Transducer set up (ct100)

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pleasuretime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transducer set up (ct100)
    Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 8:24am
Pleasuretime View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Raymarine
I have recently updated my boat to the latest raymarine gear
E display
Ct100 chirp
Cp450 2kw chirp (in hull transducer)
HDRadar

I can't get my ct100 down scan to perform as it should. To start with the mounting method is really second rate ( flops around as you can't tighten it up.
The slow performance is great ( below 8 knots ) depth and picture disappear at speeds over this.
Initially mounted as per instructions then after talking to lusty and Blundell, lowered it 25mm.
I then packed it out from the transom 20 mm .... No good
http://www.johnnyraysports.com/JR3install.html I have ordered one of these to try
Does anyone know of a successful install of a ct100 down vision I can get some tips from?
Any other suggestions ?
Thanks
Michael Parker
021 958820
Michael
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 9:09am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Flop around.. think u will find they do... bit of tolerance if hit something I think the reason is...ie no water at the ramp sitting in mud... set height and angle with at the top of the flop...
Position on the stern .. look up under the hull for any ribs, places that air can be drawn in from the bow , down under the hull out under the stern...
postion MUST BE where no air MAY go in the area of the transducer.....even 1" either side can make a huge difference

The other reason for interference is inducted electrical interferance from the transducer and its cables being routed too close to other cables.. ideally it should be on the opposite side of the boat to the other looms or at least 10" away.

Interference and air will give the symptoms u describe above.

All assuming the unit is at least set to default.

After all the messing around, moving, asking questions, research I had to do to get my transducer right.. and Im talking over 30 mph....came down to the above.
The best bit of research was looking at the same boat at ramps and trademe as to where they located on the stern.
That extender, in my opinion would not waste my time.. looking at that u are far more likely to pick up air and also prop interference.

Make sure the cables are outed secure and well away from anything else before even messing with mounting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 9:18am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Agree with above.. that extender is not what is needed. Try and position down scan transducer as "close" to centreline of hull as possible( making sure there is no stakes etc in front off)
I run a garmin downvu/ sidevu unit and get great screen shots but they do not perform well at speed

PS.  what hull have you got?
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 10:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"close" to centreline of hull as possible
interesting.. the manual etc says starboard side of the motor and x distance from prop...which means away from the keel....if one has a keel
Mine has ended up closer than the factory recommended into the prop thu not to close to the center  approx 15".. the though did cross my mind to put moreto the center behind the prop.. but that could mess up very slow speeds maybe...???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pleasuretime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 10:53am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the quick replies.
I have a Tristram Grandurer 9m
Mercury 370HP V8 diesel with a bravo stern leg
Michael
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pleasuretime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 10:54am
Bronze
Bronze

Michael
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pleasuretime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 10:55am
Bronze
Bronze

Michael
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CoastalStan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 11:58am
CoastalStan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have set up two of these on two different boats and can tell you that the only problem is it is way too low. And there is a screw that tightens it up. As a basic guide if you look at the front of the bulb there is a mold line that goes around it. That needs to sit level with the highest point of the hull. I travel at 24 knots and get perfect reception in all depths. the water from the hull needs to brush over the bottom of the transducer. Also mine sits level, not according to the instructions but tested it and it worked so never changed it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pleasuretime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 12:37pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Stan. This is how I first set it up. Similar to what you suggested?
Michael
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pleasuretime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 12:40pm
Bronze
Bronze

Michael
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 12:43pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

"close" to centreline of hull as possible
interesting.. the manual etc says starboard side of the motor and x distance from prop...which means away from the keel....if one has a keel
Mine has ended up closer than the factory recommended into the prop thu not to close to the center  approx 15".. the though did cross my mind to put moreto the center behind the prop.. but that could mess up very slow speeds maybe...???

