Windon Leader Questions

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windon Leader Questions
    Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 10:50am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've decided to leap into the 21st century........ for trailer boat game fishing and change over to Windons and have a couple of questions;
1. What breaking strain windon leader is appropriate for Marlin?
2. What length lure leaders are people running?

I'm aware the combined length of Windon and Lure leader to the end of Hook needs to be less than 9 metres for mainlines breaking strains over 10Kg.

Thanks

Bob

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 11:35am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Im just using 200lb for west coast stripes both windon and bite leader. 6m windon and 2.8m bite leader. Been working well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:06pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Bob... i have been building windons for a few years now using Jerry Brown hollow and to date, i have had great feedback and no problems. This year i have made a few 200lb windons and these are proving very good(Go west above is using them) Smaller lures run very well on them
300lb also very popular and still plenty use 400lb
All mine are 6m and i use 2.5m bite leader
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:08pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep can vouch for kavemans windons very nice Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:10pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cool, that sounds like where I will start. Kaveman, are your windons available in Hamilton or only direct from you?

What's the largest size windon that can run through the Aftco HD (NOT Bigfoot) guides? I'd heard there was a fit issue?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:17pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Bob... only available from me at present. $15 each or $50 for 4

The best thing about using JB hollow is how thin it is compared to using dacron. What line weight are you using? pretty sure the Aftco HD are sweet (all my gear on boat at present)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

Up to 37kg, I imagine the thickest point would be the Bimini knot or maybe the loop to loop connection?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:51pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

thickest point always the dacron/mono connection, that is one of the advantages of using JB, very thin compared to dacron and also a lot stronger.

bimimi or loop to loop are very small knots/connections

400lb windons using JB hollow are 3.5mm at widest point(which is the double serve using waxed thread)  300lb are 2.9mm and 200lb are 2.4mm

using dacron, they are 3.8mm for 400lb
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 8:26pm
rustler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have used windons for the last 10 years they are great, can recommend Kaveman 's products,  I use 300/400lb as you never know when a big one will come along  200lb ok for stripes but if you get a blue over 180kg or so you will start to get very nervous about your leader standing up. I run about 6mtr windon with about 2.2 on the lure. I like to keep well under the 9mtr because of stretch .
'Politically Correct' a misguided bunch of morons who think they can pick up a piece of **** by the clean end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 8:33pm
rustler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Big foot are the best option for using windons but I replaced just the tip  roller with a big foot on one of my rods that had the hd rollers and it works ok with 300lb windon saves the cost of doing all the guides
'Politically Correct' a misguided bunch of morons who think they can pick up a piece of **** by the clean end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 8:57pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reading these posts keeps me nervous.
I use my gear like I hunt snapper. Mainline to trace that holds lure. I measure that trace as two of my arm lengths. That's it.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 12:06am
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What length double is best to use before joining the wind on to mainline?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 12:20am
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As stated the max length for a leader (wind on plus bite leader) is 9 m (30 ft.) The combined length of leader plus double must not exceed 40 ft. i.e you are allowed up to 20 ft. double plus up to 30 ft. leader provided the combined leader and double does not exceed 40 ft.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 7:36am
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Reading these posts keeps me nervous.
I use my gear like I hunt snapper. Mainline to trace that holds lure. I measure that trace as two of my arm lengths. That's it.
Too short Matt
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 8:25am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I do understand why Phil, I do push the boundaries on my gear set ups.
Have been fortunate as landed two fish now as you know and on that set up.
Been very lucky. Reading the posts here shows how necessary it is to have those longer leaders. Time for me to change and reduce my risks.
I was doing it though to encourage better action on my lures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 10:01am
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a mate who has caught a few marlin with mainline too swivel with a simple uni not and no double and then standard length leader.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 11:17am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Its not unusual to run with no double on the mainline. A number of the Bluefin Tuna Guys in the Sth island run that system with the 130lb gear.  If you have a look at the Wicked Tuna rigs there is zero double, although admittedly they are running seriously heavy mainline :) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 11:31am
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No doubles for me, roll-over knot to swivel and a 4-5m 200-300lb leader. Seems to take the pain ok, used it on the bluefin with lots of drag. The only thing that is a pain is if You need to shorten them after a heavy day on Makos they can get too short quickly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 2:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Have never fished a double on all 8 Marlin I've landed, just been using 7 metre traces. Even then Marlin number 2 came up with the 24 kg mainline wrapped around it's tail. All those fish were landed on Charter boats with the luxry of wide open spaces and plenty of crew, hence the use of Long traces/leaders.

Will use a double now for ease of joining windon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 1:40am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That gives me more confidence, I have been rigging all my gear down to poppers, stickbaits and now even my snapper gear with braid to hollowcore than trace or clip swivel and I always go to a snap swivel then to trace for my larger gear. This gives me infinite variations to the hook or popper or lure or jig instantly as Im very comfortable to change tools often.
Good to hear that KAVEMAN uses similar connections with the hollowcore.
I have found no failures, excellent casting in all gear, no sticking with rollers. So far all good.
Bar my marlin lure gear all my connections to hooks are knots and they have never looked like failing even on marlin.
Not sure if I have been lucky or just using a formula that is currently working, though waiting for murphies law to test that.
I'm still concerned with large fishing jumping on my trace zone but looking for that failure to test my gear.
Having not hooked anything larger than 137 kg the real test has yet to come. But overall happy with my systems on every other species I have hooked.
So far a 100% success on all species.
I do this to give better feel and action also other than what I have mentioned above.
Page  12>