Push fo more Marine Reserves in Hauraki Gulf

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Push fo more Marine Reserves in Hauraki Gulf
    Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:41pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some time ago this topic was raised ..well here it is in black and white >> hot off the press 18/02/2015

As hundreds-of-thousands of people visit Mahurangi marine reserves every year, local marine biologist Dr Roger Grace is pushing to create more reserves along the coast.

Dr Grace is advocating for 10 per cent of the Hauraki Gulf to be set aside as marine reserve and is developing a map to show what that might look like.

Currently, only 0.3 per cent of the gulf is protected in six marine reserves.

The plan is still being developed but includes possible sites at Te Arai/Mangawhai, areas of the estuary of Whangateau Harbour, and near Kawau Island.

“It’s not just about the number of marine reserves, but the variety,” Dr Grace says.

“It’s crucial that the full range of habitats is represented because they act as a control and show what the areas could look like without fishing. This will give us a better understanding of how best to manage them.”

The proposal formed part of a presentation Dr Grace made to Sea Change’s Biodiversity and Security Round Table, which he sits on.

Sea Change involves a wide range of groups who are creating a marine spatial plan for the Hauraki Gulf based on a consensus, incorporating the interests of the variety of users of the gulf.

The spatial plan will not be legally binding on government or councils, but will provide recommendations for improved management of the gulf. It is due out in September.

Dr Grace says the proposal was strongly opposed by commercial and recreational fishing representatives on the round table, but was supported by the majority of the representatives. However, as Sea Change is built on consensus, any proposal that does not receive unanimous support does not progress to the Steering Committee for consideration in the final report. Although Dr Grace’s research will still be included in evidence available to the committee.

“But Sea Change is not the end of the line for creating more marine reserves. It’s a great opportunity, but it’s just the beginning,” he says.

“One way or another, we will make progress towards greater marine protection.”

The popularity of marine reserves was highlighted in a recent Auckland Council survey, which found more people visit marine reserves than go fishing.

The survey had nearly 3000 responses and found 39 per cent had visited a marine reserve in the past 12 months, while only 24 per cent had gone fishing.

A 2008 report, commissioned by DOC, estimated that 375,000 people visit Cape Rodney Okakari Point Marine Reserve (Goat Island) every year, bringing in about $18.6 million to the local economy.

Nationally, nine per cent of NZ’s ocean is protected, but the majority lies around the Auckland and Kermadec Islands, and only about one per cent is close to the mainland. By comparison, national and regional parks make up about 30 per cent of NZ’s land area.

Additionally, restoring the natural environment on land requires much more effort than creating a marine reserve.

“All you have to do is stop fishing. No planting, no weeding, no pest control – just stop fishing and the ecology will recover all by itself,” Dr Grace says.

Marine reserve facts
0.3 per cent of the Hauraki Gulf is protected in marine reserves
There are six marine reserves in the Gulf – Goat Island, Tawharanui, Long Bay, Waitemata Harbour, Waiheke Island and Cathedral Cove.
Nine per cent of NZ’s ocean is protected. The majority lies in the Auckland Islands and Kermadec Islands, and only about one per cent is coastal.
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:52pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

""All you have to do is stop fishing. No planting, no weeding, no pest control – just stop fishing and the ecology will recover all by itself""

The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 12:34am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

and this says it all,  bringing in about $18.6 million
so is it about the fish or about the money???

2008 they had more people at the reserve than went fishing, what sort of bulls crap is that? one year out of a hat?
you couldn't fit the amount of people that go fishing on a weekend into that reserve you dumb ass..

so you dont want to wait for the Goverment to make the Gulf a Rec fishing only reserve because that would defeat your purpose right?

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 12:48am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Eric it sounds like its about money from people who want to watch the fish swim around..

Rec fishers spend more than 18.6 million ..

"Only 3000" did the survey doesn't represent a true cross section of the population ...total bullswool

I did that survey as well ,didn't like its questions for one ..we know know what they wanted to hear

Looks like many issues ahead to confront

The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 5:37am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can understand goat island with it's visibility but inner gulf to merky.10% reserves90% recreational fishing only?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:16pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am not opposed to Marine Reserves in principle but also want to see the areas carefully selected if they go ahead.  Is there anywhere we can see Roger Grace proposed map?  I have had a quick look at the sea change website but cannot find it.

It is also worth noting that 4.9% of the HG is no-take because of the cable exclusion zone - so that makes 5.2% when you add on the 0.3% existing marine reserves
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:22pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

I can understand goat island with it's visibility but inner gulf to merky.10% reserves90% recreational fishing only?

pjc - I don't think murkiness has much to do with appropriate choice of marine reserves - unless you are a tour operator or are choosing sites more for their appeal as snorkeling spots.  These factors should be part of why SOME sites are chosen but the majority should be for diversity of habitat etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

