Tonga Fishing Queries - June

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tonga Fishing Queries - June
    Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 2:56pm
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im going to Tonga at the beginning of June for a week with the mrs and would like to fit some fishing in if I can. Staying at Fafa Island which I think is out off Nuku'alofa??Not too sure.. Few Questions;

How good is the fishing at that time of year and what would be the likely target species?

The resort tells me the only charter operation that will pick me up from the island is 'Whale, swim, fish and dive tours' which I understand is run by a Kiwi..?Could be wrong here again. Their boats look the biz but I'm not too sure how much fishing this guy actually does, I think his primary business is whale watching. Has anyone been out fishing with them or know someone that has? If so what was your experience?

Does anyone know of other charter operators that are based out of Nuku'alofa?

Has anyone been to Fafa Island? Is it worthwhile taking a popper/stickbait set for casting off the bricks around the reefs etc or taking out on a kayak?

Thanks in advance for your responses Smile, never been to Tonga so really don't know much about it or what to expect, think I went to fiji when I was about ten years old...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 4:37pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

There's quite a bit of info on fishing in Tonga here. It's more related to Vava'u but a lot of it will be useful background. Great fishery when it's on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 5:29pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Not familiar with Fafa Is but if anything like the main Is of Tongatapu best forget any ideas of land based fishing & if the company you mention the only charter option available best not get your hopes up unless you can join a trip specifically focussed on fishing. Some resorts offer reef fishing trips but usually strictly for their own guests only.

You could as I did try persuading a local to take you out but be aware safety or maintenance is unlikely to have been a priority.

Best of luck but be aware that EVERYTHING apart from Sunday worship closes down from the dot of midnight for 24 hrs.

As Grunta rightly says the fishing around Vavau can really fire at time but at other times, like fishing anywhere can be abysmal & the added costs are definitely significant. not

Will pm you some more relevant info.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 7:55pm
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys, looking at google earth Vavau is ALOT further offshore from the mainland than where we'll be staying. I'd have to make an assumption that the area around Fafa is rather over fished. At $1400 odd bucks for a days fishing (I figure ill end up having to take the whole boat for myself) I might just have to give it a miss Unhappy . 
Never mind, I'll tell the mrs next time she decides to book a holiday without asking me she can book it at Vavau, sounds like a pretty awesome place!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 7:58pm
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh and Bazza, we already planned on taking our own lifejackets just for the ride to the resort. Lol, paranoid yes, but better safe than sorry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 11:48pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes, I've visited Fafa Island a couple of times when needing a break from the busy Nuku'alofa . I definitely think it is worth taking casting gear (stickbait/popper, spinning or fly) with you. From memory, it looked pretty sandy around the Island so I'm not sure of bricks/reef. There is however strong currents which would be worth fishn' (as the locals do on one side of the Island). I'm sure they'll have yaks you can borrow/rent and I'm sure you could find good water somewhere. Can't be any help with charters but good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 3:12pm
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Metal Float Metal Float wrote:

Yes, I've visited Fafa Island a couple of times when needing a break from the busy Nuku'alofa . I definitely think it is worth taking casting gear (stickbait/popper, spinning or fly) with you. From memory, it looked pretty sandy around the Island so I'm not sure of bricks/reef. There is however strong currents which would be worth fishn' (as the locals do on one side of the Island). I'm sure they'll have yaks you can borrow/rent and I'm sure you could find good water somewhere. Can't be any help with charters but good luck!

I like the sound of that! If taking only one set would you recommend taking thunnus 4000/5-8kg bbe or stradic5000fj/terez. 
I'm thinking a 7ft 1 piece rod might be a bit tricky to get over there but I've seen conversations on this elsewhere on here where its been done...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 5:22pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would definitely take your stickbait/popper gear if you can afford to. Casting over the sandy beaches in the tropics, especially at sunset, can produce a few surprises. Have even spoken to locals who have caught good sized GT's off the long concrete wharf down the road from the shipping wharf in Nuku.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WildBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:44pm
WildBird View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry for delay, have had issues with laptop and other things. Just catching up on a few things now.

Fafa is a fairly flat piece of land, and like most all of Tongatapu, surrounded by reef. If you can get a kayak, might be worth it late or very early. Note, most waters are fished by locals with spears and nets, so dont expect much, in numbers or size. Saying that, fishing is always about the unexpected! 

There are a couple of places you might be able to charter - they just dont advertise much. Best bet is to get to the fishing club in the harbour (closed Mondays and Tuesdays). The whale watching boat you mention is as you suggested, focussed on the whales, but they do sometimes chuck some rods in and have a troll - depends on clients, some only want whales, others happy to do some fishing if there is time. There are a few boats there, but would be hard to line it up before hand without local knowledge and contacts. There is a facebook page for the Nukualofa fishing club, that could be a good place to start. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 8:14am
Reel Magic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I stayed at Fafa about 4 years ago. very nice little island. On a side note see if you can pay for your meals in advance 1/2 board will get you breakfast and dinner. This was an excellent meal deal, eat crays etc without worrying about the cost. Full board will throw in lunch too.
As for the fishing , I took a 2 piece rod with 80lb braid and threw poppers from the shore during the day, no luck. As others have said, try early or late in the day, trevs were seen splashing around then. Another guy was casting flys, I don't think he got lucky either. They do have a small boat that will take out around the reefs/atolls close by, we went out on one towing lures, but we were not out long as a storm came by. I went snorkelling from the shore, saw a few smaller fish, but nothing to write home about. Take a rod and some lures if you can, because you won't catch anything if you don't try. Also you can walk around the island in 10-15 minutes, so have a rod will break the boredom, as there is not really a lot to do there, but well worth the visit. Buy some beers in Nuka alofa along with your duty free grog to drink in your bure, to save you a huge bar tab.
www.reelmagic.co.nz