undersized

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: undersized
    Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 12:31pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

here is a little story from LegaSea,

Brought no fish home today as they were all undersized... no worries i'll just go buy some from Tai-Ping Asian Supermarket in Botany Auckland.

This is pathetic, something has to change.

this is also an indicator of how many undersized snapper are being killed and thrown back.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 12:43pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

how do people in the real world think of this type of antics by our Goverment,
here are a few reply's to the above story,
this is just a handful of them and in less than 3hrs of LegaSea posting this...

jesus christ. thats ****ed

Why isn't the government doing something about this

**** you have big hands. you make that large adult gurnard look like a juvenile

Selling New Zealand to the highest bidder,Seabed and Foreshores,what a load of ****,reap what you sow Kiwis

How do you even eat that. Oh wait mince the whole thing then blend

Again looks like gurnard , as like the post the other day there is not commercial minimum size on gurnard

No ****ing wonder there's none to be caught

fair enough man, not in china now ay

That just wrong sick as

You wonder why there are no f@$king fish in other countries(Asian)?? local waters ........wake the **** up NZ put pressure on our politicians to (STOP) being a slut to the rest of the world what other resources do we have left?? what don't we sell?? My bait is bigger than that!!

if people stopped buying them, took a stand.......yeah that prob wont work....its asian shop with asian buyers their top customers i bet

****in rude alright

****in unreal

Put it on Campbell live .Then you will see some action

Wtf why even bother to have catch and size limits if people are still rape and pillaging the sea. Do they not see why there's no fish in Asia? Hands off mine ****tards so I can let them grow to feed my family!

up saw that as weel in one shop in otahuhu

What can you do when you have govt , that doesn't know the difference between a surpass and deficit

I stay out of those shops for fear of losing the ****en plot and doing something dumb.

****ing disgusting

Something needs to be done about this, I'm sick of this country being exploited by greedy disrespectful ****s. Power to the people, enough is enough

I am speechless. How can they say our fisheries management is world leading!!

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 12:44pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very good illustration Lethal. Last year at a similar supermarket i saw a huge bin of similar size Red Gurnard at 99c per kilo. I bough 5 for the huge amount of 45c. Rang MPI and they got all excited for all of 20 minutes until they rang back to say that there was no commercial size on Gurnard. So in fact it was legal . So guess one could say good on them for bringing them in rather than dumping. If that is any consulation at all. Mean while the real problem continues , small diamond mesh trawl net would at a guess be the culprit.
So undersize for us --yes. For commercial-- no. And i suspect therein lies the problem of very few gurnard in the gulf compared to previous days when big gurnard could make up a reasonable portion of the catch.

Yes it is pathetic and yes it has to change. But who will change it.

Meanwhile in the present time frame fish populations for many species continue to decline right around the coast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 12:46pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

the ground swell is slowly and surely starting to rise people are getting sick to death of how our fishery is being treated,
i just hope it happens within this year or next not sometime in the future when its to late...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 12:51pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

.question, if a minimum size limit was put in place for gurnard, what would have happened to the fish in the picture?

the concept of size limits is no good because the method used to catch the fish kills them! its time trawling was given the boot from the inshore fishery.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 12:58pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is fkn disgusting!!! It basically still has it's egg sack attached.... it's an embryo! Mother $^%^^$$##S!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 1:28pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So one trawler lands them and another dumps them.no win situation till mpi get trawlers out to the 100m mark and increase net size
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 1:39pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

escape sections in the trawl net its that F*#KIN simple,
if they dont want to add escape hole then get the F#*K out off the inshore fishery,

how hard is it to fix MPI?????
get your act together your fouling the sea with all the money your being payed to the shut the F*#K up...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 1:54pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"I'm sick of this country being exploited by greedy disrespectful ****s."

So Eric what is your solution apart from ranting like a loony with turrets syndrome on a fishing forum that is mostly already convinced that commercial wastage and over fishing is not sustainable or OK?

LIST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS WITHOUT ACTUALLY LOSING THE PLOT:
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 2:34pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

one solution which was stated right above your post introduce escape section into trawl nets for small fish to get out alive while the net is being used down on the bottom where minimal damage is done to them, its that simple...

how we get the Comm's to do that is the big question,
some already have done it because they care.
but the rest need a kick in the ass because they show no respect for the future stocks,
with weight from the LegaSea and Fishing forums face/book Twitter the amount of people getting more and more pissed off with what the are reading photo evidence/ video footage like your own and others the pressure must be getting harder to bear by those in high places that they might change...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 5:49pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So Eric what is your solution apart from ranting like a loony with turrets syndrome on a fishing forum that is mostly already convinced that commercial wastage and over fishing is not sustainable or OK?