I can see why yours is setup like that with the stern leg Steps, what does your readings on the Port side look like? Not  very good i would assume

The reason you need to get it as close to centre of boat as possible is with sidevu, you will not get a good sounding on one side of your boat.
You can fit 2 transducers (1 each side of hull) and use a special Y shaped connection that works with 2 transducers compared to using 1 transducer
Every boat is different in bottom shape etc so no "one" guaranteed fit for all boats.

The optimum placement is the same as placement of a normal transducer,(through hull) but naturally 2 transducer will be needed for sidevu  unless you have a flat spot on centreline with no turbulence in front of transducer.
Will take photo of my setup on Surtees 6.1
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 12:49pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Surtees have a special plate to fit transducer, fitted the structure scan as close to center of boat as possible.
Pleasuretime.. that bottom photo seems like a good trans setupThumbs Up mine might look low in the pic above but it is only just below hull line
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pleasuretime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:05pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Guys, My transducer is a CPT-100. has down vision ie not side vision so ok on one side. Works great at slow speeds.

CPT-100 Transom Mount CHIRP Transducer

Key Features

• Dual element CHIRP transducer

• Sonar - 25º conical beam

• DownVision - Wide (port / starboard) and thin (fore / aft) fan beam.

• Typical depth performance of 189 m (600 ft)

• Depth and temperature

• 10m cable

Product Number: A80270 

Michael
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:37pm
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Tristram Grandurer 9m.

Planing strakes.

Talking to lusties last time I had an issue with these transducers - they are apparantly designed to sit entirely under water "Torpedo" like.

0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CoastalStan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:55pm
Gold
Gold

That is how I originally set up mine but had the same problems as you. Moved it up 5-10mm and left it level and now is great. my boats at Mangawhai but you're welcome to check it out this weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CoastalStan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:56pm
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CoastalStan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:58pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Bay Marine Electronics Bay Marine Electronics wrote:

Tristram Grandurer 9m.

Planing strakes.

Talking to lusties last time I had an issue with these transducers - they are apparantly designed to sit entirely under water "Torpedo" like.

They put out a great rooster tail if you do that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 7:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can see why yours is setup like that with the stern leg Steps, what does your readings on the Port side look like? Not  very good i would assume

Mines on the starboard side, and an outboard...
If too deep one ends up with spray going all over the motor.. not recommended and a wet back.....
And designed to have the bottom 1/2 of the transducer only skimming the water, as per manufactures instructions....which if wrong Im sure that world wide there would be far more controversy than there is.

2 things cause issues
1/ electrical interference.. as mentioned above
2/Air between the bottom of the transducer and water... flowing underneath

Get 1/ 100% right 1st.. if thats not right 2 is just banging your head against a brick wall, and running around in circles.
Then set up exactly was the manufacture recommends using a straight edge gong at least 1/2 m up under the  hull surface to get the height (the seam as described above) right

And study, look at the hull from the bow back, and think it through how any air that gets trapped by chines , ribs, strakes... including those that go from bow to part way down the boat.....1" either way can make a huge difference....
And u may actually end up placing on a strake, because the air trapped by it at the bow may flow from it to the flat areas of the hull... reducing friction...
Which is why I had so much trouble getting the location right on mine
If u need to go too low, I believe the reason why is that u have to get below the trapped air and location is slighly wrong

I was fortunate that at some time in our boats life it had trim tabs...and was able to use these old screw holes till finding the right position... without making new holes.

Couple pics I have posted before, from one of the instruction books I have here.. which are basically the same regardless of brand

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pleasuretime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 8:01am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all your comments
Do you think because I get perfect readings at 8 knots ( sonar and depth) that I have no electrical interference issues?
If this is true then I have a location issue only?
Michael
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 8:30am
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by CoastalStan CoastalStan wrote:

Originally posted by Bay Marine Electronics Bay Marine Electronics wrote:

Tristram Grandurer 9m.

Planing strakes.

They put out a great rooster tail if you do that!

I must admit it did sound strange when they told me
0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz
Page  12>