Here is a hand-over presentation from the Biodiversity Biosecurity Round Table

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:02pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree with ya Phantom Menace. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:22pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've been to Goat Island reserve once - but go fishing whenever I can.......
A lot of the visitors to Goat Island would be overseas tourists.
Good observation about the cable zone restricted area being the equivalent of a reserve PM.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:30pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

what is the reason for reserves?
unless they are as big as the knights they do nothing for anything,
what really needs to happen is the whole of the HG needs a kick in the pants,
reduced amount of Commercial fishing for a start,
only certain types of Commercial fishing is allowed, that is none destructive,
the amount taken should be no more than to feed the population within the HG only,
Rec should be reduced to 5 fish at 27cm per person until such time as a rebuild has been proven,
only 5 fish total that includes all species for now.
a no take on any shell fish for the next 4 years,
total ban on gill nets that are set to catch or encircle, only designated areas for flounder/mullet.

you want a Marine reserve then lets make the whole HG one till such time as we get the fish numbers back up to a point the surface is being smashed by Kahawai/Trevelly/ Mackerel and huge flocks of birds then you can look at the Rec's take again, but this will not include the Comm's their take is limited to maybe longlining only for the local market full stop.

between 5 to 8 years would be all it takes and the school fish would have double just because the undersized fish have been given a chance to grow...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 6:47pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what we need a kina cull,as they have over taken a lot of areas and restricting paua etc to reach maturity,a place below whitianga i was told about so many kina and the last 5 or so years the paua have stagnated at 80mm.

someone please explain the reserve at ponui/makatu bay area(the sisters)never really produced fish so what makes them think fish will congregate there and population increase

"phantom menace"the point i was making,if you have a reserve such as goat island i want to be able to snorkel and see what is being protected,
who remembers the early days of mussel farms?virtually every bay was ear marked to have a farm,never happened.as a example kawau island (bon accord )was ear marked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 5:31pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sea Change results on reserves
Issue 4: Marine Protected Areas 85% agree with the idea of creating additional MPAs, with 18% saying more MPAs would increase diversity of sea life and 10% saying it would benefit the wider ecosystem. 11% suggested validated research to inform decision making.

Issue 1: Fish stock abundance 92% said we should aim to increase levels of fish stocks in the Gulf. 72% nominated snapper as the species of particular concern to them. 28% suggested slowing or stopping commercial fishing. Issue 2: Seafloor impacts 73% said all human activities have big impacts on the Gulf (rather than choosing one specific activity). 21% suggested banning trawling. Issue 3: Protecting and restoring marine habitats 37% suggested additional or improved marine reserves

http://www.seachange.org.nz/PageFiles/774/SWG%20summer%20survey%20presentation%20web.pdf
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 2:48pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

Here is a hand-over presentation from the Biodiversity Biosecurity Round Table

Have a read of the Benthic Disturbance recommendations on page  13
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 3:24pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Phantom Menace there is some bloody excellent thoughts gone into this, the final draft is looking really good, i have to take my hat off to these guys they have come up with a plan which not everyone is going to like but its a fantastic start,
i am very impressed considering what was coming out of the meetings/reports it seamed all one sided before, but the Draft above is just miles better than i think anyone could have thought we would end up with...
i hope they can or have the power to implement all this in the report.....
WELL DONE SEA CHANGE...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OTK Lure fishing NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 3:42pm
OTK Lure fishing NZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've been looking at the CPZ which runs for miles through the Hauraki for example. Why don't they actually man this area and hand out fines to people fishing in there, take your boat and car. Attached a govt doc I was reading about it, and the issue its not manned 24hrs. They reckon no substantial reef to actually make a difference in the CPZ. Suppose big costs to run boats all the time but theres enough rec fishos to be able to call in via VHF, there's enough people on the radio who have a real passion about fishing.

click here

Was passing through this area early Sunday morning and there was a commercial buoy for a longline sitting right in it. Is that ok? I have no issue not fishing in the CPZ, nor have an issue calling someone in if indeed fishing in the CPZ. For example. I would think such a big area would make some difference. If indeed commercial guys can fish in here then how on earth can they recover, they cover this amount of area in a couple days.

But also recreational fishermen all the time fish in here and have no idea. I never used to know it existed but now a new boat I have the ability to get past the CPZ where as my old tinny it was borderline. People chase gannets into this area oblivious aswell.

SHUT IT DOWN I rekon. Apologies if I am a bit behind the times on the whole CPZ vs reserves etc. I am new to the wider ocean now I can indeed head out a little further, I see the value, and would love to do my part to protect it.

I am fishing once a week unless we have a death in the family. I even go fishing on the father n laws wedding day lol. We regulate what we take, the new quota system has had no impact to how we fish.
Think like the fish, breath like the fish. I AM THE FISH!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 5:14pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

unless your running a GPS system of some sort your not likely to know where exactly the Cable Zone is,
but true everyone by now you would think is aware of it,
its is advertised every month in the Fishing News where it is, so no real excuse for not know there is a No Fishing Zone
as for the Comm fishing it, if it belonged to a Comm then he should know better.
it used to be policed quite vigorously by Air and Harbour Master with warnings then fines,
a few people have been prosecuted from memory,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OTK Lure fishing NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 5:32pm
OTK Lure fishing NZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have been wondering fish don't just sit in one spot and having the CPZ I felt enables fish to have some freedom within the area which I was happy about until I saw the COM buoy.

I will inspect closer for any details on the buoy in future. It does bring in all sorts of licensing if we go the other route with rego numbers on boats etc. in a way it's good and in others a pain in the butt.
Think like the fish, breath like the fish. I AM THE FISH!