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shot Kevin! Those roll top desks are the absolute schizz - nicest thing as you said is you can close it all up in seconds and the Minister of Home Affairs has nothing to bleat about!

Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 2:15pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have just done the same... apparently this one is form the old Post Office in Ohakune.
undefined

www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 3:44pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's the shiz Clarke!

NiceThumbs Up

Just out of interest to the guys that have these open type desks, do you find you get a whole bunch more bugs in them as opposed to say storing the stuff in sealable plastic containers?

I'm a bit suss sticking my capes in a drawer and having a mite infestation or something equally as traumatic.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 3:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

I try to keep my stuff in sealed plastic bags, but just like I once swore I would only have sex with a condom on, in the heat of feather bending I forget. I'm a messy ******* (In more ways than one). What I do is buy three or four flea collars and cut them into small squares and put a handful in each draw or compartment, seems to keep things relatively pest and more importantly disease free... Does not apply to the condom theory though. Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 4:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin James Kevin James wrote:

That's the shiz Clarke!

NiceThumbs Up

Just out of interest to the guys that have these open type desks, do you find you get a whole bunch more bugs in them as opposed to say storing the stuff in sealable plastic containers?

I'm a bit suss sticking my capes in a drawer and having a mite infestation or something equally as traumatic.

BTW, did a bit of work for the "Taihape Tickler" recently, quite a bit actually, and on a "lay day" went along as "pack *****" for Russ and your mate. What a genuinely awesome bloke, Tough fishing, that water up the top needs some rain desperately! But we made a fist of it, as always! Next step is wetting a line with you my friend!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 10:31pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Made a little addition to mine recently

Very happy with that. Now just need to fill all the slots....

Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 11:58am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool Geoff - I just wouldn't trust myself having those rods like that.
Knowing my co-ordination I'd kick the fecking things and break them.

@Clarke
Last time I saw the Taihape Tickler we overdosed on single malt and cigars.

David is an awesome bloke - top of his field in cancer research and what he has done for men's health and his contribution to medicine (prostate cancer) is nothing short of outstanding.

Catch up soon mate.