LIST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS WITHOUT ACTUALLY LOSING THE PLOT:

We are all basically on the same page as what should be
It is what needs to be done to get there.
Kezza...u started a ball rolling with your stand up be counted facebook/ and then Campbell fronting.
Now IF Campbell is serious in making fisheries an on going issue, he needs more..
And that means this sort of stuff needs to be communicated to him

Kezza got a big ball rolling , it needs to be kept rolling before it  gathers moss, and that means everyone.. u come acros this sort of stuff,  stand up and front up get it out to campbell... not preach to the converted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 6:14pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

never mind him Steps he has a bee in his bonnet,

more and more photos are appearing and some of the comments are just get wilder,
people are seeing the damage and the more its exposed to the public the more it will be talked about the more it is talked about the more it will be hard to shut-up or hide...

another shop selling tiny Gurnard at reduced price of $1-99kg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:38am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

never mind him Steps he has a bee in his bonnet,

I dont think u get my meaning... Sure Kezz and I dont get on ....that doesn't matter
His post maybe a little 'agressive'  but that doesnt mean what he is essentially saying is wrong.
And quite frankly.. agree with him.

Preaching to the converted doesnt achieve anything...
Getting the message, the abuse of the resource out there...as he has done on facebook and Campbell is how things eventually get changed...and not letting the ball thats started gather moss
And it NEEDS ppl to front up on progs like campbell when the opportunity arises.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 10:52am
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

putting escape holes in trawl nets only solves part of the problem, not all fish willfind the hole and the escape hole does nothing to help the damage done to the seabed by the constant plowing effect trawling has. the simple answer is, trawling needs to be pushed out beyond the 100m line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 11:37am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

you got lost as well somewhere down the line as well Steps, because the post if you notice was what LegaSea posted on Face Book, here is a little story from LegaSea,
it was never my intention to grab the headlines all i did was extend LegaSeas Face Book onto this site so those that arnt on there could see it is not standing still,
the comments underneath are how people reacted to it, i never entered there names as that is another story,
why Kezza had his little say is beyond me as that comment is from off Face Book not mine....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 11:42am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by gollyfish gollyfish wrote:

putting escape holes in trawl nets only solves part of the problem, not all fish willfind the hole and the escape hole does nothing to help the damage done to the seabed by the constant plowing effect trawling has. the simple answer is, trawling needs to be pushed out beyond the 100m line.

yes very true gollyfish,
but a 60/80% reduction is what they are saying overseas in undersized kill rate with square mesh inserted makes for a great start in reducing the mass killing they have now,
plus its achievable without going to war with Lawyers in a Court room which is going to happen if they are removed out to the 100m mark...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OTK Lure fishing NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 6:00pm
OTK Lure fishing NZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Can we not put beacons like the CD Tsunami ones in areas of no fishing, put boundaries in aswell? Do commercial guys use a beacon? If they go either off the radar or inside the boundaries it alarms officials?

In shore COM fishing is a joke on the inner harbour, working all day long weeks on end, not a piece of real estate untouched. Then comes to the weekend they bugger off out the back where the average Joe can't get to, the average person wonders why on such awesome conditions, it has been slow. Again if licensing for rec fisherman pays for better management of our fishery then I am in. Population of people is rising inevitably, we need to get control.

At the end of the day everything is money, this may be a compromise but who enforces it, who do we trust with our money? Put someone we trust in where it matters, back them up all the way. I have just come across this section on the forum and am encouraged by the passion of the members.

Something must change.
Think like the fish, breath like the fish. I AM THE FISH!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 11:36am
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i was in westend new world rotorua yesterday. the display cabinet was full of baby snapper 18-25 cm snapper frames and some whole fish. one rule for us and one for them. it sucks.
the biggest snapper would not reach 27cm.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 12:17pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

they must have shrunk roddholder or your eye ob-meter was slightly out,
its illegal to have in their possession at anytime a undersized fish, snapper being 25cm for Comm's.
photo prof of such fish with a ruler is the only way to prove you have it right...
speculation will never convict anyone need the prof...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 12:37pm
lovernanako View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

call the fishery, send them the photos.
and they will find out if the fish are imported or caught in NZ.
if its imported fish then no big deal
Page  12>