2004 fyran rebel 500 any feedback please?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swivelfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2004 fyran rebel 500 any feedback please?
    Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 7:51am
swivelfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am looking at getting a 2004 500 rebel. I have heard some stink reviews on this rig and would love to hear a true pros and cons review from owners or regular passengers in this vessel. I am north shore based, like to get out past the noises and to tiri and back with myself and up to 2 passengers. The rig i am looking at has 90merc or a 4 stroke 60 mariner. I value your opinions!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Denny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 9:25am
Denny Boy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep-I bought one of these new in 2003....same rig. As far as a cheap all round unit goes I loved it but as with a lot of boaties I outgrew it. Pro's-easy as to launch with one person, sits low on the trailer never even got the rims wet to launch, nice riding cut through the water great, ample fishing room, light to tow, easy enough to get at the anchor and light to push around. Overall a good wee boat. Cons-mine had a 70hp Merc and was in my mind only sufficient power especially with 4-up 90hp will be great, was wet as you will need a good canopy if you want to stay dry, assembly and welding a bit suspect and some of the welds started to "frost" even using Saltaway in the 4 years I had it, tended to nose-dive in a following sea and broach which was the most concerning thing to me. Like I say I did outgrow it but when I look back at the 5 other boats I have had since the only one that was better is the one I've got now... Surtees 5.5 but of course are dearer! Once again if you want value for money and the motor's still good go for it. DB
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swivelfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 9:48am
Bronze
Bronze

thanks Denny Boy. Probably the best feedback I've ever heard on the rebel actually! what areas were you fishing in your rebel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 11:02am
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Denny Boy Denny Boy wrote:

Yep-I bought one of these new in 2003....same rig. As far as a cheap all round unit goes I loved it but as with a lot of boaties I outgrew it. Pro's-easy as to launch with one person, sits low on the trailer never even got the rims wet to launch, nice riding cut through the water great, ample fishing room, light to tow, easy enough to get at the anchor and light to push around. Overall a good wee boat. Cons-mine had a 70hp Merc and was in my mind only sufficient power especially with 4-up 90hp will be great, was wet as you will need a good canopy if you want to stay dry, assembly and welding a bit suspect and some of the welds started to "frost" even using Saltaway in the 4 years I had it, tended to nose-dive in a following sea and broach which was the most concerning thing to me. Like I say I did outgrow it but when I look back at the 5 other boats I have had since the only one that was better is the one I've got now... Surtees 5.5 but of course are dearer! Once again if you want value for money and the motor's still good go for it. DB

I'd be looking at something else after Denny Boy's experience of his boat. I would think there are better options if you are prepared to wait and act fast when one comes up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swivelfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 11:07am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Pompey, sound advice. also been looking at a 5m clay, but not sure the gunwales are high enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Denny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 2:51pm
Denny Boy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by swivelfish swivelfish wrote:

thanks Denny Boy. Probably the best feedback I've ever heard on the rebel actually! what areas were you fishing in your rebel?
North Taranaki is my area so it's good west coast condtions that my boats have had to go in
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote b500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 7:36am
b500 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have one, 2011 with a 60hp for stroke mercury. I wasnt expecting to much from it as it is a fryan but have been surprised by it. Do most of my fishing around auckland but have taken it up north and out to the poor knights and a few other decent trips like that. Has kept up with the other boats. In the end it was a cheap boat, is cheap to run , easy to tow and I would probably get another one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 10:41am
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Be all right for 22k,nice kiwi boat,they can be a little tender but a good all rounder