Rotoiti / Okataina/ etc

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotoiti / Okataina/ etc
    Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 10:46am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Any news on the fishing there at the moment?
Thinking of Lake trip there Mon/Tue jigging most likely.

Taupo seems good now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 6:21pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After speaking with Pat from Ngongotaha (and thanks to UncLE from the forum),  three of us from the shop are heading to ROtoiti for the day Tuesday mainly jigging.
Pat has been catching a few fish up to 4kg and over ! in the last few weeks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 9:29pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Good luck for Tuesday Russell.
I'm hoping to get back down there later in the week when the wind drops out a bit ( hopefully)
Had a good sesh yesterday afternoon, some nice fish up to 3.4kgs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 9:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We were on Rotoiti on Friday.  We were jigging in 25 to 30m and fish were 4 to 9lbs.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 8:17am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys - really appreciate the info. Were you drifting, anchored or on the electric gps mtrs?
I'll ask for magic fly combo!!
Been told smelt top two flies with killer pattern, bully or wooly bugger type on bottom.
Variable forecast still looking good.
Will report good or bad.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 9:02am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yes Russell,we were using an electric gps motor & it was brilliant.

Your info re the patterns to use would be spot on.
I did best on a Bishops Blessing, that's a Parsons Glory with gold tinsel body but my mate was nailing them on virtually any smelt pattern he tried.
Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 12:32pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lumosinkers?
Thinking of trying the berkley lumo jig head.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 12:47pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Maybe worth a try~~who knowsBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 4:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Our boat was using an electric anchor too, kept us right over the fish. The fish I gutted all had smelt but a bully in one of them. Dunno what the flies were .... all look the same to me! Smelt patterns though in size 10 over 1m apart.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 5:54pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks boys - with all the info I'M under a bit of pressure to perform!!
Hope the wind stays away because we do not have a electric mtr yet.

Cheers

Russell
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 6:05pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Just enjoy the day & the beauty that is Rotoiti~~anything else, fish included, make up the bonusBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 6:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

From what I gather the trick is to distinguish between bait and trout. The trout appeared as uniform shapes all at a similar depth whereas the smelt were random sized blobs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 6:16pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Uncle - I get the enjoy the day thing - fish is a bonus. We are lucky you can travel from a big city (jaffaland) to world class trout fishing spend 8 hrs there and still be back by 9pm - all in one day. Takes a bit of effort but you only live once - experience it all! Makes a change from snapper fishing for sure.

Smudge - Yes that is what I remember too from last time. My little hummingbird struggled at times with the thermoclyne - at times unreliable readings under it or getting thru it.
Tomorrow we are taking Brendans fc500 which has Lowrance hds7 touch and flash transducer with side scan so will be more accurate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 6:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Sweet! Good luck, I really enjoyed doing something different - I caught 4 or 5 fish now I think I'm the trout master Star Tell you what though, make sure you kill a few, we had some last night and it got a huge thumbs up from my gurnard/snapper/kahawai/albacore overdosed family. Beautiful red oily flesh and having the last of it tonight. Trout and chips tonight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 6:25pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 6:31pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

We mostly watched the Lowrance but the Huminbird did give good info.
It was handy being able to see where the sinker was sitting.
Sorry about the pic quality, I can see the fish on the Lowrance but they not showing up too well on here. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 6:42pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not exactly on this lakes but Tarawera produced some nice fish for me on my kayak over waitangi weekend.

Picked up 3 fish in a couple of hours and two of them would have been at least 6 pound, fat as!

One big one I kept was full of freshwater crays but I caught him on a smelt pattern, the other biggie was on the wooly bugger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 6:43pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Those koura munchers are the ones  BFIST~~great eating Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 9:37pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry to report a bit of a fail really.
The jigging was very hard - we all managed 1 or 2 but only small fish that were all released. Conditions were variable - from 2-3 knots to 10 knots . Not bad at all. Lots of smelt sign - more up eastern end of lake.
Spoke to a chap in a stabi who was at anchor - he ended up with 6 averaging 4lb!! He was up Otaramarae end of lake.
We tried all manner of smelt flies, the new jelly bean flies, bullies and kilwell no 1 flies. Uv flies, lumo sinkers.....
Lots of fish would follow up to surface without striking  - but they were not monsters.
Jigged from 20m to 43m - mostly 30-35m

Trolling with lead line we got one really nice 2.5kg rainbow in perfect nick plus 2-3 others that were a  bit small.
We tried a downrigger and got a couple more small ones on that. Lots trout marking in 20-30m quite often in much deeper water.

Back to the drawing board im afraid but think that anchoring in a prime spot or using electric gps motors are a distinct advantage over drifting like we were doing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:17pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

That's not a fail Red, that's what would be considered  a reasonable day by most who fish the lakesBig smile
Although, having said that, I intend doing better when it's my turn tomorrowLOL

pm sent.
Page  12>