Bonze light gauge hooks

Page  123 18>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote K'OTIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bonze light gauge hooks
    Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:01pm
K'OTIC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thinking of changing my set up and the bonze method seems a no brainer ,he has sold out of his light guage hooks, i was thinking that the gamakatsu SL12 may do the job, any one else use these, if not what would you recomend?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:04pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

bart pa maybe

Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 6:24am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by K'OTIC K'OTIC wrote:

] Thinking of changing my set up and the bonze method seems a no brainer ,he has sold out of his light guage hooks, i was thinking that the gamakatsu SL12 may do the job, any one else use these, if not what would you recomend?
They are very sharp but also very light. Great foe SW flyfishing.
The Pakula Dojos are excellent hooks - that's what I use but just a single hook and small lure.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 7:13am
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mangre 2 mangre 2 wrote:

bart pa maybe

Yep a close thing. Smart marine have them, running out though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 11:31am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How about gamagutsu in line octopus 4x stron hooks. They are supposed to be like SL12S just heavier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 12:48pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

How about gamagutsu in line octopus 4x stron hooks. They are supposed to be like SL12S just heavier

Been using these yourself Jake or something else.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 1:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Not yet Matt. Ive done alot of overseas forum searching and reading on yhe light guage hook debate. And read the info of what I posted.   I am currently re rigging with SL12S BUT I AM AWARE u cant put much pressure on them. I will be sure to let u know how I go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 10:19am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Gammy hooks are perfect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 10:40am
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

find some vmc round point hooks size 8 is big enough, great hooks and proven!.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 11:35am
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

used SL12 for 10kg, no problems at all, seem to make the fish go a bit mental on hookup though
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 2:00pm
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Panga Panga wrote:

used SL12 for 10kg, no problems at all, seem to make the fish go a bit mental on hookup though
The one we hooked up on with the Bonze hooks went berserk...I would too if I had a hook sunk over 25mm into my jaw with some asshole tugging on it.. probably why they "react" as they do.
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 4:02pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The one we hooked up with the Bonze hooks went berserk too...and after 20 seconds of berserk...the hook snapped
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 4:52pm
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Tone E Tone E wrote:

The one we hooked up with the Bonze hooks went berserk too...and after 20 seconds of berserk...the hook snapped
How much drag was on it??
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 5:01pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by supermodel supermodel wrote:

Less than line weight I would hazard a guess at Phil but then he may have been using heavy stuff, Panga was on 10kg............ or George was, either way they got the fish

There's been a bit of up an down regarding Bonze hooks and I've stayed right out of it so far, I do see the merits of light gauge and once the bizzo gets sorted I may convert from Mitsu or Mustad 7691.
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 5:20pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

5kgs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 5:23pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tone e - did it snap behind the barb or on the bottom of the gape ?
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 7:42pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

5kgs

Have you got a photo with that snapped hook? just interesting to see.

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote :Hunter: Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 7:59pm
:Hunter: View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What about mustard hoodlum hooks?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 8:17pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hoodlums dissolve like candy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 8:26pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We also learnt the hard way today loosing a fish in the early stages of hooking up to a twin light gauge hook rig failing.1 hook clean snapped off and another partially straightened.

Be very careful pushing the limits of these hooks. Strike drag tested when home and was 6.5kg so to be fair heavier than or should have been.

If using 24 or 37 kg outfits make sure you redo your drag settings to match the hooks.
Page  123 18>