Help with drogue and drift speed please

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with drogue and drift speed please
    Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 11:55am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My question is, does it hurt to have a drogue too big for your boat?

Also how do I deploy a drogue and can I control drift speed with it?

What about when wind and current are against each other?

Also any other recommendations for a small boat drogue would be appreciated.

Im tempted to get one of the burnsco $29 ones for now (funnel not parachute) and upgrade once we have a new boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:11pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No go as big as you like - you will be able to pull the ducky towards the anchor rather than the other way.

Get a parachute one - the others are crap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:22pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers joker.

ill go for a parachute, should see me right for a few years. prob overkill for the zodiac 310 but will just mean extra drift control
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ohsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 4:06pm
ohsif View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A parachute sea anchor that is too big for the vessel will collapse and likely tangle. This is why I like to size the sea anchor to the hull shape, weight and windage rather than boat length.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 4:57pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just a soft bottom rubber ducky 10.5ft. doesnt have a glass keel so gets blown around easily.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 5:11pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

get yourself a "Hand Break" from Ocean Angler they even have a float attached to the top of the Parachute which eliminates tangles plus the cords are set not to tangle comes complete with clips and return rope which makes it collapse when retrieving,
no rubber lining to fall apart after a few years of use, possible the best there is....

benefits and usage:

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 5:20pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks lethal, will look into that.

this marine deals one is also described as a parachute but clearly different to the other parachute type.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 5:26pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

how much is the handbreak? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ohsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 5:28pm
ohsif View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

this marine deals one is also described as a parachute but clearly different to the other parachute type.

Would you jump out of an aeroplane with something that looked like that?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 5:31pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes if its all i had on hand :-) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:39pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a danger on going too big on small boats. If it's a little bit too choppy or a few larger waves are about you can get them coming over the stern. By the time the first few have swapped you and you have to go to the stern pushing it down even further then quickly (yeah right) pull the drogue in you could easily be in a non recoverable situation. Not so bad in a rubber duck as above though just a warning for others. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:56pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have wondered in the past, where small boats suddenly get swamped if have had a sea anchor to big off the wrong part of the boat... doesnt have to be wave... a wake would do it..
Thu most cases seem to be overloaded or in seas to big for the craft.. or both.. or also a droigue out as well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 9:45pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Looks like it will last as long as those blue tarps from the Red Shed - maybe 6 months if that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:07pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

what a thing to say Joker,
considering it's a guy that tends to produce quality product and stands by that product,
he is an inspiration to fishing and demands nothing but the best from his products,
think there just maybe some other ulterior motive for a comment like that...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 11:07am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

whats wrong with having a drogue off the bow if your bottom bouncing? perhaps with such a small boat im better sticking to something small.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 12:55pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

you certainly can Fiz its no different plus safer for small boats,
actually it works even better but its a pain if you have a cabin of any sort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 5:24pm
Juan night only View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

what a thing to say Joker,
considering it's a guy that tends to produce quality product and stands by that product,
he is an inspiration to fishing and demands nothing but the best from his products,
think there just maybe some other ulterior motive for a comment like that...

Was he referring to the one in the marine-deals link? It actually looks like a tarp with holes in it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 5:38pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well its quite a common design overseas.

if you have a little dinghy like me wont one of the cheap funnel jobbies do the job?

do those ocean angler flashing fish really do anything or is it a gimmick. i guess the idea is like spearo flashers. i think its probably out of my price range and need right now. just need to slow the boat down a little and will upgrade when i get a bigger boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:34am
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The cheap funnel jobs do the job adequately, especially on smaller boats.
The parachute jobs are undoubtably better (and that's what I run on my 6.2 hardtop which has a lot of windage) - but if you go oversize and rig it off the stern you are in danger of getting swamped. There is nothing wrong with rigging a sea anchor off the bow - in fact when the weather is ****ty it's the way to go. If you use an over length tripping line you can have that run back to the cockpit and trip and recover and reset from there without ever having to go forward after the initial deployment. Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 5:10pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

so out of the funnel ones, which ones worth the money. i think the tagit is $100 and the other no namers about $29. im thinking the cheaper the better at this stage if im aiming to spend $130 on an OA next year.
Page  12>